The Student Room Group

OCR A Chemistry AS Unit 1- F321 Atoms, bonds and groups -May 22 2015

Hi I haven't seen anyone make a thread for this yet, so fire away how you guys are getting on?

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by underestimate
Hi I haven't seen anyone make a thread for this yet, so fire away how you guys are getting on?

really well actually, done every past paper and they generally repeat themselves more or less, yourself?
Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Original post by corey7695
really well actually, done every past paper and they generally repeat themselves more or less, yourself?

Yeah need to revise the content and will soon start the past papers. I feel like there aren't enough past papers, so might check out some questions from other exam boards. How is unit 2 going?:smile:
Yeah need to revise the content and will soon start the past papers. I feel like there aren't enough past papers, so might check out some questions from other exam boards. How is unit 2 going?:smile:

I would really get cracking if I were you, there's a lot to go over, especially for unit 2. And it's going pretty well, getting A's in the past papers I've done, but it's taken a lot of mistakes to get to this point haha
Original post by corey7695
I would really get cracking if I were you, there's a lot to go over, especially for unit 2. And it's going pretty well, getting A's in the past papers I've done, but it's taken a lot of mistakes to get to this point haha

For like this week I was focusing on Unit 2 and because as you said there is quite a lot of content, and yeahh I would have to make a lot of mistakes before to do well :smile:
I'm doing pretty well in F321 got an A in my mock :smile:
I know with lots more past paper practise I can get an A in the exam
However, Unit 2 is quite a burden as the paper is soo long and I hate organic chemistry and analysis.
Original post by tcameron
I'm doing pretty well in F321 got an A in my mock :smile:
I know with lots more past paper practise I can get an A in the exam
However, Unit 2 is quite a burden as the paper is soo long and I hate organic chemistry and analysis.

Well done :smile: Yeah the Unit 2 paper is quite long, but I enjoy it more than unit 1 as I feel it is more interesting.
Reply 9
Hi I am sitting this exam too, have you finished the content?
Hey!

I am getting on pretty good! Getting A's in Unit 1.
For Unit 2, haven't had the chance to do past papers yet but in my opinion I prefer Unit 2 for some reason :dontknow:.

In my sixth-form we have done all modules apart from Unit 2: Module 4 Resources, everyone is saying its 'easy' but I am not sure so I have to look through it later.

Good luck on your revision and get it done as soon as possible!
Hi there!

I've admittedly re-sitting, but it's all going pretty well papers up to 2013 were all pretty much the same!

One thing that did throw me was the 2014 paper, it seemed a bit weird compared to the rest, and I expect this years paper to be in the same vein.

Get practising with application of knowledge I reckon, its gonna be that and not the normal regurgitation.
Reply 12
Can anyone help me,
I really struggle with the big mark bonding and structure questions.

I never know when somethings simple molecular or giant ionic or giant covalent etc.. How can you tell from just the molecular formula??

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are 11 F321 past papers (including June 2014). How many do you need?

I'd caution against doing other exam boards' papers. In some cases it'd be rather counter productive, e.g. Edexcel define a p-block element differently to OCR. If you gave their definition, it would lose you a mark on an OCR paper.
Original post by clara16
Can anyone help me,

I never know when somethings simple molecular or giant ionic or giant covalent etc.. How can you tell from just the molecular formula??

Does it have a high or low melting/boiling point, then it is simple or giant.

If you aren't given those values, is it a metal (metallic bonding), non-metals bonded to metals (ionic bonding) or non-metals bonded to non-metals (covalent).

If it is covalent, is it graphite, diamond or SiO2 (or Si, SiC, B, BN and a few others) then it is giant. Otherwise it'll be simple.

Actually, re-reading your post, if you've got a molecular formula, then it is covalent.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pigster
There are 11 F321 past papers (including June 2014). How many do you need?

I'd caution against doing other exam boards' papers. In some cases it'd be rather counter productive, e.g. Edexcel define a p-block element differently to OCR. If you gave their definition, it would lose you a mark on an OCR paper.

I didn't realise there were that many, thanks, but the mole questions would be the same, like for extra practice on these.
Original post by clara16
Can anyone help me,

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is easier to look at the position of the element in the periodic table and know where the metals and non-metals are located, that way you can define what type of bonding it has.
Then for these questions I do:
The structure: i,e giant ionic lattice
The bonding: ionic bond and sometimes describe it
Then I relate it to the explanation, for example ionic compounds conduct electricity when molten due to the ions being mobile....
Original post by charliebe2
Hi there!

I've admittedly re-sitting, but it's all going pretty well papers up to 2013 were all pretty much the same!

One thing that did throw me was the 2014 paper, it seemed a bit weird compared to the rest, and I expect this years paper to be in the same vein.

Get practising with application of knowledge I reckon, its gonna be that and not the normal regurgitation.

Yeah the application questions sometimes catch me out, I wonder how this year's paper will be?
Original post by Student07YT
Hey!

I am getting on pretty good! Getting A's in Unit 1.
For Unit 2, haven't had the chance to do past papers yet but in my opinion I prefer Unit 2 for some reason :dontknow:.

In my sixth-form we have done all modules apart from Unit 2: Module 4 Resources, everyone is saying its 'easy' but I am not sure so I have to look through it later.

Good luck on your revision and get it done as soon as possible!

Hii!
That makes me relieved because we havent started module 4 yet and I though my sixth form was way behind :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Pigster
Does it have a high or low melting/boiling point, then it is simple or giant.

If you aren't given those values, is it a metal (metallic bonding), non-metals bonded to metals (ionic bonding) or non-metals bonded to non-metals (covalent).

If it is covalent, is it graphite, diamond or SiO2 (or Si, SiC, B, BN and a few others) then it is giant. Otherwise it'll be simple.

Actually, re-reading your post, if you've got a molecular formula, then it is covalent.

So low melting point = simple. High melting point = giant ionic/covalent depending on the atoms in the compound?

Thanks so much

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest