The Student Room Group

Family discourages me from seeing a GP and getting antidepressants......

So, I'm over 18 and I don't need their permission but they totally put me off going through with my plans. I've been depressed for years, but now it's gotten to the point where I spend 2/3 of my time in bed. I used to think that the extreme fatigue and so on may be due to medical reasons but my blood tests turned out ok. Anyway, my family thinks that I'm just lazy, and that THIS would stay on my medical records forever etc. So I just don't know if it's worth it anymore, I don't want this on my records, etc.

Scroll to see replies

First thing's first, don't diagnose yourself and go grab the meds you think you need. Go see a therapist, talk it through with them and let them tell you what's up and how it can be treated.

At that point, you can follow their advice as you're old enough to make the decision.
Go see a doctor.

It doesn't matter if it goes on your medical record, the only people that are allowed to look at your medical record are your doctor and you. Your family are not trained in mental health so they are not qualified to say you are just lazy, ignore them and see a trained professional.
Maybe try the following first, daily:-

x1 supplement of multi-amino acids

x2-3 capsules of 1000mg Omega 3

10 min of jogging

If this fails, go onto anti-depressants.
Reply 4
So what if it stays on your medical records? You're going to let it get worse because your parents said that you're just lazy?

Please do go to the GP, even if it is for advice. Don't let it destroy your life.
Reply 5
Original post by Skyy9432
First thing's first, don't diagnose yourself and go grab the meds you think you need. Go see a therapist, talk it through with them and let them tell you what's up and how it can be treated.

At that point, you can follow their advice as you're old enough to make the decision.

I know what you mean - I'm not trying to play a doctor here but it just seems obvious to me. I can tell the difference in how I felt before, and how I feel now, there is no way that I could feel this way just because of laziness, and the blood tests ruled out the medical reasons like anemia etc.

Original post by Gwilym101
Go see a doctor.

It doesn't matter if it goes on your medical record, the only people that are allowed to look at your medical record are your doctor and you. Your family are not trained in mental health so they are not qualified to say you are just lazy, ignore them and see a trained professional.

Are you sure that employers do not have access to those records?

Original post by unclebulgaria
Maybe try the following first, daily:-

x1 supplement of multi-amino acids

x2-3 capsules of 1000mg Omega 3

10 min of jogging

If this fails, go onto anti-depressants.

I used to be a very active person but stopped due to 'this', whatever it is. My only exercise is now walking my dog but even this seems too much sometimes. I have been taking most available supplements for months but it didn't help (apart from multiamino acids so might try them).

Original post by *Stefan*
So what if it stays on your medical records? You're going to let it get worse because your parents said that you're just lazy?

Please do go to the GP, even if it is for advice. Don't let it destroy your life.

I'm quite paranoid about it to be honest. So is my family. Like, if you're once diagnosed with mental health issue, it can impact your life FOREVER. Even in the future, when you have kids and divorce, you might lose your rights to them just because you suffered from mental health issues.
Personally, I always try to discourage people from taking antidepressants, because I believe that they don't actually work and instead people get addicted, while the core issue is never solved.

BUT if this problem has been going on for a long time, you might want to see a doctor. Before you do, it would be good to try some home remedies: take some vitamins and do exercise, like unclebulgaria suggests. Try to spend more time outside, with lots of fresh air. Perhaps travel somewhere different. Do something different - perhaps an exciting change in your life will raise your spirits. Do your best to fight the lethargy and/or bad moods. The only person who can combat your depression is you.

If the methods above do not work, you should definitely consult a doctor, and don't let your family tell you otherwise. Your medical records shouldn't be an issue unless your profession requires you to have a certain emotional condition. Good luck! I hope you get better soon!
Also, is there a chance you could consult a private doctor and keep those visits off the record?
Original post by Anonymous
I know what you mean - I'm not trying to play a doctor here but it just seems obvious to me. I can tell the difference in how I felt before, and how I feel now, there is no way that I could feel this way just because of laziness, and the blood tests ruled out the medical reasons like anemia etc.

I used to be a very active person but stopped due to 'this', whatever it is. My only exercise is now walking my dog but even this seems too much sometimes. I have been taking most available supplements for months but it didn't help (apart from multiamino acids so might try them).

I'm quite paranoid about it to be honest. So is my family. Like, if you're once diagnosed with mental health issue, it can impact your life FOREVER. Even in the future, when you have kids and divorce, you might lose your rights to them just because you suffered from mental health issues.

Yes, and multi-vitamins, especially Vitamin C. You have to take all these supplements daily and exercise daily, or it won't work.

And walking the dog is not rigorous enough exercise, needs to be something like jogging.
(edited 9 years ago)

No they don't and you're under no obligation to tell them.
Not every GP is quick to hand out anti depressants. Even then, they will offer other treatments alongside.
I think quite a few MPs and CEOs suffer from depression and take anti-depressants.
Original post by Samwin
On a side note though, you do not have to take antidepressants if you do not want to.

This is true. I refused and that was it. I wasn't asked why.
This is ridiculous and very mean of them. They are obviously ill-informed as depression (if you do indeed have it) is a very real medical condition caused by problems with the chemicals in your body. Go see a doctor and get the help you need and deserve. There is no way it will get in the way of you getting a job, apart from some very specific examples. Employees don't routinely check medical records, and depression is a very common issue which affects millions of people in this country, many of whom are able to keep fighting and lead perfectly normal lives with full time jobs and families. Don't leave it to get any worse, get help now.
As others have said see a doctor. No one can see your medical records apart from those treating you, if they did they would be breaking many laws. Also you dont have to declare your condition to employeers if you dont want to, so by going to the doctors you have nothing to lose per say
Talk to your doctor.
So, I'm over 18 and I don't need their permission but they totally put me off going through with my plans. I've been depressed for years, but now it's gotten to the point where I spend 2/3 of my time in bed. I used to think that the extreme fatigue and so on may be due to medical reasons but my blood tests turned out ok. Anyway, my family thinks that I'm just lazy, and that THIS would stay on my medical records forever etc. So I just don't know if it's worth it anymore, I don't want this on my records, etc.

They're not in a position to define whether you have depression or whether its something else, because they haven't got the professional knowledge to confirm that (correct me if I'm wrong).

Dont conform to it. Please seek help. Its worth speaking to somebody and analyse why it is that you feel this way.
Depression is a complex illness, it doesn't get fixed by just exercise, diet or anti-depressants. A large part of the solution is understanding that it is a psychological illness, so you have to make daily lists of what needs doing in your life, and note why it needs doing, and noting the consequences of not doing it. That usually moves you in the right direction of actually doing what you should be.

Don't worry about if it will stay on your records. It is nothing to be ashamed of- it can happen to anyone. The most important thing is to get the help you need.
Feeling like you're just lazy is something I had to deal with too and I had a lot of people trying to convince me of it. In a way it kinda is being lazy, but not by choice. I'd always feel like I just couldn't be bothered (that's what lazy is right?), but it was because I was exhausted. Not necessarily physically, but mentally I just had nothing left to give. It's hard to distinguish between just being lazy, sad etc and being depressed, but once you're out of the situation you will se how different it was.

Go see the doctor! It wont go on record if nothing comes of it and you can always ask for it to be off record. In my experience all the people who say it's just this or that change their tune once you have a doctor to back you up.

Be brave and go for it. The only way things will get better is if you take a step to make it happen. You can't do it all alone- that's nonsense to believe, but this step has to be yours. After that you aren't alone.

There's a depression topic in MH that you can post in anonymously. Try taking a peek over there if you want some support. :smile:

It can and will get better, just keep believing and stay brave. Good luck.
Reply 19

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time at the moment OP.
I know what you're feeling like.

I must say that I agree with the comments about not diagnosing yourself.
I know it sounds silly to be told that you shouldn't diagnose yourself with depression because you must be thinking "isn't it easy to tell whether I have depression or not, because I feel sad?".
There are conditions that can create such feelings for example thyroid problems (which actually relate to problems with sleep too, which you said you're having problems with).
In short, do go and see your GP. But when you do, don't just say "I'm feeling sad can I have antidepressants". Tell him/her when and how this all started, what symptoms you've been experiencing - sleep problems, as well as anything else. There may be symptoms you haven't really thought about such as problem with exercise, eating, sex drive, etc.
It might help to do a little research on some of the other conditions that can cause feelings of depression so you know what symptoms to look out for.

Ultimately though, whatever the issue is - an underlying problem or simply depression itself - you need to get it sorted out.
Who cares about it staying on your record?
Your medical record isn't like a school report which some bureaucrat is going to get up on their computer to see if you've been bad or good in a years time.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest