The Student Room Group

A woman's reaction

Hello,

A few months ago I asked a checkout woman for her number. I had seen her several times over a few months and than rather ask for her number, I should have had some banter with her. Instead, I didn't do that and asked her straight out for number.

She mumbled something, which I couldn't understand and she then said she had a boyfriend. I said it was no problem and left it at that (she did have a boyfriend at the time). Anyway, as she was giving me my change, I was hoping for some eye contact. She kept her eyes down and refused to look at me.

I was told this meant that her eyes might have dilated and she didn't want me to see that. Or, was there another reason she didn't want to make eye contact with me?
(edited 9 years ago)
Maybe she just found it awkward.
Reply 2
Original post by Protégé
Maybe she just found it awkward.

Yeah, it's possible.
Reply 3
Original post by LeeMills77
I was told this meant that her eyes might have *diluted

*Dilated, by the way. :wink:

I agree with the other poster's answer; it is quite a difficult thing to move on from.
Reply 4
Original post by Davalla
*Dilated, by the way. :wink:

I agree with the other poster's answer; it is quite a difficult thing to move on from.

Thanks for the correction - can't believe I got it wrong.

And yes, perhaps I made the situation awkward. I did see her a few times after that and not once did I get a smile from her. Then about three months later she saw me with another woman and she look devastated. Never will I make sense of women!
Hello,

A few months ago I asked a checkout woman for her number. I had seen her several times over a few months and than rather ask for her number, I should have had some banter with her. Instead, I didn't do that and asked her straight out for number.

She mumbled something, which I couldn't understand and she then said she had a boyfriend. I said it was no problem and left it at that (she did have a boyfriend at the time). Anyway, as she was giving me my change, I was hoping for some eye contact. She kept her eyes down and refused to look at me.

I was told this meant that her eyes might have dilated and she didn't want me to see that. Or, was there another reason she didn't want to make eye contact with me?

What? Who told you that? I can't say I've ever given a **** if someone sees my eyes dilated.

She didn't look at you because the whole situation made her uncomfortable and she just wanted it to be over with.
Reply 6
Original post by SophieSmall
What? Who told you that? I can't say I've ever given a **** if someone sees my eyes dilated.

She didn't look at you because the whole situation made her uncomfortable and she just wanted it to be over with.

Yeah, you're most likely right, but I've had men tell me that women refuse to look at men because men can read their reaction (which is they want the man). This makes women vulnerable, which they don't like. Anyway, thanks for your input :smile:
Yeah, you're most likely right, but I've had men tell me that women refuse to look at men because men can read their reaction (which is they want the man). This makes women vulnerable, which they don't like. Anyway, thanks for your input :smile:

no man can read a woman's reactions, if they could they would never get anything wrong. Women are notoriously hard to read. It's just the way we are. Soz
Whatever reason you think it was, why does it matter? She doesn't have to look at you if she doesn't want to, and she has a boyfriend.
From your account it just sounds like she was uncomfortable.
Reply 9
Original post by Emily.97
Whatever reason you think it was, why does it matter? She doesn't have to look at you if she doesn't want to, and she has a boyfriend.
From your account it just sounds like she was uncomfortable.

Arguably she does, in order to provide good customer service. I'd get into trouble for staring at the floor whilst speaking to a customer at work!
Original post by Cll_ws
Arguably she does, in order to provide good customer service. I'd get into trouble for staring at the floor whilst speaking to a customer at work!

Yeah, good point. But yeah, it would be for that reason, nothing else. If it was any where else then she shouldn't feel obliged to give eye contact.
Reply 11
Original post by Emily.97
Yeah, good point. But yeah, it would be for that reason, nothing else. If it was any where else then she shouldn't feel obliged to give eye contact.

Yeah. Chances are she just felt awkward, as many people would being caught off guard like that in a situation they can't walk away from.

No. Its complete nonsense.
Reply 13
I think there are a couple of points here. You asked her for her personal number at work. She could not just get up and leave as she was working and had to carry on with the transaction. That would make anyone feel awkward. You say you hadn't really spoken to her at all prior to asking for her number, so from her perspective some random customer accosts her while at work. Why would anyone give out their number in that situation? Maybe next time just talk to the woman first...
Reply 14
Original post by SnooFnoo
no man can read a woman's reactions, if they could they would never get anything wrong. Women are notoriously hard to read. It's just the way we are. Soz

Yes, women are notoriously hard to read, and women think that men can read them. However, as you state, men can't read.
Reply 15
Original post by Sheeples
I think there are a couple of points here. You asked her for her personal number at work. She could not just get up and leave as she was working and had to carry on with the transaction. That would make anyone feel awkward. You say you hadn't really spoken to her at all prior to asking for her number, so from her perspective some random customer accosts her while at work. Why would anyone give out their number in that situation? Maybe next time just talk to the woman first...

Yeah, I messed up there. I only bought one item, so it wasn't like she was having to scan 100 items. I was off in no time. But yes, I should have chatted to her. We all live and learn.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending