The Student Room Group

Educational Psychology Doctorate 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jaffcakes89
Is it possible to get onto a doctorate with just an MA in Psychology? Or is an BA and MA necessary?

You need to have BPS accreditation so it depends whether the MA is
Original post by The Pale Dreamer
You need to have BPS accreditation so it depends whether the MA is

Yes it is. But I haven't finished the course yet.
(edited 5 years ago)
From what I've gathered most who get on the course are teachers. Or at least have a PGCE. It's insanely competitive. I spent last year of my undergraduate in placement working in a school for severe learning disabilities and Autism and worked alongside the Ed Psych. How competitive it is just put me off completely.

How much experience in education do you have?
Two years teaching - I have a PGCE from Durham. Four years in various other roles including support work, youth work, coordinating a group for autistic children. My first degree was in youth studies and youth work.

I just want to know if not having two psychology degrees will hinder my application.
(edited 8 years ago)

As it's accredited that is enough to meet the academic requirements for the course - in my cohort no one has a masters except a PGCE and one did an undergrad degree that wasn't accredited and then did the conversion course
Are you suggesting that it's harder to get on with an MA rather than a BA? Can I ask which course you are studying?
Are you suggesting that it's harder to get on with an MA rather than a BA? Can I ask which course you are studying?

No, I don't know whether one is easier than the other. More that it's more common to have an undergrad psychology degree (from my experience)
I've applied for 2016 entry and am very eager to know if I got an interview. I've applied to Cardiff, Bristol, Manchester and Exeter. Has anyone heard from these universities? Do any previous applicants remember around when they were told they had an interview?

Good luck everyone!
Reply 29
I applied as well for the 2016 intake! I have a bps accredited degree from cardiff, a msc and about 3 years experience working as a ta/lsa with children and 3 months as a teacher in Japan. I keep on checking, but still no change in the application website/any emails. As far as I know, a MA isn't essential - the main requirements are a bps degree and minimum of 1 year experience with children. I applied to ucl, IOE and Tavistock. What about other people? The personal statement was tricky considering the character count.
Reply 30
Original post by Irishgoat
I've applied for 2016 entry and am very eager to know if I got an interview. I've applied to Cardiff, Bristol, Manchester and Exeter. Has anyone heard from these universities? Do any previous applicants remember around when they were told they had an interview?

Good luck everyone!

Hiya, you applied to four? I thought the limit was 3 or do Cardiff count as different because they are in Wales?
Reply 31
Anyone else nervously waiting to hear about interviews?
Reply 32
Frustrating that many of them say they'll be in touch "in the new year". Anyway, good luck all!
Reply 33
Yep, I've been checking my emails and the application website everyday now. I looked at the blurb at different unis and some have the interviews in March, so that may explain why no word yet.
Reply 34
I called today - Tavistock said it should be end of Jan/early Feb. UEL and IoE are mid-late Feb. The wait is agonising isnt it? And i di find it a little frustrating that our deadlines were set out but there's are much less clear.
Sheffield university have just updated application status . I was unsuccessful 😔. It's so competitive!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by Ziggs
I called today - Tavistock said it should be end of Jan/early Feb. UEL and IoE are mid-late Feb. The wait is agonising isnt it? And i di find it a little frustrating that our deadlines were set out but there's are much less clear.

Hi Ziggs, were those the dates of the possible interviews or when they let people know if they had an interview or not? Many thanks!
Reply 37
Original post by quiqui
Hi Ziggs, were those the dates of the possible interviews or when they let people know if they had an interview or not? Many thanks!

When they get in touch... I got a no from Tavistock :-(
Reply 38
Thank you for replying. I'm sorry to hear you got a no from Tavistock. I haven't heard anything from any of the three I applied to, so still waiting ....
Reply 39
Anyone else heard from Tavistock? I got an email after I submitted the application in December that said they would be in touch after the 20th of January and that the interviews are on the "1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th February 2016." They don't give much notice do they?

Quick Reply

Latest