The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Choosing additional modules

Hello everyone,

I am just curious about how it works..

As I got in for certain subject, therefore I will be taking modules from the subject, but I also have to? take another two subjects in first, possibly second year?

Can I choose whatever I want? Or are there any restrictions? (like I got into Arts faculty, therefore I can not take science subject?) and how it is with oversubscribed courses? (like IR, Economics - still possible to taking them?)

Thank you)
Reply 1
Original post by taeht
Hello everyone,

I am just curious about how it works..

As I got in for certain subject, therefore I will be taking modules from the subject, but I also have to? take another two subjects in first, possibly second year?

Can I choose whatever I want? Or are there any restrictions? (like I got into Arts faculty, therefore I can not take science subject?) and how it is with oversubscribed courses? (like IR, Economics - still possible to taking them?)

Thank you)

Not necessarily, it depends on other modules your department offers and how many of those modules in second and third year are compulsory. As long as you fill the credit it doesn't really matter what module it is whether its another department or the same.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by Oxy
Not necessarily, it depends on other modules your department offers and how many of those modules in second and third year are compulsory. As long as you fill the credit it doesn't really matter what module it is whether its another department or the same.

Thank you, but can you take whatever else you want? Even the oversubscribed courses? Or do they offer you other modules from ''what's left'?
For some oversubscribed modules like International Relations, you'll be put on a waiting list and they'll draw names from a ballot. There aren't many courses like that though. I think some subjects (sciences?) require a certain grade at a lower level of education. If they do, it'll say so on their section in the catalogue.

https://portal.st-andrews.ac.uk/catalogue/advanced.htm

Apart from that, yes, you can take whatever you want as long as it doesn't clash on your timetable. For example, my main degree is psychology but my other 2 modules are in history. You can change your choice in the first 2 weeks as well.
Reply 4
Original post by onefortheroad
For some oversubscribed modules like International Relations, you'll be put on a waiting list and they'll draw names from a ballot. There aren't many courses like that though. I think some subjects (sciences?) require a certain grade at a lower level of education. If they do, it'll say so on their section in the catalogue.

https://portal.st-andrews.ac.uk/catalogue/advanced.htm

Apart from that, yes, you can take whatever you want as long as it doesn't clash on your timetable. For example, my main degree is psychology but my other 2 modules are in history. You can change your choice in the first 2 weeks as well.

Thank you for the reply!

Anyway, are you satisfied with you psychology course? (in which year are you?)

Do you have an idea how oversubscribed courses like IR or Comp Science are on it? For example, 500 people want to study that in first or second year and they allow 200? Just to get a notion)
No problem :smile:

I'm in first year and the psychology course is great. The lecturers are amazing (especially Paula) and I've made some good friends in that class.

I have no idea the ratio of people that get accepted into IR, sorry. But I can tell you about my experience with that.

I originally chose IR as one of my modules and was told there were limited spaces and I'd be put on the waiting list. I was told to choose a back-up option, which I did (ME1003, medieval history). I was told by my advisor that there was pretty much no chance of getting in. So I decided to go to the lectures for my back-up option while I was waiting to hear back. About a week later, I was emailed and told I had been accepted into IR. It was at that point that I realised I'd prefer to do my back-up. So I emailed my advisor telling her I changed my mind and within a few days it was official.
Reply 6
No problem :smile:

I'm in first year and the psychology course is great. The lecturers are amazing (especially Paula) and I've made some good friends in that class.

I have no idea the ratio of people that get accepted into IR, sorry. But I can tell you about my experience with that.

I originally chose IR as one of my modules and was told there were limited spaces and I'd be put on the waiting list. I was told to choose a back-up option, which I did (ME1003, medieval history). I was told by my advisor that there was pretty much no chance of getting in. So I decided to go to the lectures for my back-up option while I was waiting to hear back. About a week later, I was emailed and told I had been accepted into IR. It was at that point that I realised I'd prefer to do my back-up. So I emailed my advisor telling her I changed my mind and within a few days it was official.

Haha, thats funny experience.

May I ask, do you have any additional reading list for PS1001 and PS1002 because in the in the module they require just 4-6 books if I am not mistaken and that is not much I think?
No, we don't unless it's research for lab reports etc.

I only have 3 of the recommended books and I'm doing fine so far! One of the books that I have, Research Methods and Data Analysis for Psychology, I don't really use. Paula (the lecturer for the lab classes) will give us the relevant pages as extra reading if we didn't fully understand what we were taught that session. I generally find that I don't need that though because she's very good at explaining things.

If I'm perfectly honest, I don't use the other two books either. Social Psychology: Revisiting the Classics was interesting but not necessary. I haven't even picked up the one written by Gomez since I first bought it.
Reply 8
No, we don't unless it's research for lab reports etc.

I only have 3 of the recommended books and I'm doing fine so far! One of the books that I have, Research Methods and Data Analysis for Psychology, I don't really use. Paula (the lecturer for the lab classes) will give us the relevant pages as extra reading if we didn't fully understand what we were taught that session. I generally find that I don't need that though because she's very good at explaining things.

If I'm perfectly honest, I don't use the other two books either. Social Psychology: Revisiting the Classics was interesting but not necessary. I haven't even picked up the one written by Gomez since I first bought it.

Hmm, that is interesting!
What have you read then? Are you getting all the important information from lectures? How about your grades? (if thats not secret haha)
I've only read Social Psychology: Revisiting the Classics and a couple of chapters from Research Methods and Data Analysis for Psychology tbh.

Literally all the information you need for the exams are in the lecture. The exams are multiple choice as well. I got a low B for last semester. Not going to lie, I wasn't hardcore studying.
Reply 10
Original post by taeht
Thank you, but can you take whatever else you want? Even the oversubscribed courses? Or do they offer you other modules from ''what's left'?

The only restrictions are that the module is in the same faculty (Science or Arts) and that you meet the pre-requisites. Everything is in the course catalogue if you search for it on the University website.
Reply 11
Original post by taeht

Do you have an idea how oversubscribed courses like IR or Comp Science are on it? For example, 500 people want to study that in first or second year and they allow 200? Just to get a notion)

I was talking to an IR lecturer earlier this week; he says that although people have been put on a waiting list, everyone for the past few years who was on that list was eventually offered a place on the IR course before the deadline for switching. It does vary year on year though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending