The Student Room Group

Preparing for a 10k?

How much training or preparation would an average 22 year old female [ie me lol] have to do to run a 10k?

I've signed up to do one in about 4 weeks time, I go to the gym regularly and jogging occasionally, so fairly fit I think and normal weight.

However I don't tend to set targets or do anything competitively, so it's difficult to know what level I am at.

Can I do it? Will it be hard/easy?! someone help me out please lol
Original post by abc:)
How much training or preparation would an average 22 year old female [ie me lol] have to do to run a 10k?

I've signed up to do one in about 4 weeks time, I go to the gym regularly and jogging occasionally, so fairly fit I think and normal weight.

However I don't tend to set targets or do anything competitively, so it's difficult to know what level I am at.

Don't think it's all that much. I know some people who did longer with no training, but they're probably anomalies.
Why don't you hop a treadmill the next time you're in the gym, and have enough time, and try and do as much as you can. I wouldn't be surprised if you did atleast 5 k.
You can do it; anyone can drag themselves around :tongue:

It depends entirely on how you define "fairly" fit :tongue: It could be easy, or very hard

Tbh some training would be wise, running 3-4 times a week before your 10k.

Running kind of

Tuesday: 2 miles
W: 3 miles
S: 3.5 miles
S: 4 miles

And increasing each session by 1 mile a week, there or there abouts would be fine for getting you used to running for that while (I imagine around an hour for the 10k, maybe a bit more) :smile:

Obviously my routine isn't perfect, but given your limited time frame, it was the best I could come up with at the time of writing :tongue:

Depends how far you can run already! You'll be able to get round it will just be painful and maybe very slow if you don't really run much. I have a good general level of fitness due to playing hockey, when I didn't train for a 10K I did it in about 1hour5 mins and when I train its about 55 mins. I'd practise road running if i were you, its harder than on a treadmill so prepares you better
Reply 4
Original post by Physflop
Depends how far you can run already! You'll be able to get round it will just be painful and maybe very slow if you don't really run much. I have a good general level of fitness due to playing hockey, when I didn't train for a 10K I did it in about 1hour5 mins and when I train its about 55 mins. I'd practise road running if i were you, its harder than on a treadmill so prepares you better

Original post by Angry cucumber
You can do it; anyone can drag themselves around :tongue:

It depends entirely on how you define "fairly" fit :tongue: It could be easy, or very hard

Tbh some training would be wise, running 3-4 times a week before your 10k.

Running kind of

Tuesday: 2 miles
W: 3 miles
S: 3.5 miles
S: 4 miles

And increasing each session by 1 mile a week, there or there abouts would be fine for getting you used to running for that while (I imagine around an hour for the 10k, maybe a bit more) :smile:

Obviously my routine isn't perfect, but given your limited time frame, it was the best I could come up with at the time of writing :tongue:

Original post by devangdave
Don't think it's all that much. I know some people who did longer with no training, but they're probably anomalies.
Why don't you hop a treadmill the next time you're in the gym, and have enough time, and try and do as much as you can. I wouldn't be surprised if you did atleast 5 k.

Thanks for the advice guys! I am gonna both get on a treadmill to try and find out where I'm at, and run outdoors more :smile:
Thanks for the advice guys! I am gonna both get on a treadmill to try and find out where I'm at, and run outdoors more :smile:

hard to judge where you're at on a treadmill, give yourself a 5k route outside and see if you can get round, if you can increasing 3 miles in weeks will be fine, just do 4 miles next weekend and so on
Reply 6

How far to you run and how frequent.

Remember a 10K is around 6 miles (I think).

From the sounds of it, it sounds like you could complete a 10K, depends what time you were aiming for (if any).

I say set yourself goals each time you go out, strive to beat personal bests, it will keep you motivated to keep going.
Original post by zKlown
How far to you run and how frequent.

Remember a 10K is around 6 miles (I think).

From the sounds of it, it sounds like you could complete a 10K, depends what time you were aiming for (if any).

I say set yourself goals each time you go out, strive to beat personal bests, it will keep you motivated to keep going.

Yah 10k is about 6.2 miles :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Angry cucumber
Yah 10k is about 6.2 miles :smile:

Thought so, I've never actually ran one.

Maybe in time, don't enjoy running enough ATM

Quick Reply

Latest