The Student Room Group

IGCSE CIE English Language - Extended reading passages

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vyasbandicoots
My teacher gave me a C in the mock when I got the same mark as you :frown:
Our course works haven't been fully marked yet though.

Do you happen to know what paper you did for your mock?
Original post by RG110man
Do you happen to know what paper you did for your mock?

We took the October November 2014 ext pper
The one with the article about the volcano crater? Was the paper supplied by pixl?
The one with the article about the volcano crater? Was the paper supplied by pixl?

No mate, mine was about this teacher who joins some school. Wait hang on, are u doing 0500 or 0522???
Original post by Vyasbandicoots
No mate, mine was about this teacher who joins some school. Wait hang on, are u doing 0500 or 0522???

Oh im sorry, mine is 0500, whoops.
Original post by Turtlebunny
Sounds good really.

I got 48/50 in my writing coursework.
I've finished my speaking, unlike others at my school who still have the exam, however I don't have my mark back yet. Although I'm hoping out of 30 it is somewhere in the region of 25-27 - we'll see.
In my Dec mock I got 37/50 and my most recent mock 32/50. My Dec grade was an A*, my more recent one was an A.

So factoring all of this in, hopefully I should get an A*. I never intended to get an A* in literature or language, so it would be a pleasant surprise if I did! An A is obviously what I want as a minimum.

Which paper did you do for the December mock?
Which paper did you do for the December mock?

For my Dec mock I did June 2014. I don't remember the reading passage exactly, but I know it was the June 2014 CIE paper, and that was the one I got an A* on (our school set grade boundaries that they thought would be representative of the grades) - 37/50.
For my March mock exam, I recall doing the Pixl paper with the passage about the volcano. That was slightly harder than my Dec mock, and the department also raised the boundaries to give us an extreme example of what to expect/prepare for. I scraped an A on this one, with 32/50.
Reply 28
For my Dec mock I did June 2014. I don't remember the reading passage exactly, but I know it was the June 2014 CIE paper,

Did it happen to be about a terrible hotel and raging mum Mrs Wilkie

Posted from TSR Mobile
For my Dec mock I did June 2014. I don't remember the reading passage exactly, but I know it was the June 2014 CIE paper, and that was the one I got an A* on (our school set grade boundaries that they thought would be representative of the grades) - 37/50.
For my March mock exam, I recall doing the Pixl paper with the passage about the volcano. That was slightly harder than my Dec mock, and the department also raised the boundaries to give us an extreme example of what to expect/prepare for. I scraped an A on this one, with 32/50.

I did the volcano one as my one and only mock. It was the pixl paper. I got 34/50 and my teacher told me it was a C but I think she read the wrong grade boundaries and used the coursework ones instead 😂! Put it this way, she told us we needed 44/50 for an A! She's useless though so I'm not at all surprised!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Did it happen to be about a terrible hotel and raging mum Mrs Wilkie

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea, that was it.
I did the volcano one as my one and only mock. It was the pixl paper. I got 34/50 and my teacher told me it was a C but I think she read the wrong grade boundaries and used the coursework ones instead 😂! Put it this way, she told us we needed 44/50 for an A! She's useless though so I'm not at all surprised!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I recall our teacher saying everyone got above an A in the coursework, where the grade boundary was 44. So for the Pixl paper I believe you got an A.
I recall our teacher saying everyone got above an A in the coursework, where the grade boundary was 44. So for the Pixl paper I believe you got an A.

I suspected that might of been the case. Tbh I ignored the grade and just paid attention to the number of marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I suspected that might of been the case. Tbh I ignored the grade and just paid attention to the number of marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is English your first exam then, 5th May? I'm sort of happy I can get English out the way early on. When did you start your revision for this exam/how much have you done?
Is English your first exam then, 5th May? I'm sort of happy I can get English out the way early on. When did you start your revision for this exam/how much have you done?

Yep. Revision wise I won't be doing too much. I got a B last year so there's more pressure for me to do well at the sciences and other subjects. I didn't revise for the mock and got an A so that's what I'm hoping for. We're doing revision every lesson in class anyway...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep. Revision wise I won't be doing too much. I got a B last year so there's more pressure for me to do well at the sciences and other subjects. I didn't revise for the mock and got an A so that's what I'm hoping for. We're doing revision every lesson in class anyway...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea, I'm aiming for around 9 A*'s total. For my mocks, I didn't do much revision at all, and got those grades so I've only really started light revision this easter. Are you doing Aqa triple science too?
Yea, I'm aiming for around 9 A*'s total. For my mocks, I didn't do much revision at all, and got those grades so I've only really started light revision this easter. Are you doing Aqa triple science too?

Yes I am. I'm aiming for 5A*s 4As and 2Bs. I believe that would be the best results the school have had for many years now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I am. I'm aiming for 5A*s 4As and 2Bs. I believe that would be the best results the school have had for many years now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you want to add me on Skype so we can quiz each other for revision?
Reply 38
Yea, that was it.

Hahaha that was my paper last summer and it's weird to think that people are now doing it as their mock

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm panicking so much for this exam , in particular, paper 2 directed composition and narrative/ descriptive writing and question 1 of paper one. I just can't make the inferences from the texts !

Quick Reply