The Student Room Group

Why am I not improving anymore?

I started driving lessons around the end of January. I've just done my 14th lesson now. At the start I could really see myself improving and getting better, but now I just seem to be going backwards. I'm stalling the car more than anything, I'm forgetting to put the clutch down when I'm breaking, my gear changing is dreadful and I've just lost all confidence in my ability to drive now.

Is this normal? Does everyone go through this stage? I feel like I need a huge break from driving, even though I'm only doing 1-2 hours per week. Unfortunately, I can't take part in private practice as my mum doesn't drive and it's too expensive to insure myself on my dad's car. I'm having to rely on the lessons themselves and I'm feeling like this isn't enough.

My instructor's fine, he's as patient as is possible when I'm doing about 5 things wrong in a row and stalling the car every time I move off. It's just getting ridiculous now and I don't know how to solve it. I guess I'm just hoping that whatever's happened to me, will just go away and I will get back to my usual good driving technique! It's as if there's a huge block in my brain that won't move. It seems like the more I concentrate, the worse I perform in a car.

Please tell me these issues are normal, I'm beginning to not want to continue with driving and just accept that I can't do it :frown:
Reply 1
Sounds completely normal to me! I passed my test 2 months ago, but I was very slow to start with. I initially saw huge improvements and thought I was picking things up quickly but about 2/3 months after my first lesson I just seemed to be useless at everything! But I can't stress enough, do not give up! It's worth it in the end! Also, I probably wouldn't take a break if I were you, you just need to try to keep pushing yourself, everyone learns at very different paces! But there is no pressure for you to learn quickly! Just keep trying your best, and try to enjoy the lessons as much as you can! It will all come a bit more naturally to you sooner if you keep taking your lessons :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It might be you're just over thinking things! Don't get stressed out about it when you're driving and it may come naturally to you when you drive again- your technique is probably still there but you're "trying too hard"
Reply 3
Original post by Molly648
Sounds completely normal to me! I passed my test 2 months ago, but I was very slow to start with. I initially saw huge improvements and thought I was picking things up quickly but about 2/3 months after my first lesson I just seemed to be useless at everything! But I can't stress enough, do not give up! It's worth it in the end! Also, I probably wouldn't take a break if I were you, you just need to try to keep pushing yourself, everyone learns at very different paces! But there is no pressure for you to learn quickly! Just keep trying your best, and try to enjoy the lessons as much as you can! It will all come a bit more naturally to you sooner if you keep taking your lessons :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's exactly what's happening to me! On my first lesson, I was so good with the breaks and my instructor was saying 'i can't wait to get you out on the road'. I bet he's regretting saying that now hahaha!!! I guess it just hasn't clicked yet, I'm hoping that by the time I hit 20 hours, I'll have pretty much nailed basic driving and I can move on with more manoeuvres and other techniques!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by somegirlcalledea
It might be you're just over thinking things! Don't get stressed out about it when you're driving and it may come naturally to you when you drive again- your technique is probably still there but you're "trying too hard"

I am definitely a person that thinks too much about what I'm doing. But I have really bad moments where I just zone out and completely forget how to control the car, it's really bad! I'm not a nervous driver though, like I don't tense up or anything so I don't know what's up with me. Just not fully comfortable with it yet :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by CeeDixon
I am definitely a person that thinks too much about what I'm doing. But I have really bad moments where I just zone out and completely forget how to control the car, it's really bad! I'm not a nervous driver though, like I don't tense up or anything so I don't know what's up with me. Just not fully comfortable with it yet :frown:

you'll probably find as you take more responsibility for driving, and add in various new things, you tend to drop the less important stuff, whilst working on the basics its all seems fairly easy, because you're actually doing very little, bar moving the car around, your instructor would have been doing more than you probably realise, this is why there usually seems to be a huge drop in ability when you add more things in, all the correct checks etc, taking full responsibility for everything, add more traffic, add more complex scenarios, the basic things tend to get lost whilst you get the new stuff in to your head and have to deal with more

Driving is quite a complex skill if you break it down and overloading your brain can easily happen, the act of moving a car is easy, but 'driving' is harder, it only becomes 'easy' when its all taken hold and it all becomes more natural, and becomes ingrained in your subconscious, the only way that'll happen is through practice and experience.

this is why experienced drivers make it look easy, because they don't have to consciously think about or decide what they are doing, it all just happens, when you're still at the stage of having to think things through, things are going to seem more labored, because you are aware of it, because you need the time to process things and act on them.

It'll come together faster than you think, during one lesson, which is probably not far off it'll all just click, and you'll then work on ironing out the little niggles and things that you're not entirely happy with, whilst you're doing this your general driving ability will probably reduce slightly, because your mind is preoccupied on sorting out the other stuff, don't be surprised if as you get up to standard you have some really off lessons, especially when approaching your test.
Reply 6
That's exactly what's happening to me! On my first lesson, I was so good with the breaks and my instructor was saying 'i can't wait to get you out on the road'. I bet he's regretting saying that now hahaha!!! I guess it just hasn't clicked yet, I'm hoping that by the time I hit 20 hours, I'll have pretty much nailed basic driving and I can move on with more manoeuvres and other techniques!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will! It just takes time and patience unfortunately! Trust me if I can do it anyone can:tongue:
Reply 7
You just need to focus on your goal, learning to drive a motor vehicle safely, not pass cat b. I did it this way - took my time. I've recently passed, I got told to drive a transit van (with a friend pissing about) back to work for the boss, I **** myself - but it was natural; you don't get worse with practice!
I started driving lessons around the end of January. I've just done my 14th lesson now. At the start I could really see myself improving and getting better, but now I just seem to be going backwards. I'm stalling the car more than anything, I'm forgetting to put the clutch down when I'm breaking, my gear changing is dreadful and I've just lost all confidence in my ability to drive now.

Is this normal? Does everyone go through this stage? I feel like I need a huge break from driving, even though I'm only doing 1-2 hours per week. Unfortunately, I can't take part in private practice as my mum doesn't drive and it's too expensive to insure myself on my dad's car. I'm having to rely on the lessons themselves and I'm feeling like this isn't enough.

My instructor's fine, he's as patient as is possible when I'm doing about 5 things wrong in a row and stalling the car every time I move off. It's just getting ridiculous now and I don't know how to solve it. I guess I'm just hoping that whatever's happened to me, will just go away and I will get back to my usual good driving technique! It's as if there's a huge block in my brain that won't move. It seems like the more I concentrate, the worse I perform in a car.

Please tell me these issues are normal, I'm beginning to not want to continue with driving and just accept that I can't do it :frown:

Don't worry! This happened to me in the 2 weeks before my driving test (not sure if it was anxiety or not), but luckily I'd booked more lessons in very close together so that I was driving every 2/3 days. I'd defo recommend making your lessons a bit closer together so that manoeuvres are fresh in your mind every time you drive. Also helps if you/your instructor draws diagrams to stick on your bedroom wall - that way you'll fall asleep visualising what you need to do. Hope this helps!
The way you explained yourself seems like I wouldn't let u drive in future just for your sake of life.:biggrin:
Jk!! I guess u fear a lot. No wonder u will build up confidence with few more practices. Just keep going.
Posted from TSR Mobile
How long as this been going on now? Sounds like you're doing one lesson a week, it's very possible you've just had a few bad lessons in a row but where those lessons have been over the space of a few weeks it seems like you've been driving badly for a long time. I did a semi-intensive course and halfway through I had a few lessons in a row where I kept screwing up, but where those few lessons were only over the space of a few days it didn't seem so bad and the phase of bad driving soon passed. Maybe try taking your lessons at a different time of the day to shake things up if you're used to taking them at a specific time?
Reply 11
Original post by WoodyMKC
How long as this been going on now? Sounds like you're doing one lesson a week, it's very possible you've just had a few bad lessons in a row but where those lessons have been over the space of a few weeks it seems like you've been driving badly for a long time. I did a semi-intensive course and halfway through I had a few lessons in a row where I kept screwing up, but where those few lessons were only over the space of a few days it didn't seem so bad and the phase of bad driving soon passed. Maybe try taking your lessons at a different time of the day to shake things up if you're used to taking them at a specific time?

I take them different days of the week every time, and mostly different times too. I think I'm going through a phase to be honest, I can be like this with a lot of things. I guess it will just take some getting used to, just like everything that you learn does!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm forgetting to put the clutch down when I'm breaking,(

Find another instructor.

You are being taught not just bad habits but dangerous habits. Your clutch should only go in when you are just short of the stall point when stopping the car.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending