The Student Room Group
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton

Southampton Solent accommodation

I'm starting uni on September but I don't know which halls to apply for should I go for an en suite or non en suite ?

and if you go to Solent which halls is the best to live in?
Ive only seen Kimber which is a en suite

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hatago
I'm starting uni on September but I don't know which halls to apply for should I go for an en suite or non en suite ?

and if you go to Solent which halls is the best to live in?
Ive only seen Kimber which is a en suite

I went to solent and it really depends on what you want from your halls.

Kimber is closest to uni and would knock 5 minutes off your journey in it is pretty nice and the common room is a nice touch.

Chantry is a little further away than Kimber (although not too far) and right next door to Deanery (more on that later) it is in my opinion one of the less nice halls. But if you intend to bring a car it has a garage. It is not en-suite which has it's plus and minus points you don't have to clean the bathrooms as long as it's left tidy an no skid marks the cleaners will take care of that but you have to work around other people if your sick thats hard.

Deanery is generally regarded as one of the nicest halls the rooms are generous and the common room has a Wii it is also en-suite it s funny I lived there but I can't think of much to say about it it is furthest from the uni before the railway bridge but agent's only half an hour of less to uni.

Hamwick Is the quiter hall it's in St Mary's (or the getto as it is sometimes known) I really don't know much about it I think it's ensuite and it is in a quieter location close to take aways but thats all I know.

LFW is known as the party hall among students it is close to the stylish ocean village (which is probably why it's he party hall) it's a bit further from the centre of town than any other hall and also a bit further from uni so be prepared for that it is also non en suite and you also have to cross the railway bridge to get to it which is a bit sketchy at night hope I helped.
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton
Reply 2
I was in LFW last year and loved it, except the cleaners nicking our stuff but the accomodation managers etc gave us money in return. lfw is only a 20 minute walk from uni and you get used to non en suite really quickly. i personally wouldnt say its worth paying extra for an en suite when you have to tidy it etc yourself. also if you ever have people round your flat for drinks etc or have a party you have to let people into your rooms to use the toilet which caused some issues for my friends in other halls.
Reply 3
I'm at Solent at the moment and live in Deanery. I guess it really depends what you're looking for which one you apply to, although they're all pretty similar.

If you have any questions about halls or anything about the uni, feel free to message me :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by kcsmith
I'm at Solent at the moment and live in Deanery. I guess it really depends what you're looking for which one you apply to, although they're all pretty similar.

If you have any questions about halls or anything about the uni, feel free to message me :smile:

I'm looking to join Southampton Solent in September and i'm looking for a chilled kind of environment, which halls would you recommend?
Original post by nishg
I'm looking to join Southampton Solent in September and i'm looking for a chilled kind of environment, which halls would you recommend?

Kimber Deanery or Hamwick
Reply 6
Original post by nishg

If chilled is what you're after then definitely not LFW! Deanery is okay, and probably the nicer of the residences. I would probably recommend Hamwic though as I think it's the most 'quiet'. But I think with any residence, you'll have to be prepared for a little crazy - it's uni halls after all!
Reply 7
Original post by kcsmith
If chilled is what you're after then definitely not LFW! Deanery is okay, and probably the nicer of the residences. I would probably recommend Hamwic though as I think it's the most 'quiet'. But I think with any residence, you'll have to be prepared for a little crazy - it's uni halls after all!

What's LFW like then? Is it the party kind of halls?
Yep LFW is crazy
Reply 9
Original post by nishg
What's LFW like then? Is it the party kind of halls?

Yeah it's the biggest halls so naturally a lot more hectic.
Reply 10
In your opinion is an en suite worth it? Because Lucia is £95 a week and deanery is £128 a week

Are en suites more convenient for when you have someone in your room so they wouldn't have to go outside and be seen lol?
Reply 11
Original post by hatago
In your opinion is an en suite worth it? Because Lucia is £95 a week and deanery is £128 a week

Are en suites more convenient for when you have someone in your room so they wouldn't have to go outside and be seen lol?

Haha yes that's one reason. But there are others such as privacy, convenience, cleanliness etc. Shared bathrooms are cleaned daily I believe, except at weekends. But still with your own bathroom you don't have to worry about what other people... leave behind...

But it's really down to you, how much privacy you want and quite importantly how much that extra £35 a week would be to you.

Personally I stayed in Deanery for 2 years and I loved every minute of it and I do not think I wasted money on the en-suite :smile:
Reply 12
I'm a bit confused as to why LFW price for the standard period of residence is £15 more per week than that of the extended period. It works out £10 more expensive for the extended 48 week residency, can anyone shed any light on why that is??
Reply 13
I was thinking that too tbh I think that's probably for people that won't be able to move out on time but that's just me guessing.. Have you applied for you halls yet I got the email on Tuesday
I'm also stuck on which halls to stay in. I haven't viewed any but by the pictures online they all look really dated and not very appealing. What is it actually like to live in them?
Reply 15
Original post by sianharding1
I'm also stuck on which halls to stay in. I haven't viewed any but by the pictures online they all look really dated and not very appealing. What is it actually like to live in them?

The kitchens are outdated in the photos. In the last couple of years there has been some modernisation, at least in Deanery where I stayed where kitchens were redone during my 1st and 2nd years and now look very nice. Can't confirm if this is for all residences but it's probably something that's has been done gradually over time.

They are very nice to live in though. There's a residence team during the day and security at night so always people to go to if you have problems. You don't have to worry about bills and if anything breaks you simply report it and it gets fixed. It's great. And halls are very social and they're good to meet new people, whether it be at a flat party or just in the common room.
Original post by jonathanemptage
Hamwick Is the quiter hall it's in St Mary's (or the ghetto as it is sometimes known) I really don't know much about it I think it's ensuite and it is in a quieter location close to take aways but thats all I know.
HAMWIC IS NOT QUIET!!!!!Why am I seeing this a bit? I mean, how bad are the other's?!

It might be compared to other's, but I've been woke up at least once week, every week I've been here! I'm not sure if it's just the people in the corridor/kitchen that is just a bad group (well, only a few tbh), compared to other places in Hamwic, but I've not really enjoyed my experience =/

I think I am kinda 'different' to most people here tho :s-smilie: I do like it quite quiet, and to have food (eggs, pizza, onions etc) not thrown around (kitchen and corridor) and people stealing your food =/ But this is kinda gonna happen pretty much where-ever you are, your living with Uni students! But it's when people don't clean it up and you all get threatened with the cost of cleaning is what is annoying about it! I've learnt is that some Uni students aren't as mature as I thought! It kinda goes back to high school 'maturity' at times.

There is a number you can text (anonymously) but they have to catch the person in the act to do something about it, they do write down every call out, but if they don't find anything (or the person/people if there is) nothing can be done, apart from keep an eye out. They have to have a few of them (complaints) for them to actually do something, and with the people I shared with they didn't change or anything, just made them hate me (which IDC, they haven't showed any respect to me so they ain't getting any back). You can request to move within the halls or to a different, but I couldn't be bothered with that hassle

But it is mostly ok, ear plugs are a life, or sleep, saver, and in the day its fine (mind the odd cigarette and weed smoke filling your room) it has gotten better throughout the year + a disrespectful person moved out.

and yes, St Mary's...interesting place... Wouldn't go there alone after dark. There is a Tesco Express down there and lots of other convenience shops, but most of these are European food based, so you might not be too familiar with the products, but they're fine :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by LouElizabeth
HAMWIC IS NOT QUIET!!!!!Why am I seeing this a bit?

Because it's billed as the quiet hall.
Original post by jonathanemptage
Because it's billed as the quiet hall.
Lol, well.....it isn't =P
Original post by LouElizabeth
Lol, well.....it isn't =P

I agree it's not a very good description maybe quieter than LFW would be a better description because by all accounts LFW is crazy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending