The Student Room Group

OCR A2 and AS Geography 2015

Hey guys, thought i would create this thread for people who are doing the OCR geography course for both AS and A2. All i saw was AQA and i felt a little left out:wink: feel free to post questions and answers about the course if you want.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does anyone have any predictions for the A2 Earth hazarda or development 30 markers for this June??
Does anyone know the exam questions that came up from last year (June 2014)? They don't appear on the OCR website and I guess it's because schools and colleges use them as mock material. That way it can be easier to see what might come up. :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by M.D.Karmel
Does anyone know the exam questions that came up from last year (June 2014)? They don't appear on the OCR website and I guess it's because schools and colleges use them as mock material. That way it can be easier to see what might come up. :biggrin:

i think i did that exam from my mock from what i can remember
Is that the population and resources 30 marker questions were
'the sustainable management of resources is becoming increasingly difficult, discuss' and
'overpopulation brings more challenges than overpopulation'
i also remember that the climatic hazards 30 markers we 'climatic hazards are relatively straightforward to predict' and 'Climatic hazards tend to bring more short term impacts' from what i can remember.
But isn't it risky predicting what the questions are gonna be??
Reply 4
Best revision tips for studying case studies in AS, mainly in human tropics on urban change? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Acton
Best revision tips for studying case studies in AS, mainly in human tropics on urban change? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The way i found most effective is to do some revision posters on your case studies. For example i used Newcastle as one of my case studies for urban and wrote on it loads of info, relevant facts and figs. In AS you use case studies to exemplify the points you make which further helps you to make a final comment, (If that makes sense). But yeah i found doing revision posters most effective for case studies
Reply 6
Original post by MAXNG97
The way i found most effective is to do some revision posters on your case studies. For example i used Newcastle as one of my case studies for urban and wrote on it loads of info, relevant facts and figs. In AS you use case studies to exemplify the points you make which further helps you to make a final comment, (If that makes sense). But yeah i found doing revision posters most effective for case studies

Yeah I've done quite a few posters, is it a matter of looking at it every single way or what? How do you test yourself to see if you know them ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Acton
Yeah I've done quite a few posters, is it a matter of looking at it every single way or what? How do you test yourself to see if you know them ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh in which case, doing the 9 and 25 mark questions in exam conditions is the best way to test your knowledge, if you find yourself stuck on exemplifying a point or comparing it to another case study then you can see if you remembered them well or not.
Reply 8
Original post by MAXNG97
Hey guys, thought i would create this thread for people who are doing the OCR geography course for both AS and A2. All i saw was AQA and i felt a little left out:wink: feel free to post questions and answers about the course if you want.

Thanks for setting up this OCR thread
Reply 9
For the AS - Managing Change in Human Environments paper, does anyone have any idea of how to answer or what to cover

How possible conflicts in human activities can be resolved in an urban area? [6 Marks]

How possible conflicts in human activities can be resolved in a rural area? [6 Marks]
Reply 10
Original post by DMaster1
For the AS - Managing Change in Human Environments paper, does anyone have any idea of how to answer or what to cover

How possible conflicts in human activities can be resolved in an urban area? [6 Marks]

How possible conflicts in human activities can be resolved in a rural area? [6 Marks]

That is a tricky one actually, I think it is probably referring to land use conflicting such as industry being located right next to a suburban area. Had a little surf on the net and simple strategies such as urban planning with the use of green regions to separate land uses. Redevelopment of derilict areas to remove visual pollution. It's only six marks so two points are really needed with a brief example ( I just use any old city for these types)
Reply 11
Original post by MAXNG97
Oh in which case, doing the 9 and 25 mark questions in exam conditions is the best way to test your knowledge, if you find yourself stuck on exemplifying a point or comparing it to another case study then you can see if you remembered them well or not.

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have any predictions on what the 2 marker question will be?
For Physical Geography and Human Geography?
does anyone know what the 10 mark question on earth hazards was on in june 2014??? (landslides/flooding/volcanoes/earthquakes?!)
Reply 14
So having a look at past papers, reckon this could come up. June 2010 - With reference to one or more river basins, examine the factors affecting the development of landforms of fluvial deposition? (25). How would you answer this?!
Reply 15
Original post by JCP96
So having a look at past papers, reckon this could come up. June 2010 - With reference to one or more river basins, examine the factors affecting the development of landforms of fluvial deposition? (25). How would you answer this?!

-You could talk about any HE or SE strategies used for a names example and then explain how that affects the development of landforms such as braided streams, floodplains, levees etc..

-You could relate it to human activities suck as transportation, leisure industry etc how they're built on floodplains.

-Gradient of the river valley, how that's got to to with velocity of the river.

-The discharge, in relation to the river's capacity to carry load.

-Sediment size
-Geology of the surrounding land
-Part of the river valley, so upper, middle or lower.

However for each point just stick in a.named example and explain how formation of depiction all and forms are accepted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Anyone got the paper from June 2014 for global issues? Want to know the essay questions for earth hazards :s-smilie:?
Original post by MAXNG97
That is a tricky one actually, I think it is probably referring to land use conflicting such as industry being located right next to a suburban area. Had a little surf on the net and simple strategies such as urban planning with the use of green regions to separate land uses. Redevelopment of derilict areas to remove visual pollution. It's only six marks so two points are really needed with a brief example ( I just use any old city for these types)

Thank you. I was thinking for rural a conflict could be better transport links causing rural residents to shop and work further away and that causing a decline in local businesses.
Reply 18
Any tips on how to answer 4 mark questions on graphs and data ???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Acton
Any tips on how to answer 4 mark questions on graphs and data ???

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would say talk about any correlation, mention any anomalies and use the data to give examples

Quick Reply

Latest