The Student Room Group

Additional role/title - can I put this on my resume?

I'm in charge of a task where almost everyone consults me on the task's technicalities. My manager keeps on mentioning that I'm the lead of the task and I can decide what directions I can have for the task; no one is in charge of the tasks but me and my job title fits the task.

Now, I'm in the midst of updating my resume; can I put something like: "Lead <job title>" in my resume? My payslip doesn't have the "Lead" title, just the "<job title>" so I'm unsure if this is OK for future job applications.

Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Any feedbacks would be great!
Original post by kka25
Any feedbacks would be great!

It's always a tricky one. Have you considered a LinkedIn profile? I don't know if it's relevant for you career wise yet, but I know if you have one you can really get away with a bit more by putting what you contributed to.

Otherwise, I think it would be worth putting it on your job title only after speaking to your reference and asking if they'd be comfortable to reference you in that role. I've been asked in the past if I was happy to reference someone as a Community Organiser rather than an Office Admin, which might sound drastically different on paper but in reality their job was closer to Community than admin.

As long as you're not putting your job title up a notch, i.e. 'Head of XX' Rather than 'Assistant Head of XXX' I can't see too many problems with giving yourself a better CV.
Reply 3
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
It's always a tricky one. Have you considered a LinkedIn profile? I don't know if it's relevant for you career wise yet, but I know if you have one you can really get away with a bit more by putting what you contributed to.

Otherwise, I think it would be worth putting it on your job title only after speaking to your reference and asking if they'd be comfortable to reference you in that role. I've been asked in the past if I was happy to reference someone as a Community Organiser rather than an Office Admin, which might sound drastically different on paper but in reality their job was closer to Community than admin.

As long as you're not putting your job title up a notch, i.e. 'Head of XX' Rather than 'Assistant Head of XXX' I can't see too many problems with giving yourself a better CV.

I don't have a LinkedIn profile; how is it any different than other job-application sites?

I think my references wouldn't have a problem acknowledging my role; they themselves are aware that my workload is quite high for the task given. Sometimes one of them says that I actually have a 'manager's' position.

I'm just worried that my payslip doesn't match the title really; I'm worried it may be highlighted during the interview : /

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending