The Student Room Group

Wannabe Investment Banker in 1st year uni, AMA

Got a penultimate year offer at a BB Investment Bank at the age of 19, in my first year of university.

I would advise asking me how I got it, if anyone's interested in going down the same route, else ask whatever.

Scroll to see replies

You sound so up yourself lol. Aren't you at a crap uni?
Reply 2
Have you ever struggled with cocaine addiction and found yourself buying under armour running shoes on amazon for a price better than the one offered by JD sports?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Adipoptosis
You sound so up yourself lol. Aren't you at a crap uni?

I study at Cass, semi-target for IB, so in a pretty fortunate position, given I'm not the smartest of individuals.

Original post by ElChapo
Have you ever struggled with cocaine addiction and found yourself buying under armour running shoes on amazon for a price better than the one offered by JD sports?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Never did drugs in my life, miracolously, given the area I grew up in.

Was never rich enough to shop at JD so don't know the relative price associations, I can tell you about those 70% discounts at Sports Direct though
Reply 4
What was the offer, do you have to get a certain grade at uni or something?
Original post by Abdul-Karim
I study at Cass, semi-target for IB, so in a pretty fortunate position, given I'm not the smartest of individuals.

Was never rich enough to shop at JD so don't know the relative price associations, I can tell you about those 70% discounts at Sports Direct though

Hmm ok, well good luck. I hope you get into PE eventually.
Got a penultimate year offer at a BB Investment Bank at the age of 19, in my first year of university.

I would advise asking me how I got it, if anyone's interested in going down the same route, else ask whatever.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What area of investment banking do you eventually want to get into?
Reply 7
Original post by Adipoptosis
Hmm ok, well good luck. I hope you get into PE eventually.

PE as in physical education?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are your exams finished or have they just began? How much revision are you doing per day over the holidays/revision period?

Why didn't you go to a different and slightly more 'targeted' University considering how IB is something you really want to get into?
Cheese or sausages?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Why specifically did you choose investment banking as your target profession?

I am asking this as a future quant, so I'm not asking this from an anti-finance point of view
Original post by Blyts-_
What was the offer, do you have to get a certain grade at uni or something?

A summer penultimate year offer in IBD.. unconditional :smile:

Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
What area of investment banking do you eventually want to get into?

The area I'll be interning in, IBD

Original post by ElChapo
PE as in physical education?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Private Equity - buy side
(edited 9 years ago)
Posted from TSR Mobile
How does it feel to know most of the country hates you?
Reply 14
Haters gon' hate OP
Original post by Reddington
Are your exams finished or have they just began? How much revision are you doing per day over the holidays/revision period?

Haven't begun. I do enough that I hopefuly will get good results. I just revise what I don't understand, have no speciifc routine.

Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
Why didn't you go to a different and slightly more 'targeted' University considering how IB is something you really want to get into?

I get this a lot. I had the A level grades to go to a more targetted university, but I simply didn't want to study Economics. I'm not a big fan of Academics and going to LSE/UCL for Econ is just a **** tonne of work that I really don't want to be doing. I decided to go Cass because it gets people into IB/noticeable semi-target, I felt the course was designed for me tbf, it's in London so close to the banks.

Really and truly I didn't know what university was until end of year 12, so to have even made it to uni for me was a great achievement. There was noone holding my hand guiding me down the 'correct path' per say. It was on TSR when I stumbled across the IB sub-forum when I realised that university mattered, and out of all my choices Cass was the only semi-target so just tried to get the grades for them which worked out in the end.

Original post by channies
Cheese or sausages?

Sausages - halal though :K:
Original post by VannR
Why specifically did you choose investment banking as your target profession?

I am asking this as a future quant, so I'm not asking this from an anti-finance point of view

Interest for the role, working with smart people, the compensation, developing an entrepreneurial mindest, working alongside multi-national corporations, hyper career progression, the amount I can learn in said environment, making practical use of my degree

Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
How does it feel to know most of the country hates you?

There are many misconceptions about the people who work in the industry. I hope noone hates me, I don't give people a reason to for the most part.
What is your preferred method of revision? Using textbooks, YouTube videos, Lecture slides or all of the above?
Original post by Reddington
What is your preferred method of revision? Using textbooks, YouTube videos, Lecture slides or all of the above?

YouTube videos by far.. I don't think I've ever read a text book to learn anything :lol:

I just have them open for aesthetics
Did the bank offer to pay for your tuition fees since you will surely work for them?

Quick Reply

Latest