The Student Room Group

AQA Business Studies 2015 Buss 1/2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Big Tip:

For 2 markers (Definitions, link to case study to get max marks)
4/5 markers (Do 1 point but if you can try to do 2)
6 markers (2 points atleast)
8 markers (3 points atleast)
10 markers (for explain do 4 points if possible)
12-15 markers ( 2 for, 1 against or vice versa atleast try to do 2 to give balanced argument and conclusion)
18 markers ( If calculation do 2 points for and against with conclusion, if not then do 2 for, 2 against and conclusion)
Reply 81
Original post by geeee11
What is the actual formula for market size?

Sales of market x quantity produced in market
Original post by idontknow217
does anyone have any idea on the areas we should focus on for buss1?

Probably not BEQ, it came up last year, I swear it will be more staff to write than calculate. Can someone please explain Ltd, unincorporated ,incorporated business, I really have no idea what's that, I have feeling that it will come up
Original post by elizaveta
Probably not BEQ, it came up last year, I swear it will be more staff to write than calculate. Can someone please explain Ltd, unincorporated ,incorporated business, I really have no idea what's that, I have feeling that it will come up

INCORPORATED means that in the eyes of the law the business's assets and the owners personal assets are seen as seperate. Therefore, if a business is in debt (can't pay bank loan etc.) the bank CANNOT seize any personal possessions in order to recoup costs.. Incorporated business have limited liability.

UNINCORPORATED means that in the eyes of the law the business's assets the owner's personal assets are seen as the same thing. Therefore, if a business is in debt (can't pay bank loan etc.) the bank has the power to seize personal assets in order to recoup the costs. Unincorporated business' have unlimited liability.

LTD. is a private limited company. They have limited liability, they can sell shares to friends and family only and are incorporated.
Does anyone know how to structure the evaluation questions?
Do you have to provide a balanced argument in evaluation and then conclude, or can you, for example, make 2 points on one side of the argument and then conclude? :confused:
Original post by An Ignorant Duck
Does anyone know how to structure the evaluation questions?
Do you have to provide a balanced argument in evaluation and then conclude, or can you, for example, make 2 points on one side of the argument and then conclude? :confused:

Two well developed points (Content, Application, Analysis and Evaluation) then a conclusion.

The conclusion should show your decision (do you agree etc.), your reasoning for this decision and what the decision depends on (e.g long term/short term goals of the business).
Original post by swinglow2003
Two well developed points (Content, Application, Analysis and Evaluation) then a conclusion.

The conclusion should show your decision (do you agree etc.), your reasoning for this decision and what the decision depends on (e.g long term/short term goals of the business).

what would be the structure of a paragraph for a 6 and 10 marker?
Original post by Jamie1397
what would be the structure of a paragraph for a 6 and 10 marker?

Just make sure every paragraph you write has content, application, analysis and evaluation.

So do you recommend doing one point for each side of the argument or two points for one side of the argument? Or does it not really matter?
Original post by An Ignorant Duck
So do you recommend doing one point for each side of the argument or two points for one side of the argument? Or does it not really matter?

I'm pretty sure you have to show both sides of the argument.
Just make sure every paragraph you write has content, application, analysis and evaluation.

Thanks, do you have an example of a perfect paragraph?
Original post by S345k
Random is a large sample where everyone has an equal chance of being selected
Stratified is slightly smaller breaking them down into a sub-group (A representation of the population) and everyone in that group has an equal chance of being selected
Quota is where the population is divided groups the person will ask a certain amount of people in each group e.g 10 in 16-20 14 in 31-40 etc

Thank you for your reply, you really helped me😃

Although I'm still struggling on how to differentiate between the quota and stratified samples.👎🏻👎🏻 They sound the same to me??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
Original post by rachm643
Thank you for your reply, you really helped me😃

Although I'm still struggling on how to differentiate between the quota and stratified samples.👎🏻👎🏻 They sound the same to me??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought that too... I really hope a question on sampling doesn't come up because I've lost my patience to learn the difference between the two haha
Original post by geeee11
I thought that too... I really hope a question on sampling doesn't come up because I've lost my patience to learn the difference between the two haha

In quota sampling, once you have your subgroups, you collect data from a set number of individuals from each subgroup. For example, if you needed 200 males and 300 females to respond to a survey, you would just continue to administer the survey until you reached your quota for each subgroup.
This can possibly introduce bias because the observations within each subgroup is not chosen randomly.

In stratified sampling, once you have your subgroups, you use random sampling within the subgroups to decide from whom data will be collected. So, if you were going to call people over the phone and do a survey, you might break them up into 3 age groups, and then use a computer program to randomly choose who will be called within each of the 3 subgroups. There is less bias introduced, since the participants are chosen randomly.
Can anyone list the points on factors that affect location, and also how i can expand on those point. I don't understand how to expand my answer on the factors that affect location. Thanks
Reply 95
Original post by ahmed7991
Can anyone list the points on factors that affect location, and also how i can expand on those point. I don't understand how to expand my answer on the factors that affect location. Thanks

Rent prices, this will be a factor as high rent prices would increase fixed costs which would decrease the chances of making a high profit for a business, unless the firms sales revenue is high enough.

Suppliers, business need to consider if suppliers can reach them. For example some suppliers may be located in a different country and therefore business will need to consider this as if the range is too far, this would mean the flexibility of the supplier would be poor, which may lead to low stock levels during peak times for the business

Transport costs/Parking, this would also affect the location of a business as employees and the entrepreneur themselves would need easy access to the factory/firm in order to run it. Transport costs should not be expensive as this would contribute to personal expenses. Parking could also be a factor as the entrepreneur or other employees would need to have access to cheap or free parking, as this can be an issue of employees are not willing to pay the fees

Labor costs is also a factor, depending on the location of the firm, if its located somehwhere in the city centre employees would expect a higher wage than in a country side. This would affect expendutre costs as it increases it which contributes to the total costs affecting the firms profit margin

Hope this helps!
Original post by imran_
Rent prices, this will be a factor as high rent prices would increase fixed costs which would decrease the chances of making a high profit for a business, unless the firms sales revenue is high enough.

Suppliers, business need to consider if suppliers can reach them. For example some suppliers may be located in a different country and therefore business will need to consider this as if the range is too far, this would mean the flexibility of the supplier would be poor, which may lead to low stock levels during peak times for the business

Transport costs/Parking, this would also affect the location of a business as employees and the entrepreneur themselves would need easy access to the factory/firm in order to run it. Transport costs should not be expensive as this would contribute to personal expenses. Parking could also be a factor as the entrepreneur or other employees would need to have access to cheap or free parking, as this can be an issue of employees are not willing to pay the fees

Labor costs is also a factor, depending on the location of the firm, if its located somehwhere in the city centre employees would expect a higher wage than in a country side. This would affect expendutre costs as it increases it which contributes to the total costs affecting the firms profit margin

Hope this helps!

Wow! Thanks! It certaintly has helped
Reply 97
hi i would look to know if it would be better to start the paper from the back in order to get the harder questions out of the way
Original post by davidm96
hi i would look to know if it would be better to start the paper from the back in order to get the harder questions out of the way

In relation to the BUSS1 paper, it is split into section A and section B, and section B is usually quite analytical compared to section A.

obviously section B has the longer questions so if you wanted to start there its up to you, however it might be easier to go through the sequence of questions from A to B as you could build up a better argument for the longer questions. bearing in mind you should use calculations to back up your answers.
Reply 99
Original post by Roisin Giles
Hi! I don't know if anyone has already answered this but my Business teacher has given us a template that could be applied to any answer!
1 - say the line of the question and make your point
2 - because
3 - and so
4 - this means that
5 - in the long run
6 - this will lead to........

and then for the evaluation use: - this point is significant for the business because

hope this helps? :smile:

Brilliant. Unit 1 is damn easy really easy. I'm resitting (the irony in the last sentence), although it's too easy. Don't overcomplicate your answers like unit 3/4 and keep them simple concise and move on once you're done. Thanks for the template. One thing I can say is always use common sense for unit 1 as it's everything...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending