The Student Room Group

Is a 20-30K salary a good salary if you're working in London?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by donutaud15
Can't base that in personal circumstances but it's based on my husband's friends

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just doesn't make much sense...

If you're a couple then council tax, bills and rent go down 30% per person.
Original post by Quady
Just doesn't make much sense...

If you're a couple then council tax, bills and rent go down 30% per person.

Not if only one of us is working.

And besides single people can live in shared accommodation so cheaper rent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by donutaud15
Not if only one of us is working.

And besides single people can live in shared accommodation so cheaper rent

Posted from TSR Mobile

So it is on the assumption one isn't working.

Sure, so can couples but only take up one room.
Original post by Quady
So it is on the assumption one isn't working.

Sure, so can couples but only take up one room.

It's on an assumption that it's a family with one not working.

Not seen many couples outside of uni wanting to live in a shared accommodation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you've got a partner you're splitting the bills and rent with, you can live off £21,983 a year in London. I know because I'm currently doing it. By yourself, you'll find it a struggle. The rent on my one bedroom flat in North London is £1150 a month, without bills. That salary would cover that rent and a bill or tw, but then I'd be broke.
Reply 25
Original post by kingoftheting
If you've got a partner you're splitting the bills and rent with, you can live off £21,983 a year in London. I know because I'm currently doing it. By yourself, you'll find it a struggle. The rent on my one bedroom flat in North London is £1150 a month, without bills. That salary would cover that rent and a bill or tw, but then I'd be broke.

Yep, mine's almost the same :pinch:
Honestly, 20k sounds like a slap in the face. Between food, travel, and occasionally spending to actually have a life, what are you left with for rent?
20k - a bit of a struggle

30k - a few luxuries here and there. Depends if you can maintain the same standard of living as 20k... You should easily save around £500 a month if you plan and budget well, allowing for entertainment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by Pipsico
20k - a bit of a struggle

30k - a few luxuries here and there. Depends if you can maintain the same standard of living as 20k... You should easily save around £500 a month if you plan and budget well, allowing for entertainment.

Sounds not so great really :frown:
Original post by kka25
How cheap?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-34178196.html

£500-700 pcm for 1 bed flat or £1000 pcm for two bed flat which works out to around £500.
Reply 30
Original post by ridwan12

£500-700 pcm for 1 bed flat or £1000 pcm for two bed flat which works out to around £500.

For me, anything above £500 is expansive : /
Original post by ridwan12

That's excluding bills.
Council tax, electricity, gas and water would come to an extra £150-£300 a month

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J-SP
The lower end of that estimate maybe, but anyone whose utility bills are £300 a month needs to question how much water/heating/electricity they are using!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's mine unfortunately! My council tax is £157 a month, and gas/electric and water brings it to £286. There's only 2 of us, but our windows are really drafty so more electricity use!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J-SP
The lower end of that estimate maybe, but anyone whose utility bills are £300 a month needs to question how much water/heating/electricity they are using!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Our utility bills comes to £300 easily and that's us being careful with heating etc. Only 2 of us in a flat as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J-SP

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where do you live? My council tax is £245 😆
no-far too low
Original post by J-SP
Mines £70 a month - that's with a 25% discount. West London.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I guess if you're a student then £300 will cover utilities, but it's not enough for most households :P
Original post by J-SP
I am not a student - I am employed. Considering I am a single income as well, my bills are usually £120 a month, definitely no more than £150 a month at the very worse. To me it is crazy someone is paying £300 a month for theirs.

Sorry, when you said 25% discount I thought that was for students. Well I guess it really depends on lifestyle and the type of house you live in. No one has much control over council tax charges. Also my house is quite big and old so it costs a lot to heat. I don't mind paying to have the heating on constant in the winter if it means I'm warm. If I lived in a modern flat with double glazing and underfloor heating and so on, maybe £300 a month would be enough. Still, your lifestyle sounds way more eco-friendly, £150 wouldn't even cover my electricity bill xD But I really like where I live so it's just down to preference :smile:
No.
Students don't pay council tax remember.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending