The Student Room Group

Getting kicked out in 2 weeks!! Urgent help needed :/

Hey guys, sorry if this is the wrong place to put this up but I am lost as to what to do!

My Single parent mum told me I have 2 weeks to move out. I am in the final couple of months of doing a BTEC Level 3 full time course (second year) before I get to go to university starting in September (If I hit my target grade).

I am also 20 years old.

I have about £60 in my bank, no job and a daunting amount of coursework to do. What should I start doing now to prepare myself for when I have to move out?

Any help is HIGHLY appreciated!!

best wishes
-Sin
Original post by SinTorri
Hey guys, sorry if this is the wrong place to put this up but I am lost as to what to do!

My Single parent mum told me I have 2 weeks to move out. I am in the final couple of months of doing a BTEC Level 3 full time course (second year) before I get to go to university starting in September (If I hit my target grade).

I am also 20 years old.

I have about £60 in my bank, no job and a daunting amount of coursework to do. What should I start doing now to prepare myself for when I have to move out?

Any help is HIGHLY appreciated!!

best wishes
-Sin

Where are you going to go? Also why is she kicking you out? This sounds very cruel of her.
Reply 2
Original post by Kayleighw27
Where are you going to go? Also why is she kicking you out? This sounds very cruel of her.

I have no idea where.

She is going to lose her job in 9 months and needs to dramatically save up to pay for her mortgage. She can't financially support me anymore as she is in debt. I think she wants to move into a single bedroom apartment and rent out the house.
I have no idea where.

She is going to lose her job in 9 months and needs to dramatically save up to pay for her mortgage. She can't financially support me anymore as she is in debt. I think she wants to move into a single bedroom apartment and rent out the house.

I really think that is unreasonable of her, as if you choose to have children, you should be prepared to support them as well. However, if she really is serious about this, it would be best if you can get a job as soon as you can. Any job really, look for adverts in shops etc, or possibly at a fast food restaurant? Would you be able to negotiate something with her where you stay but contribute to the bills? Also are there any family you can stay with or who can help you out?
Reply 4
I really think that is unreasonable of her, as if you choose to have children, you should be prepared to support them as well. However, if she really is serious about this, it would be best if you can get a job as soon as you can. Any job really, look for adverts in shops etc, or possibly at a fast food restaurant? Would you be able to negotiate something with her where you stay but contribute to the bills? Also are there any family you can stay with or who can help you out?

There is no way I can work, to cope with the workload from college in this intense period at the end of the year. I've also got no family here in the uk. Is there no support for students like me?

Also I agree, in such a critical time of my life this is pretty cruel. She's being inconsiderate but she's been threatening me about it for months, she's just now serious about it.
Reply 5
There is no way I can work, to cope with the workload from college in this intense period at the end of the year. I've also got no family here in the uk. Is there no support for students like me?

Also I agree, in such a critical time of my life this is pretty cruel. She's being inconsiderate but she's been threatening me about it for months, she's just now serious about it.

Do you not have any family who might be able to support you financially and, in turn, then either use that money to support your mother to find a place to live for yourself?

Hope everything works out

I'm sorry you have to go through with this, it must be awful. Where are you from originally/which country are your family in? I know you need to focus on your studies (which is why it's so awful of her) but obviously survival needs to come first. When you get to university it won't matter as you can move out and get a student loan it's just getting through college that's tricky. Would you even be able to stay with a friend? There's not that long left of their year, maybe someone would let you live there in exchange for helping around the house etc. It's far from ideal but if you at least could work weekends you have something to support yourself with. Speak to the people at college about this, I'm sure someone will be able to help!
Reply 7
I'm sorry you have to go through with this, it must be awful. Where are you from originally/which country are your family in? I know you need to focus on your studies (which is why it's so awful of her) but obviously survival needs to come first. When you get to university it won't matter as you can move out and get a student loan it's just getting through college that's tricky. Would you even be able to stay with a friend? There's not that long left of their year, maybe someone would let you live there in exchange for helping around the house etc. It's far from ideal but if you at least could work weekends you have something to support yourself with. Speak to the people at college about this, I'm sure someone will be able to help!

Thanks for your help. Originally I am from Turkey, most of them are there. I no longer speak to my father, and haven't really been in touch with my family in years.

I probably can't stay with friends, maybe for a little while but I really don't want to ask them for this. I am wondering if there is help I could get from the government. A girl I knew got kicked out as well and got housing whist she pursued her studies. I don't know the process she did though.
Thanks for your help. Originally I am from Turkey, most of them are there. I no longer speak to my father, and haven't really been in touch with my family in years.

I probably can't stay with friends, maybe for a little while but I really don't want to ask them for this. I am wondering if there is help I could get from the government. A girl I knew got kicked out as well and got housing whist she pursued her studies. I don't know the process she did though.

That's okay, I'm sorry you're in such a tricky situation. You might be eligible for benefits, but I've never claimed any so I'm not sure what the process is. But I'm pretty sure you won't just be thrown out on the streets. I'd say the people at your college would be in the best position to help you. If there is a pastoral care person or head of year or someone like that that would be the first person to go to, if not then any of your teachers or tutors will be able to help. It's Easter holidays at the moment for me, so if you're not going to be going to college for a couple of weeks, try sending a few emails and hopefully you'll get a response soon. It's quite possible there are charities in your area who can help so try a Google search for this. You may well be able to stay at the YMCA for a while until you're back on your feet so definitely look into this. Good luck, I'm sure everything will work out for you in the end. Don't give up on getting to uni! :smile:
Go to your local Citizen's Advice Bureau as soon as possible to find out local information on where you can get immediate housing. In your case scenario, you are getting kicked out thus you are a high priority to get housed ASAP. Do this as soon as possible because it can take a month for them to arrange it all. The government will help you with the cost of housing and other things until you go to university. Good luck! Sorry to hear about your situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending