The Student Room Group

Drugalysers now in force

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31683571

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/derbyshire-police-now-able-to-use-drugalyser-devices-on-the-roadside-1-7136216

Whilst i generally see this as a good thing, i have some concerns.
Mainly this quote:

"He said any exposure would render people over the limit and would leave them over the limit for up to 36 hours"

I'm not really sure how that would work. With drugs like cannabis the effects would have all but wore off after 12 hours, so in that sense it seems more of a general attack on users in general? Considering if someone got pulled over 24 hours after taking a small amount of a drug, its highly unlikely they would be under the influence of any effects.
It will be interesting to see how this holds up in court regarding cannabis. I've read different figures for how long after smoking you would fail a drugalyser, but it seems somewhere between 12-24 hours.

So when the first court case comes up and the defedant claims they smoked cannabis the previous day, what's going to happen?

If they still get convicted then it pretty much means the government have told people if you smoke cannabis you can't drive, which is ****ed up.
Original post by Spetznaaz
It will be interesting to see how this holds up in court regarding cannabis. I've read different figures for how long after smoking you would fail a drugalyser, but it seems somewhere between 12-24 hours.

So when the first court case comes up and the defedant claims they smoked cannabis the previous day, what's going to happen?

If they still get convicted then it pretty much means the government have told people if you smoke cannabis you can't drive, which is ****ed up.

Why is that messed up? At the moment it's illegal anyway, let alone the fact that it would impair people driving. Is anyone going to actually make the claim that driving whilst high is 100% safe for everyone?

At the end of the day, if there are accidents because of reckless people driving whilst on certain drugs, it's time to stop them from happening. I've seen people who would be ok with taking stuff before driving home at night but wouldnt drink incase they were pulled over; hopefully this will have the same effect because my god they couldnt drive for ****. :lol:
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Why is that messed up? At the moment it's illegal anyway, let alone the fact that it would impair people driving. Is anyone going to actually make the claim that driving whilst high is 100% safe for everyone?

At the end of the day, if there are accidents because of reckless people driving whilst on certain drugs, it's time to stop them from happening. I've seen people who would be ok with taking stuff before driving home at night but wouldnt drink incase they were pulled over; hopefully this will have the same effect because my god they couldnt drive for ****. :lol:

No, it's not illegal for a person who smokes cannabis to drive, nor is it illegal to be under the influence of cannabis.

Yes it is illegal to drive under the influence of cannabis but that's not what i said.

If this test detects cannabis 24hr after exposure it is not just targeting people who are driving stoned, it is targeting anyone who smokes cannabis and drives when sober, i.e the next day to work.

Edit - plus it's really hard to know if cannabis has caused an accident. You can test the blood of every driver who has an accident and any of them who smoke cannabis will show it in their system - It is automatically blamed on the cannabis when it may have had nothing to do with the accident.
(edited 9 years ago)
No, it's not illegal for a person who smokes cannabis to drive, nor is it illegal to be under the influence of cannabis.

Yes it is illegal to drive under the influence of cannabis but that's not what i said.

If this test detects cannabis 24hr after exposure it is not just targeting people who are driving stoned, it is targeting anyone who smokes cannabis and drives when sober, i.e the next day to work.

I'm really confused where you're coming from. It's a controlled substance. It inhibits people's ability to drive. There's just not much more to say on the matter than that. If people have a 'chungover' that should be as much a reason not to drive as a hangover is.
I'm really confused where you're coming from. It's a controlled substance. It inhibits people's ability to drive. There's just not much more to say on the matter than that. If people have a 'chungover' that should be as much a reason not to drive as a hangover is.

Chungover? Weed doesn't give you a hangover if that's what you mean.

Let me clarify: Assuming this test will detect cannabis up to 24 hours after someone smokes, people will test positive when they are neither under the influence nor impaired i.e who haven't smoked cannabis since the previous day.

I'm not talking about people who are actually under the influence and driving, i'm talking about the 6 million+ people who may smoke a joint after work then drive to work completely sober the next day.

Plus i'm guessing this drug road side test is not enough to be used in court - Like how when someone fails a roadside breathalyser they must provide another specimen at the station on a more advanced analyser or a blood/urine test.

If they take a blood test for cannabis it would detect cannabis even if someone hasn't smoked in months.
Reply 6

It'd be like getting a drink driving conviction for having half a pint, a trifle or a chocolate liquor over 24 hours ago.
(edited 9 years ago)
Chungover? Weed doesn't give you a hangover if that's what you mean.

Let me clarify: Assuming this test will detect cannabis up to 24 hours after someone smokes, people will test positive when they are neither under the influence nor impaired i.e who haven't smoked cannabis since the previous day.

I'm not talking about people who are actually under the influence and driving, i'm talking about the 6 million+ people who may smoke a joint after work then drive to work completely sober the next day.

Plus i'm guessing this drug road side test is not enough to be used in court - Like how when someone fails a roadside breathalyser they must provide another specimen at the station on a more advanced analyser or a blood/urine test.

If they take a blood test for cannabis it would detect cannabis even if someone hasn't smoked in months.

A harmless joke :tongue:

So what you're saying is, when Cannabis is in some peoples systems, they're not impaired? In what way does that differ from the current inebriation laws? There are certain boxes of chocolate that would put people over the limit.

The harsh truth is it's to prevent people from abusing the current systems (which they are), and as it's a Class B controlled substance I'm kind of unsympathetic to the people enjoying a joint after work to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I personally fully advocate the legalisation of Cannabis, but as it's currently illegal to possess, anyone driving stupid enough to get pulled over and tested who hasn't had a joint since yesterday evening definitely deserves it for being so daft. If this makes people a bit more careful about getting high and driving then it's worth it.

This is definitely more aimed at the current culture of taking coke so that you can go out and drive home without getting in trouble for being drunk though.

Original post by n00
It'd be like getting a drink driving conviction for having half a pint, a trifle or a chocolate liquor over 24 hours ago.

That's exactly what it would be like. If someone goes out and drives in a dangerous way, and when tested they've got alcohol in the system from the box of chocolates they got given, well then maybe they should have been a better driver. :indiff:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8

That's exactly what it would be like. If someone goes out and drives in a dangerous way, and when tested they've got alcohol in the system from the box of chocolates they got given, well then maybe they should have been a better driver. :indiff:

Almost, it'd be like being convicted for testing positive for a metabolite of alcohol that casues no impairment.
(edited 9 years ago)
A harmless joke :tongue:

So what you're saying is, when Cannabis is in some peoples systems, they're not impaired? In what way does that differ from the current inebriation laws? There are certain boxes of chocolate that would put people over the limit.

The harsh truth is it's to prevent people from abusing the current systems (which they are), and as it's a Class B controlled substance I'm kind of unsympathetic to the people enjoying a joint after work to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I personally fully advocate the legalisation of Cannabis, but as it's currently illegal to possess, anyone driving stupid enough to get pulled over and tested who hasn't had a joint since yesterday evening definitely deserves it for being so daft. If this makes people a bit more careful about getting high and driving then it's worth it.

This is definitely more aimed at the current culture of taking coke so that you can go out and drive home without getting in trouble for being drunk though.

Correct, they are not impaired, cannabis will remain in someone's system for months (especially in long term smokers). People are only impaired by cannabis for the length of it's effects.

I'd say it differs because i've had many a hang over and i know it's not safe to drive the next morning after getting slaughtered and there is probably evidence to back this up. Plus i'm pretty sure the amount of alcohol in your blood correlates to your level of inebriation whereas the same is not true for cannabis. Edit - see above.

A box of chocolates isn't going to put anyone over the limit, maybe 10 boxes. I can sell those things to anyone over 16.

The police don't just pull you over if you're driving badly btw.. Okay it's a class B substance and is a crime to posses. But this new thing is now saying, "actually now it's a crime to be a person who smokes weed, and be a person who drives a motor vehicle" which is unfair on the millions of people who don't drive stoned but do enjoy a smoke and are safe drivers.

Christ i've been a smoker for a long time and i drive through the city every day and have done for 7 years (been driving for 10) - So many crashes avoided by me - People pulling into my lane without looking, not knowing which lane to be in on round abouts etc. I see terrible driving every time i go out and i assure you it's not down to drugs or alcohol it's down to retarded drivers. (not saying drugs or alcohol are safe to drive on)

But this law says i'm a bad driver and should be banned.. right.

Anyway as i said originally, i will be interesting to see how this holds up in court. Imo it probably won't - "I smoked last night, i was not under the influence or impaired" - Does the court not then have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that i was impaired..?

I suppose it depends on the wording of the law.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hal.E.Lujah - What an ill informed and utterly clueless response. How would you like to get a criminal record from a glass of wine you drank 36 hours ago? I smoke on a Saturday night to relax as I prefer not to drink. I am a family man, with my own business, I work HARD and I pay a lot of tax. I only smoke in my own garden ( never in the house) - I am NOT a criminal. However if I got drugalysed a few days later I would lose my licence, get a criminal record and then lose my job, house and everything. Just for smoking a joint at the weekend? It looks like you are one of these people that is incapable of free thought and can only be herded along with the tripe that is mass media.
(edited 8 years ago)
unfortunately Changeisneeded you are a criminal, an unprosecuted one as yet, but if you indulge in trees your a crim in the UK, and that's about it. stupid I agree, as I like trees me self, not just to unwind! I like to get fugfaced, for no other reason than I like it and it's nice...!
I smoke then work the next day. I work at 5, finish at 11, then don't drive until 5pm the next day. I am being penalised because I like a joint rather then a beer at night. Anyways, after not smoking for 2 days ( had kids night before) I went to work at 11am on Friday. At 330 I got pulled by police and searched me, my car and then swabbed me. This came back positive. And I can promise I wasn't under the influence at all. So the test is a dud. 5 hours of my time, plus may lose my license all because of a drug that is detected in your blood for about 72 hours. That's my life as a delivery driver for 6 years gone. That's me not being able to collect my kids from school. This was the third sean test I have done now the. 2 before were negative. ******** yeah?
Hello how are you interesting story did they take a blood test at the police station and if so what was outcome ?
Original post by Arrow w34
I smoke then work the next day. I work at 5, finish at 11, then don't drive until 5pm the next day. I am being penalised because I like a joint rather then a beer at night. Anyways, after not smoking for 2 days ( had kids night before) I went to work at 11am on Friday. At 330 I got pulled by police and searched me, my car and then swabbed me. This came back positive. And I can promise I wasn't under the influence at all. So the test is a dud. 5 hours of my time, plus may lose my license all because of a drug that is detected in your blood for about 72 hours. That's my life as a delivery driver for 6 years gone. That's me not being able to collect my kids from school. This was the third sean test I have done now the. 2 before were negative. ******** yeah?

Could you please ellaborate the details with us as your exapmle unfortunately a very accurate to the problem most of us could face with, but it's not discussed anywhere.
What happened after that? How seriously did they take it and did it influenced your life in any way? Thanks
The original arguments for banning weed were based on racism, so if you're in favour of prohibition you're a racist.
Reply 16
Original post by wtfisthissystem
Could you please ellaborate the details with us as your exapmle unfortunately a very accurate to the problem most of us could face with, but it's not discussed anywhere.
What happened after that? How seriously did they take it and did it influenced your life in any way? Thanks

you quoted a troll that hasn't posted in a year so you are unlikely to get a response. i'm closing this thread. but feel free to start a new one if you're concerned about this legislation.

Latest

Trending

Trending