The Student Room Group

What's likely to be in the AS Sociology AQA Families and Households exam May 12t 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by thiss1
hi

i am studying the following topics for the aqa exam

families and household
education
research methods.

Can someone please provide me with revision materials and essays

It would really help me out.

Thanks

Best hope is to go and buy a Sociology Revision guide, best places will be eBay or Amazon as you should only use it for one year no point wasting £20 on one.

Google Sociology AS level, then what you're studying might help.

You've only got just over 2 weeks until your Family exam so better get started!
Original post by tinak96
Chapter 6, Postmodernism has not came up in a while so I think it could come too! Also Childhood, I agree has a high chance of coming up

I haven't learnt much about Post-modernism at all! What would you write about and what do they say about the family? Help me!:frown:
Reply 22
Original post by jaimieleigh1
I haven't learnt much about Post-modernism at all! What would you write about and what do they say about the family? Help me!:frown:

Came up June 2013
Reply 23
Original post by jaimieleigh1

Postmodernists are basically just a criticism. All they say is that we choose what we want, what family type, what role we play within the fam, we chose our resource allocation. Just use them to criticise other approaches like Marxism that say we're controlled by an overall system (capitalism), pm would say we're not etc. don't forget to say it's the pick n mix approach it's like chosing what sweets to put in a bag. Don't think there's any names for it.
What are the key things to know about social policy (with regards to families and households)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by LewisW180598
What are the key things to know about social policy (with regards to families and households)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Be able to define social policy and the welfare state. Go into the 4 sections of welfare state (nhs, pensions, benefits and state schools) then use them as paragraphs within in an essay or something by going through the laws for each one. E.g national health service act 48 for nhs, 1908 old age pensions act, 1925 contributory pensions act, 1948 nhs for pensions, 1991 child support for benefits, 1870 Forster, 1944 butler 1973 edu act for schools etc then talk about child adoption 2002, civil partnership 2004, 1990 care homes act for family types and 1969 divorce reform, 1984 matrimonial and family proceedings, 1996 family law act for divorce laws
Original post by Vidal16
Postmodernists are basically just a criticism. All they say is that we choose what we want, what family type, what role we play within the fam, we chose our resource allocation. Just use them to criticise other approaches like Marxism that say we're controlled by an overall system (capitalism), pm would say we're not etc. don't forget to say it's the pick n mix approach it's like chosing what sweets to put in a bag. Don't think there's any names for it.

Thanks for that, really helped :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by Vidal16
Be able to define social policy and the welfare state. Go into the 4 sections of welfare state (nhs, pensions, benefits and state schools) then use them as paragraphs within in an essay or something by going through the laws for each one. E.g national health service act 48 for nhs, 1908 old age pensions act, 1925 contributory pensions act, 1948 nhs for pensions, 1991 child support for benefits, 1870 Forster, 1944 butler 1973 edu act for schools etc then talk about child adoption 2002, civil partnership 2004, 1990 care homes act for family types and 1969 divorce reform, 1984 matrimonial and family proceedings, 1996 family law act for divorce laws

Stare schools? Doesn't that come under Education?
Also isn't it more important to know the perspectives on social policy?
Reply 28
My College believe that Social Policy and Childhood would come up this is why they used it in the mock.

I have a strange feeling on something about Family Diversity. Demography is the longest to learn, I'm really hoping for Childhood I can talk about Aries Postman Pilcher Hillman.

Any perspectives of the family would be a treat :smile:.
Reply 29
Original post by xxvine
Stare schools? Doesn't that come under Education?
Also isn't it more important to know the perspectives on social policy?

State schools isn't in depth, it's just about when it became free, compulsory, then when the age was raised to 15 and curriculum came in, then raised to 16. I guess about approaches you would just say Marx would think it's just to sociolise children into capitalism values more. Feminists might say school favours boys as it allows them to express their confidence and make friends whereas girls have a bedroom culture mcrobbie and garber. New right think it's vital that a nuclear family sends their kids to school, and not a lone parent etc as lone parents are linked to edu failure and crime. School is an institution within society for functionalists
Reply 30
Original post by Samz15
My College believe that Social Policy and Childhood would come up this is why they used it in the mock.

I have a strange feeling on something about Family Diversity. Demography is the longest to learn, I'm really hoping for Childhood I can talk about Aries Postman Pilcher Hillman.

Any perspectives of the family would be a treat :smile:.

I am dreading childhood...it seems so hard:frown:
Just find the questions the hardest to answer:frown:

What does Hilman say?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by xxvine
I am dreading childhood...it seems so hard:frown:
Just find the questions the hardest to answer:frown:

What does Hilman say?

Hillman believes there are gender differences in childhood where boys are given more freedom and able to stay out late causing them to be more independent. Whereas, girls are more closely watched and parents are more strict on them causing a restriction on there freedom and to do more 'Chores' and domestic Labour.

You can also say this is more common in Asian families to protect family honor which could be a burden on girls. This is said by Julia Brannen and Ghazala Bhatti but I choose not to remember there names.
I've heard feminists is most likely as that hasn't come up for a super long time
Childhood and Social Policy?? FFS! And here's me thinking that Ageing population might come up lool! In regards to childhood and social policy, i absolutely hate both of those topics. I dont even know what i would talk about if a question about them came up. The only thing that i cant think off about childhood (from the top of my head) is toxic childhood, pester power, childhood disappearing because of media etc and some sociologist looked at paintings from the 13-15th century and compared it with today society, something along those lines.

Its disgusting that our exam is literally in 5 days and i dont know anything about childhood. >_< I need to revise more and more. At this rate, definitely gonna fail :colone:. With that being said, i hope birth rates or death rates comes up!
Reply 34
Original post by socalledtezzy
Childhood and Social Policy?? FFS! And here's me thinking that Ageing population might come up lool! In regards to childhood and social policy, i absolutely hate both of those topics. I dont even know what i would talk about if a question about them came up. The only thing that i cant think off about childhood (from the top of my head) is toxic childhood, pester power, childhood disappearing because of media etc and some sociologist looked at paintings from the 13-15th century and compared it with today society, something along those lines.

Its disgusting that our exam is literally in 5 days and i dont know anything about childhood. >_< I need to revise more and more. At this rate, definitely gonna fail :colone:. With that being said, i hope birth rates or death rates comes up!

Disappearing because of media - Postman
Looked at paintings - Aries
Toxic Childhood - Palmer

Another you can revise is Pilcher.

I hope you do well in your exam, and hope the same for me I'm stressed as.
Original post by Samz15
Disappearing because of media - Postman
Looked at paintings - Aries
Toxic Childhood - Palmer

Another you can revise is Pilcher.

I hope you do well in your exam, and hope the same for me I'm stressed as.

Oh yeahh, Niel Postman, Phillip Aries and Sue Palmer. OMG everything just popped back into my head. One big problem i have is remembering the dates, so does the dates matter?

And seriously, i wish you the best aswell. I wish everyone the best. However, im just confused to why everyone is mainly focusing on Social policy and childhood. What if it doesnt come up?

Honestly, im so frigging scared and stressed. I just dont want to fail, and i know everyone doesnt want to fail but i just have a feeling on tuesday im going to flop it!

Also, because everyone is predicting social policy and childhood. What if it actually comes up and everyone does well... Would they raise the grade boundaries. My friend told me that if everyone across the border does well, they will raise grade boundary, but if everyone does bad they will lower it. Dunno if thats true, but im just hoping for a good paper.
Reply 36
Taking this exam too - would love to know what may be on it - cause I really hate this whole topic.................
Reply 37
Oh yeahh, Niel Postman, Phillip Aries and Sue Palmer. OMG everything just popped back into my head. One big problem i have is remembering the dates, so does the dates matter?

And seriously, i wish you the best aswell. I wish everyone the best. However, im just confused to why everyone is mainly focusing on Social policy and childhood. What if it doesnt come up?

Honestly, im so frigging scared and stressed. I just dont want to fail, and i know everyone doesnt want to fail but i just have a feeling on tuesday im going to flop it!

Also, because everyone is predicting social policy and childhood. What if it actually comes up and everyone does well... Would they raise the grade boundaries. My friend told me that if everyone across the border does well, they will raise grade boundary, but if everyone does bad they will lower it. Dunno if thats true, but im just hoping for a good paper.

Grade boundaries things is true. Don't get stressed, worst thing you can do. You can always retake or might end up dropping it so never be worried about failing it. I'm sure you'll be fine!
Original post by Vidal16
Grade boundaries things is true. Don't get stressed, worst thing you can do. You can always retake or might end up dropping it so never be worried about failing it. I'm sure you'll be fine!

Thanks. Are you by any chance doing the exam as well?
Reply 39
Thanks. Are you by any chance doing the exam as well?

Yea, I started the question thing haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending