The Student Room Group

Should I make an effort to look more presentable?

I've really never cared about how people viewed me (and still don't), or thought about me. However, no matter how much I want to sugar coat it or succumb to everyone saying "Looks don't matter", the reality is it does and will always matter.

Short summary of me
- Very athletic (but can't really fit into skinny jeans)
- Have a messy mini afro (really cba to get haircuts)
- Look messy in general (except when wearing a suit)

Should I go throught the effort of looking more presentable. if so how?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kkboyk
I've really never cared about how people viewed me (and still don't), or thought about me. However, no matter how much I want to sugar coat it or succumb to everyone saying "Looks don't matter", the reality is it does and will always matter.

Short summary of me
- Very athletic (but can't really fit into skinny jeans)
- Have a messy mini afro (really cba to get haircuts)
- Look messy in general (except when wearing a suit)

Should I go throught the effort of looking more presentable. if so how?

In your general day-to-day life your looks certainly shouldn't get in the way of doing everything you want to do. But it is true that on some occasions and formal/social settings such as work it would be inappropriate to show up looking scruffy.
Here are some tips:

- Buy and wear clothes that suit you and since you are athletic you can show that off.
- Invest in a good pair of smart shoes.
- Get your hair cut & styled.
- Or if you really can't be bothered with the above, just use some products in it and keep it well brushed.
- Don't wear clothes that are obviously creased or dirty.
- Take care of your personal hygiene (wash, brush your teeth, wear body spray etc.)
Reply 2
Original post by Rainbownightlock
In your general day-to-day life your looks certainly shouldn't get in the way of doing everything you want to do. But it is true that on some occasions and formal/social settings such as work it would be inappropriate to show up looking scruffy.
Here are some tips:

- Buy and wear clothes that suit you and since you are athletic you can show that off.
- Invest in a good pair of smart shoes.
- Get your hair cut & styled.
- Or if you really can't be bothered with the above, just use some products in it and keep it well brushed.
- Don't wear clothes that are obviously creased or dirty.
- Take care of your personal hygiene (wash, brush your teeth, wear body spray etc.)

Ok, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest