The Student Room Group

southampton vs manchester EEE

Hi guys,
so I know there has been threads on this before however I need more information/opinions.
So I have offers from: Bristol, UCL, Manchester and Southampton for Electrical and Electronic Engineering and was having a hard time deciding between Southampton and Manchester.
1) I know that Manchester has a stronger reputation worldwide wheras Southampton has a stronger reputation in the UK and so was wondering which affects me more as I am planning to work in the UK as a graduate maybe but then probably move to somewhere like Australia and so if I chose Southampton, do you think foreign companies in places like Australia or Germany would have a good impression of Southampton for engineers or would they definetly prefer a Manchester graduate?
Which uni will lead to better career prospects considering I might work abroad?
2) I prefer Southampton's campus wheras I also prefer Manchester as a city, which do you think affects me more as a student?
any further info on the two or any of the unis I mentioned would be well appreciated,
Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by 20mapa20
Hi guys,
so I know there has been threads on this before however I need more information/opinions.
So I have offers from: Bristol, UCL, Manchester and Southampton for Electrical and Electronic Engineering and was having a hard time deciding between Southampton and Manchester.
1) I know that Manchester has a stronger reputation worldwide wheras Southampton has a stronger reputation in the UK and so was wondering which affects me more as I am planning to work in the UK as a graduate maybe but then probably move to somewhere like Australia and so if I chose Southampton, do you think foreign companies in places like Australia or Germany would have a good impression of Southampton for engineers or would they definetly prefer a Manchester graduate?
Which uni will lead to better career prospects considering I might work abroad?
2) I prefer Southampton's campus wheras I also prefer Manchester as a city, which do you think affects me more as a student?
any further info on the two or any of the unis I mentioned would be well appreciated,
Thanks!

Look 98% of employers are not going to waste their time pulling out a dumb league table and say X university is better than X university therefore we aren't going to take him.

It doesn't matter whether you eventually go abroad what's going to matter the most is your degree, your grade and your skills for your job. People should really get out of this league table/reputation b.s.

Both are decent universities, look at the modules see which ones you like better perhaps one university has an optional module in an area you like compared to the other....
Look at the towns not just the unis. Southampton is a craphole. Would you want to live there for several years?
Manchester might give you a slight edge abroad as it's more well known than Southampton but like a10 said, most employers aren't going to care all that much. In the UK, it will make next to no difference which you go to from a job perspective, they're both pretty much in the top 5 for EEE. Focus more on the courses themselves, the universities and their facilities, and the cities.

I'm currently studying EEE at Manchester so if you have any specific questions about it, feel free to ask.
Reply 4
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
Manchester might give you a slight edge abroad as it's more well known than Southampton but like a10 said, most employers aren't going to care all that much. In the UK, it will make next to no difference which you go to from a job perspective, they're both pretty much in the top 5 for EEE. Focus more on the courses themselves, the universities and their facilities, and the cities.

I'm currently studying EEE at Manchester so if you have any specific questions about it, feel free to ask.

Yea so I haven't visited Manchester or the uni and so I haven't really gave them a chance to sell it out, so do you like the campus? how are the sports facilities ? and the engineering building and facilities? do you get many chances to link up with engineering firms?
also is the city modern? as in the infrastructure/buildings ?
(edited 9 years ago)
Yea so I haven't visited Manchester or the uni and so I haven't really gave them a chance to sell it out, so do you like the campus? how are the sports facilities ? and the engineering building and facilities? do you get many chances to link up with engineering firms?
also is the city modern? as in the infrastructure/buildings ?

I do like the campus, yeah. It's a good mix of having most things together in the same place but still being part of that actual city. Admittedly, the engineering campus can feel slightly isolated and neglected compared to the main one. It's still nice though, particularly the Sackville Street Building. The university is also planning to move all the engineering schools down to the main campus by 2020, which means fancy new buildings.

I don't really use them but the sports facilities seem to be quite good. There are three sports centres, two on the main campus and one next to the Fallowfield accommodation.

The engineering facilities are good, although it's hard to compare it to other universities as I haven't seen them. The labs where you do most of your practical sessions are sponsored by National Instruments and there are some more fancy labs like the Dalton Nuclear Institute research laboratory and the molecular beam epitaxy lab. We also have the largest high voltage lab in the UK, which is sponsored by the National Grid.

Manchester has really good links with industry so yes, there's plenty of chances to link up with engineering firms. The EEE department has a lot of involvement with National Instruments and the National Grid, as I mentioned, plus there are a lot of careers fairs featuring companies from a wide range of fields.

The city is quite modern, yes, but it has a nice mixture of old buildings as well. It's a really great place to live, there are always things going on and stuff to do but at the same time, it's compact enough to make travelling around fairly easy. It's also got good transport links to other cities like Liverpool, Birmingham and London.
Reply 6
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
I do like the campus, yeah. It's a good mix of having most things together in the same place but still being part of that actual city. Admittedly, the engineering campus can feel slightly isolated and neglected compared to the main one. It's still nice though, particularly the Sackville Street Building. The university is also planning to move all the engineering schools down to the main campus by 2020, which means fancy new buildings.

I don't really use them but the sports facilities seem to be quite good. There are three sports centres, two on the main campus and one next to the Fallowfield accommodation.

The engineering facilities are good, although it's hard to compare it to other universities as I haven't seen them. The labs where you do most of your practical sessions are sponsored by National Instruments and there are some more fancy labs like the Dalton Nuclear Institute research laboratory and the molecular beam epitaxy lab. We also have the largest high voltage lab in the UK, which is sponsored by the National Grid.

Manchester has really good links with industry so yes, there's plenty of chances to link up with engineering firms. The EEE department has a lot of involvement with National Instruments and the National Grid, as I mentioned, plus there are a lot of careers fairs featuring companies from a wide range of fields.

The city is quite modern, yes, but it has a nice mixture of old buildings as well. It's a really great place to live, there are always things going on and stuff to do but at the same time, it's compact enough to make travelling around fairly easy. It's also got good transport links to other cities like Liverpool, Birmingham and London.

wow, thanks aloooot for that reply :smile:
Reply 7
ok so can someone tell me some reasons to go Southampton instead?
Reply 8
ok so can someone tell me some reasons to go Southampton instead?

Go on the TSR electrical and electronic engineering page and scroll through some of the pages. There is a guy who goes to Southampton who posted a review about the university which you may like to read :smile:
I'm also in your situation, I can't decide between them either! I like Manchester's city over Southampton's campus but I prefer Southampton's department, decisions! :confused:
Hey I'm a first year at Southampton studying EE, I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have.

I'll try to keep this brief because I've done quite a few long posts about So'ton's ECS department and it's getting a little exhausting haha.

Department gets lots of money, as it's probably both the best and most renowned department at Southampton. Teaching is both good and bad, but that's to be expected I suppose. Course is really interesting, labs are very tough to prepare for and carry out to a high standard but they really help our learning process! Work is literally non stop; all labs (roughly twice a week) are weighted for one module or another, we have coursework assignments more or less once a week, and a few class tests here and there. We had two design projects in January which were killers, but just get smashed on the night it's finished and you'll pick yourself up again haha.

The city has great nightlife, but Manchester's is probably better, since it's rumoured to be the best in the country! Having said that, Southampton's IS really good, you'll have a great time partying wherever you go. The campus is great and the bus service is really useful albeit slightly unreliable at times (free bus pass for freshers though!).

The difference in offer is probably something to consider. Last year my Manchester offer was AAA and my Southampton offer was A*AA so that was a reason why I chose Southampton since there's no point having an A*AA insurance, may as well aim high if you get the offer!

Hope this helps.
Reply 11
Thanks for the replies!
Ok so Im having trouble now deciding between UCL and Southampton,
I was wondering if the difference between there reputation in the UK amongst employers is significant enough to be a deciding factor, and what peoples thoughts are about UCL for EEE?

Quick Reply

Latest