The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Geography Unit 4 Cold Environments HELP!

Scroll to see replies

The only resemblance to the pre release was changing distribution. Why the heck did they decide to ignore the 'varying processes and varying nature'? Didn't go to plan at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 121
Um well,

I started by stating the distribution of ice at the Last Glacial Maximum / Devensian period, and the compared it to the current distribution.
Then I suggested processes as to how it could change so like Milankovitch cycles and evaluated Milankovitch
Then stated the role of CO2 fluctuations in the Pliestocene
Then introduced the concept of anthropogenic climate change
Then two projected outcomes for anthropogenic climate change - one where the ice decreases, so like talked about the disintegration of the Larsen B ice shelf and the temp changes in the Antarctic Peninsula - and one where the ice increases, so if katabatic winds off the coast of Greenland are lost due to melting, so the gulf stream shuts down and ice readvances over Western Europe.

I'm not sure if that was the right thing to do but...?
My conclusion was REALLY bad due to lack of time.... hope they credit ongoing evaluation in the report or else bye uni lol.
Original post by Daxen
Um well,

I started by stating the distribution of ice at the Last Glacial Maximum / Devensian period, and the compared it to the current distribution.
Then I suggested processes as to how it could change so like Milankovitch cycles and evaluated Milankovitch
Then stated the role of CO2 fluctuations in the Pliestocene
Then introduced the concept of anthropogenic climate change
Then two projected outcomes for anthropogenic climate change - one where the ice decreases, so like talked about the disintegration of the Larsen B ice shelf and the temp changes in the Antarctic Peninsula - and one where the ice increases, so if katabatic winds off the coast of Greenland are lost due to melting, so the gulf stream shuts down and ice readvances over Western Europe.

I'm not sure if that was the right thing to do but...?
My conclusion was REALLY bad due to lack of time.... hope they credit ongoing evaluation in the report or else bye uni lol.

I did a whole page on the Antarctic peninsula! Geography review volume 24 right :wink: I was so rushed and write really slowly so left out at least a third of my content but if you have done a continual evaluation you should still get the conclusion marks the conclusion is really just bringing them all together
Reply 123
Original post by polarbear123
I did a whole page on the Antarctic peninsula! Geography review volume 24 right :wink: I was so rushed and write really slowly so left out at least a third of my content but if you have done a continual evaluation you should still get the conclusion marks the conclusion is really just bringing them all together

Yep! Good old Mike Bentley :wink: I only mentioned it for a couple of sentences as it was just to support my point but those sick figures about the Vernadsky/Faraday station saved my back :smile: I had to leave loads of my good stuff out too due to time :frown: mmm I hope I've just done well enough to scrape my offer... I'm hoping to get maybe 61-62.
Original post by Lizzie_Rose
The only resemblance to the pre release was changing distribution. Why the heck did they decide to ignore the 'varying processes and varying nature'? Didn't go to plan at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats exactly how I felt :/

I didn't really expect them to ask anything about the varying nature but the processes were the most important stuff I thought
I think the question was worded really oddly. I tried to adapt causes of climate change to impacts of it on distribution but felt like thats not what they wanted ! AH!
Original post by jessicadanby1996
I think the question was worded really oddly. I tried to adapt causes of climate change to impacts of it on distribution but felt like thats not what they wanted ! AH!

That's what I did sort of. I talked about past events such as the LGM or Medieval Warm Period, said their causes and then the effect on distribution..

I feel like they must know even now that they made a mistake, there's no way you could really do a whole report on that without bringing wider-stuff after what we were given in the pre release.
Original post by jessicadanby1996

That's what I did as well can you remember the exact question they asked I have forgotten already? Haha luckily all I learnt was reasons for changes I did nothing in nature what does the nature of cold environments mean?
Original post by polarbear123
That's what I did as well can you remember the exact question they asked I have forgotten already? Haha luckily all I learnt was reasons for changes I did nothing in nature what does the nature of cold environments mean?

Assess the impact changing climate has on the distribution of Cold Environments
I talked about milankovitch cycles, global warming and and ocean currents. I gave a pretty long description and then for the sub conclusions and conclusions i related the impacts of each of the factors to the distribution of cold environments??

Hope thats right :/
Looks like we're all in the same boat here - I just regurgitated my model answer and added a sentence at the end of each paragraph attempting to draw it back to the question. Spent my precious last minutes adding references to everything. Mine looked something like this:

intro
definitions and current distributions of glacial polar / glacial alpine / periglacial / relict and active environments
definitions of quaternary / pleistocene / holocene / (inter)glacials / (inter)stadials
the argument that we've now entered an epoch where humans intervene in cold environment distribution
drawing it to Sellers' Global Climatic Model (1968)

methodology
pros and cons of textbooks, academic journals, documentaries and internet articles

analysis
milankovich cycles / biological pump / closing of the Panama isthmus / heinrich events / eruption theory / explanation of last and first glacial maximum as well as little ice age and medieval warm period / methane, albedo change and positive feedback in the arctic / human contribution

conclusion
just a summary of the above

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending