The Student Room Group

Geography graduate fails to secure a permanent role after 13 years.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3026362/Geography-graduate-applied-500-jobs-t-permanent-role.html#comments
Huw Davies has been hunting for a permanent job for almost 13 years
34-year-old has not been called for a single interview during that time
Applied for a string of jobs - including a train driver - but with no joy
Has a geography degree, three A-levels and 10 GCSEs on his CV
Has also spent time teaching in South Africa, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia

Let this be a warning that mickey mouse degrees will leave you on Jobseekers allowance and possibly even homeless.

Scroll to see replies

In similar position (will not really, graduated in july) with physics degree.
1) His CV isn't good
2) The large gaps of time in his CV obviously aren't helping him - it's a catch 22.
This says more about him than anything else.
Reply 4
He must be doing something awful, he has foreign experience and the grades so it's clearly not that.
Geography isn't really a mickey mouse degree...

I think people take a degree and expect to be handed a job. That doesn't happen in the real World.
"my CV has been redone 3 or 4 times"

bruh

in 13 years, I'd be getting that checked out more than that
Tbh, it dpends. Maybe he did not try hard enough to seek jobs. :s-smilie:
Original post by Tillybop

I think people take a degree and expect to be handed a job. That doesn't happen in the real World.

YES WE GET IT YOU HAVE A JOB. Most of us don't just expect be handed a job. We have it blasted into our ears how worthless and pointless our degree really is on a regular basis from all angles. We are not deaf.

Would you be expected to be handed a job in say spectroscopic analyses in a lab without a degree in a relevant science? Not to mention apprenticeship type things that used to be open for that kind of job are non existent now.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
YES WE GET IT YOU HAVE A JOB. Most of us don't just expect be handed a job.

Would you be expected to be handed a job in say spectroscopic analyses in a lab without a degree in a relevant science? Not to mention apprenticeship type things that used to be open for that kind of job are non existent now.

So what I'm not allowed to reply on any education related threads because I work? :erm: And I was never handed a job, I worked very hard to get it.

Yes - certain careers do need a degree, I'm not denying that. But you cannot expect to just walk into a job, because you have a degree. That's not how it works.
So what I'm not allowed to reply on any education related threads because I work? :erm: And I was never handed a job, I worked very hard to get it.

Yes - certain careers do need a degree, I'm not denying that. But you cannot expect to just walk into a job, because you have a degree. That's not how it works.

I meant as a grad, and I'm sure most grads, don't expect to be handed a job. Not that you were just handed yours.
I meant as a grad, and I'm sure most grads, don't expect to be handed a job. Not that you were just handed yours.

Fair enough. I think some people honestly do believe that they'll walk into a job when they leave Uni though.
I know of people with good STEM degrees that are still unemployed years after graduating. One had a Maths degree and Masters and he's driving a cab.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tehforum
1) His CV isn't good
2) The large gaps of time in his CV obviously aren't helping him - it's a catch 22.

3) possibly failed to 'lower himself' to taking jobs with certain employers and missed out on 'ways in' to some organisations which are mainly via entry level job and internal vacancies ...

Meh, people on my course get handed jobs as early as first year. Depending on how hard working they are.

Lots of head hunting goes on at my uni lol.

I do an arts degree btw.
(edited 9 years ago)
Fair enough. I think some people honestly do believe that they'll walk into a job when they leave Uni though.

Probably. I'm kind fo the opposite. Always felt really crap and incapable and like I haven't even learned any useful. I'm a self fulfilling prophecy.

You can't make a career out of regurgitating information onto a test paper. Which is what I have spent my whole life doing up to this point.
It is either a poor reflection of him or The Mail playing fast and loose with the truth to create a clickbait article. Or possibly a combination of the two.
Probably. I'm kind fo the opposite. Always felt really crap and incapable and like I haven't even learned any useful. I'm a self fulfilling prophecy.

You can't make a career out of regurgitating information onto a test paper. Which is what I have spent my whole life doing up to this point.

Uni isn't just about exams, it's what you (should've) done in societies, and other things where you can gain the competencies that employers are looking for.

I know someone who felt as though Uni made them feel like more of a failure then they actually were. It's bad that you've come to feel that way, and I'm sure it's not true. You're not crap and incapable - you probably just need to learn where your skills lie - maybe do some work experience or placements during the summer months, to find out what interests you :h:
If he's not had a secure job after 13 years I think that has something to do with him rather than his degree. Are you thick OP?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending