The Student Room Group

Any ice hockey fans?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Olivia513
As a B's fan, good looks i see you lol gotta love the big man. Tuukka Rask is my favorite. Even named my dog Tuukka. I've always had a soft spot for tendies.

Heh that's awesome, man. :biggrin:

I'm from the US and ill be attending school in london in the fall and dont know the area or even the UK at all. Are there teams in the area? Any way to go to games? i need to get my fix for sure.

There's a British league. The skill level isn't great but it's better than nothing.

There's also a university ice hockey league if you play. Different levels for different skill levels right up from total beginners. Probably worth checking out if the university you're gonna go to has a team.
Original post by Sabertooth
Heh that's awesome, man. :biggrin:

There's a British league. The skill level isn't great but it's better than nothing.

There's also a university ice hockey league if you play. Different levels for different skill levels right up from total beginners. Probably worth checking out if the university you're gonna go to has a team.

I go to alot of NHL games but also alot of AHL ones too so im not worried about the skill level. Hockey is great regardless. Im at University of Westminster and I dont think they have one. I did a cursory search because i wasnt sure how popular hockey is in the UK if it was enough for them to have teams. If i can find any team in the area with games i can go to ill be happy.
I would say the nearest to Westminster area would be Bracknell or Guildford, however still a long trek. Probably better to go for an NIHL team as they'd be closer however worse in standard..
NIHL have Romford Raiders which is within the M25... that could be alright? Again at NIHL standards.. depends if you care about the standard of hockey or whether you just wanna go to see a fix...
Original post by zwatkins66
NIHL have Romford Raiders which is within the M25... that could be alright? Again at NIHL standards.. depends if you care about the standard of hockey or whether you just wanna go to see a fix...

I have my NHL gamecenter account to watch pro games but if theres a way for me to go out and attend a game every now and thats all i need.
Ahh, that makes sense
I dont mind going to games like that. Ive been to a few P Bruins games and worcester sharks games

I dont think you realise how poor the quality of hockey is we are talking about here lol. P Bruins are better than our best teams. Hamilton Bulldogs played Edinburgh in out top league and beat them by about 20 goals, were talking 3 leagues below that standard :/
I think hockey is quite fun to watch at lower levels. Slower players = more space, and the guys are good enough to not be embarrassing at least.
EPL was interesting to watch.. we used to have many donkeys that'll just fight for example Andre Payette. Only went to matches to fight, however he's gone down to NIHL now as he's old. Will be missed as he was so entertaining.
Original post by InaneRambler
I dont think you realise how poor the quality of hockey is we are talking about here lol. P Bruins are better than our best teams. Hamilton Bulldogs played Edinburgh in out top league and beat them by about 20 goals, were talking 3 leagues below that standard :/

Haha wow but still id go. When i say i love hockey you really have no idea how much of an understatement that is. Im from Boston so Im a bruins fan. I watch every game, go to every game i can, have jerseys and merch more than i know what to do with and im getting a tattoo soon with the logo. I even named my dog after Tuukka Rask. And thats just my passion for one team. I cant live without hockey so i probably wont mind going to those games lmao. Anyone who knows me knows my hockey obssession jts just who i am lol going to games is part of that lol hockey is always great to watch
(edited 8 years ago)
Quick question-in the uk, if a university says they have a hockey team but doesnt specify, please tell me they mean ice hockey and not like field hockey or something right?
Quick question-in the uk, if a university says they have a hockey team but doesnt specify, please tell me they mean ice hockey and not like field hockey or something right?

They mean field hockey.
Original post by SmashConcept
They mean field hockey.

Bummer.
Yea their are some universities with ice hockey teams. But a lot more have field hockey teams. I play ice hockey but my university doesn't have a team, so just play for local team.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lozzielizzie
Yea their are some universities with ice hockey teams. But a lot more have field hockey teams. I play ice hockey but my university doesn't have a team, so just play for local team.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont really play, i tried once but i was one of the only girls on a coed team and it just didnt work out. Im mostly just interested to watch
Well if you are interested they are a number of girls teams that play.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lozzielizzie
Well if you are interested they are a number of girls teams that play.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could take a look but ill prob pass. Ill only be there for the semester. I dont have all the equipment and even what i do have im not about to pack onto the plane. And i dont have enough money to go buying gear. Im fine being a spectator lol
Reply 58
Any Panthers fans? got to do a 3 day hockey camp with David Clarke & Evan Mosey. was amazng

Quick Reply

Latest