The Student Room Group
At the Student's Union
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website

Living in Wolverhampton

Hi there,

I recently applied for an NTJC at the Wolverhampton City College. I've been at Uni in Plymouth for the past 3 years and lived in Coventry (other side of Birmingham) all my life.
However, after living by the coast and growing up in the Midlands having only ventured as far as Birmingham, I wouldn't mind knowing what the city is like.

Because I'd be studying as postgraduate student I would still like to live in student areas, seeing as its an hour commute from Coventry which is too long for morning classes :tongue:.
The course has a good rep and I don't want the city to put me off studying there - but is it a better option to live in Birmingham and commute along the motorway by car?

What are peoples experiences of living in Wolverhampton as students?
Note, I have grew up in the midlands city, coventry rated 8th worst in the UK, so I'm pretty much prepared to deal with the industrial crime. But is it pretty dire?
Reply 1
Original post by mcgreevy1993
Hi there,

I recently applied for an NTJC at the Wolverhampton City College. I've been at Uni in Plymouth for the past 3 years and lived in Coventry (other side of Birmingham) all my life.
However, after living by the coast and growing up in the Midlands having only ventured as far as Birmingham, I wouldn't mind knowing what the city is like.

Because I'd be studying as postgraduate student I would still like to live in student areas, seeing as its an hour commute from Coventry which is too long for morning classes :tongue:.
The course has a good rep and I don't want the city to put me off studying there - but is it a better option to live in Birmingham and commute along the motorway by car?

What are peoples experiences of living in Wolverhampton as students?
Note, I have grew up in the midlands city, coventry rated 8th worst in the UK, so I'm pretty much prepared to deal with the industrial crime. But is it pretty dire?

I see your 8th worst in UK and raise you fifth worst in the world -

Nah, being real though having been to Coventry for the weekend last week and living quite close to Wolverhampton I don't feel they're too dissimilar. Wolverhampton was definitely worse a few years back (don't know the article dates but it was 5ish years) but it's had a lot of improvement recently.

I wouldn't want to live in Birmingham, though. To live anywhere nice you'll be paying an extortionate amount and Brum isn't all flowers and roses itself - a lot of it is just as bad, if not worse. The number 9 bus is literally stab-central.
At the Student's Union
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website
Wolverhampton is a quiet town, its not bad but not good. Barcrawls are a lot of fun is the town that happen every month and easy to make friends. There is a lot worse places in the UK, Birmingham takes away a lot of the tourism being so close

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending