The Student Room Group

AS-Level Maths Entry Requirements

I have chose to do A Level Maths, as a course in Post 16 (I'm doing my GCSE tests next month :eek: ) because lets be honest Maths is a beautiful subject, when you delve into it.

Anyways back to the topic, I need help on what I should know, when I take my entry requirement test, so that I can do AS Level Maths. What kind of Algebra stuff do I need to know? Can you be detailed please, so that I know what I should go over, and what kind of stuff I should go over?

Thank you for your detailed~ness ahaha :colone: :colondollar::cool::biggrin::smile::tongue::wink::redface:
Hello, im working towards my AS level maths at the moment and ive got on quite well so far... CORE 1 which is the first module of the course and is a very nice step up from GCSE so there is not any additional knowledge you will need !!
Original post by evaristegalois
I have chose to do A Level Maths, as a course in Post 16 (I'm doing my GCSE tests next month :eek: ) because lets be honest Maths is a beautiful subject, when you delve into it.

Anyways back to the topic, I need help on what I should know, when I take my entry requirement test, so that I can do AS Level Maths. What kind of Algebra stuff do I need to know? Can you be detailed please, so that I know what I should go over, and what kind of stuff I should go over?

Thank you for your detailed~ness ahaha :colone: :colondollar::cool::biggrin::smile::tongue::wink::redface:

Entry requirement test?
I didn't do AS maths the traditional way(mostly self-studied), but I think the policy at ours' is to test people in the first week on factorising quadratics(they come in handy a lot in C1-2) and that's it. I didn't take the test so this is second-hand and may be slightly incorrect.

Yes, maths is awesome.
Reply 3

Not sure what you mean by an entry test?

Most schools/colleges will have a policy of setting a minimum grade in GCSE before allowing you to start A level, and will also test you at the beginning of Year 12 to see whether you have any weaknesses.

For the moment, concentrate on getting the best possible results in GCSE - ideally an A* - and make sure you have really good knowledge of algebra, indices and trigonometry. Also do some practice during the summer (but don't go overboard!) so that you don't forget everything :smile:

Here is the GCSE content you need to understand well:

Indices (including fractional and negative indices)
Surds
Collecting like terms
Solving linear equations
Expanding brackets
Factorising (including difference of two squares)
Substitution
Solving quadratic equations
Completing the square
Trigonometry of right angled triangles
The sine rule
The cosine rule
Area of a scalene triangle
Pythagoras' Theorem
Equation of a straight line
Drawing a graph from a table of values
Linear simultaneous equations
Quadratic simultaneous equations