The Student Room Group

Computer science - Manchester or Bath?

Hello everyone!

I am going to study computer science starting this September and I am really having a hard time picking my firm choice. (Manchester or Bath)

Bath seems very attractive because there might be some opportunities for entrepreneurs (I want to start my own business someday), but I am worried that there's nothing to do because Bath is a small city.

I have to mention that I'm not interested in an industrial placement year.

What is Bath like? What is Manchester like? - student life, academic life, etc
Which one is better for computer science?
Are the rankings relevant? Bath is higher than Manchester in UK rankings, but it doesn't appear anywhere in international rankings

Thanks
Reply 1
Anyone?
Domestic rankings are extremely dodgy (The Guardian League Table being the worst of them all). Just look at some of the universities like Edinburgh, Manchester, KCL, Glasgow etc. Do you really think their rank is realistic - It is a complete joke. In my opinion, international rankings are a much more reliable benchmark for overall reputation and global presence. At least there there are no ridiculous phenomenons such as a university skyrocketing or plumetting in the rankings just because of the emphasis on student satisfaction scores. League tables and rankings can give you a basic idea, but not the whole story.

Both Manchester and Bath have strong CS departments, both are respected universities. Arguing which is better for CS would be like splitting hairs - they both have their pros and cons. You should ask yourself which university is better for YOUR needs and expectations.

1. Which course structure do you prefer out of the two? - Check out their web-sites and carefully compare each course. Which one caters to your interests?
2. Do you insist their department to have a strong research profile? - Check the REF2014 subject rankings for CS.
3. Do you want to go to a top targeted university? - Check the latest study in this regard - The Graduate Market 2015 (page 33) - http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/2015/graduate_market/GMReport15.pdf .
4. Talk to people who have went to open days and/or go to open days yourself.

I hope that helped.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
I'm a CS student about to graduate from Manchester, and all I can say is that coming here was the best decision I ever made.

Opportunities for academic, personal and career growth are almost endless. The facilities in the Kilburn Building (Computer Science building) are top notch, and they make sure you have all the hardware you require available to you.

In my third year I ended up building a robot which cost over 5000 pounds. The department bought all the components I needed!

I know nothing about Bath.
I can't speak about Manchester but I looked around Bath (I'll be applying for CS next year, just not to Bath) and really didn't like the university. The city is really nice but I'd definitely suggest that you should visit if you can as I immediately knew that I didn't want to spend 3/4 years there. That's just my opinion and I'm sure many people love being there, I've heard good things about the department but it really depends on the person.

Quick Reply

Latest