The Student Room Group
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website

How is Lincoln different to London?

Scroll to see replies

Oh, and Lincoln has a decent enough high street for shopping. The university is like right in the centre and there's a Tesco Express just down the street from it, if that's handy.
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by roadregu
Oh, and Lincoln has a decent enough high street for shopping. The university is like right in the centre and there's a Tesco Express just down the street from it, if that's handy.

Thanks, you're being a great help. So say if I wanted to visit other towns in Lincolnshire (e.g. Grimsby, Caistor (I think that's a town), Cleethorpes) could i just take buses there? I don't think I'd want to visit the wolds or the countryside
I'm pretty sure you can take a bus to other towns (I see Lincolnshire 'connect' buses around or somethin' like that) but the ones you mention would be quite a drive so it might be worthwhile (and possibly cheaper) to get a train. Most people that don't have a car typically use a train round here. Also, the train station is about a 2 min walk from the campus, and most of the uni accommodation I've seen is right beside the campus, so the walk wouldn't be much further from there.
I'm sorry but why the **** would you want to go to Grimsby

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by JRennison
I'm sorry but why the **** would you want to go to Grimsby

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's wrong with Grimsby? Do lincolners hate Grimsbians or something?
I'm not from Lincoln. But Grimsby is definitely a bit rough

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yah, Grimsby typically isn't on anyone's 'must visit' list. Not the nicest of places.
Original post by zezember
Thanks, you're being a great help. So say if I wanted to visit other towns in Lincolnshire (e.g. Grimsby, Caistor (I think that's a town), Cleethorpes) could i just take buses there? I don't think I'd want to visit the wolds or the countryside

Hi there,

If you wanted to visit other cities, I'd definitely recommend hopping on a train to Nottingham, Leicester or Sheffield (they have the massive shopping centre Meadowhall!), they're not at all far away from Lincoln. Newark is also really close and has a lovely castle and boutique shops.

You could also take a trip to the coast and go to Skegness or Sutton-on-Sea, that's always a fun day out!

Lincoln is still quite a large area and we have a good high street with shops like River Island, Primark, Topshop, Next, Jack Wills etc. and we have a great selection of restaurants including Wagamama, Prezzo, Nando's and an awesome American place called 'Ribs 'n' Bibs (ha ha)!

There are also quite a lot of activities you can do in the surrounding area too so I don't think you'll bore very easily :smile:

Hope this helps!

Georgia
I live close to Sheffield and it's really good one the best places in Yorkshire

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
I live close to Sheffield and it's really good one the best places in Yorkshire

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm scared of Yorkshire, it's far too Northern for me.
As for Grimsby... alright, except I didn't know it was rough, I thought it might be nice because it's right next to the sea.

Wouldn't mind going Nottinghamshire, always wanted to meet Robin Hood.
Yorkshires an experience, if you go to the right places you'll be surprised how much you like it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by UniLincolnRep
Hi there,

If you wanted to visit other cities, I'd definitely recommend hopping on a train to Nottingham, Leicester or Sheffield (they have the massive shopping centre Meadowhall!), they're not at all far away from Lincoln. Newark is also really close and has a lovely castle and boutique shops.

You could also take a trip to the coast and go to Skegness or Sutton-on-Sea, that's always a fun day out!

Lincoln is still quite a large area and we have a good high street with shops like River Island, Primark, Topshop, Next, Jack Wills etc. and we have a great selection of restaurants including Wagamama, Prezzo, Nando's and an awesome American place called 'Ribs 'n' Bibs (ha ha)!

There are also quite a lot of activities you can do in the surrounding area too so I don't think you'll bore very easily :smile:

Hope this helps!

Georgia

Thanks. I'm researching way too much on Lincoln city and it's surrounding areas. some people seem to say the county is dead boring though. And is it true that things are cheaper in the North?
Reply 32
Yorkshires an experience, if you go to the right places you'll be surprised how much you like it

Posted from TSR Mobile

But Yorkshire's massive, from North , East riding, South and west. The people from there seem very interesting though.
Reply 33
I'd much rather go to university in Yorkshire than in Lincolnshire aka the UKIP heartland of the UK. Lincolnshire looks so dull it's unreal.
Original post by zezember
Thanks. I'm researching way too much on Lincoln city and it's surrounding areas. some people seem to say the county is dead boring though. And is it true that things are cheaper in the North?

Hi there,

I used to live in Essex and I did notice a change in the cost of living when I moved to Lincoln. Things do generally tend to be a bit cheaper, especially when eating out!

I wouldn't say Lincolnshire is boring, it all really depends on where you go in the county (it is the second largest county in England!) obviously if you go out into the rural areas there's not going to be too much to do but there are some really great places to see!

You don't really need to worry about that too much though, most students seem to be content in their Lincoln bubble as it does seem to cover everything. We've got the historical and boutique side to the city with the castle, cathedral and the shops on Steep Hill and also we've got the modern/contemporary side with loads of awesome new bars, clubs and coffee shops!

Georgia :smile:
Original post by futbol
I'd much rather go to university in Yorkshire than in Lincolnshire aka the UKIP heartland of the UK. Lincolnshire looks so dull it's unreal.

Yorkshires all Labour 😎 and Sheffield is only an hour away. Lincoln looked like a nice place for a few pints and a quiet night out

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest