The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Accommodation for Law Students (2015)

Hi all, I'm a 23 year-old guy who's received an offer from York for the 2-year graduate entry/ senior status LLB programme. Which accommodation do you guys think I should apply for? I have experience of living with older students (and by that I mean over 30) and I think I'd much rather live with students my age. Which hall has more 'senior status students' (younger than 30 and over 20)? Would be great to hear from you guys!
Well, Wentworth is the graduate only college, so there's that, but you can't get much further from your lectures without leaving campus. I think post grads would be clumped together in the accommodation though elsewhere

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of York
York
Reply 2
Thanks for your answer. Do you know if the majority of students go home for the holidays? I'm considering putting Holland Hall as my number one pick but I don't like the fact that it has a 30-week contract.

Original post by Jammy Duel
Well, Wentworth is the graduate only college, so there's that, but you can't get much further from your lectures without leaving campus. I think post grads would be clumped together in the accommodation though elsewhere

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mateof15
Thanks for your answer. Do you know if the majority of students go home for the holidays? I'm considering putting Holland Hall as my number one pick but I don't like the fact that it has a 30-week contract.

I would say most do, some will stay a bit longer but for the most part it's dead during holidays.
Hi mateof15! Even if you're not living in Wentworth and you choose one of our other colleges, we house our postgraduate students together in dedicated blocks or flats so you'll be living with people around your age or older.

Here is a bit more information about our postgraduate accommodation:

http://www.york.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/accommodation/

We don't have a Holland Hall as part of our University of York accommodation, but there is a private off-campus halls of residence called Holgate Hall which you might be thinking of?

Let me know if you have any questions!

- AM
|'m also an older student (i did 2 years of uni in canada before accepting york law) do you all think living in goodricke since its where the law classes are is a good idea? and how far is it to main campus? should i go for main or east? and for anyone who's gone through the process, is it lottery based or do you get to choose? like if you put down that you want goodricke how likely are you to get it?
Original post by Karina1196
|'m also an older student (i did 2 years of uni in canada before accepting york law) do you all think living in goodricke since its where the law classes are is a good idea? and how far is it to main campus? should i go for main or east? and for anyone who's gone through the process, is it lottery based or do you get to choose? like if you put down that you want goodricke how likely are you to get it?

Hi Karina,

If being close to your department is important to you Goodricke is a great choice, but Langwith and Constantine are also very near by (all three colleges are next to each other). It's about a 20 minute walk from Goodricke to the Library on Heslington West, and there's also a regular free shuttle bus which only takes 5-10 minutes.

We have a new application process this year so it's a bit different to the process that previous applicants went through. You used to apply in August when you had met your course requirements, and you would only be shown the colleges and room types that hadn't already been chosen. Now we're asking everyone to apply in May at conditional stage, so you'll be able to choose from all the possible options.

We can't say exactly what chance you'll have of getting your preferred college, but it will boost your chances if you apply early. The system will be opening in May (keep an eye on http://www.york.ac.uk/accommodation), and date range will be taken into account (as well as if you choose us as a Firm choice) Each room option is connected to a college, so if you're really keen on Goodricke you should put both of the Goodricke room options as your top two preferences.

I hope that's a help! Let me know if you have any more questions.

- AM

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending