The Student Room Group

Aqa gcse english literature coursework

I am due to resit my unit 3 AQA GCSE English literature coursework in a few days, but as my teacher recently left I have no resources!

The question is 'Compare the ways human flaws and weaknesses are presented in Macbeth and Jekyll and Hyde'

So far, here are the quotes I have for each paragraph:
Ambition

Macbeth: when deciding to kill duncan 1) "i have no spur" and 2) "vaulting ambition" - I have analysed these.

JH: 1) "the temptation of a discovery so singular and profound at last overcame the suggestions of alarm" - not too sure what to say about this except for that 'temptation' could be liked to adam and eve.

2) "my evil kept awake by my ambition" - also not sure what to say except for my is a personal pronoun

obsession:

Macbeth: 1)"I'll fight till from my bones my flesh be hacked." and 2) Stars, hide your fires!
Let not light see my black and deep desires - have analysed these.

JH: 1) "ape like fury" have analysed

regret and guilt:

Macbeth: 1) "sleep no more! Macbeth doth murder sleep!" - have analysed

JH: I thought a quote showing he was guilty for murdering mr carew but i couldn't really find one where I had somehing to say about it.

EVEN if you havent studied the books, if anyone has any tips on analysing quotes, how to organise essays or how to include all the AO's it would be so helpful, as I need a good grade for sixth form!

Thank you for reading haha :smile:
Reply 1
1) Choose a suitable amount of themes (around 5,6,7 depending on how much you are going to write)
2) Use PEEL Paragraphs and extend them to emphasis the meaning of the given text
3) Use words like this highlights, emphasizes, illuminates, portrays, demonstrates etc
4) Join sentences by using Also, in addition, further etc. or just write the sentence and leave out the joining word
5) For intro give an overview and hint on the themes you are going to explore. In conclusion, answer the question illuminating the most important contributions to the specific themes

Example using your quote:
The author states, "the temptation of a discovery so singular and profound at last overcame the suggestions of alarm" highlighting the intense desire to experience the unknown and explore the mysterious side of their personality. This is similar to the way Adam and Eve were enticed to eat the apple from the tree in the Bible.

(I do not know the book this is just general, hope it helps)
Original post by Perol
1) Choose a suitable amount of themes (around 5,6,7 depending on how much you are going to write)
2) Use PEEL Paragraphs and extend them to emphasis the meaning of the given text
3) Use words like this highlights, emphasizes, illuminates, portrays, demonstrates etc
4) Join sentences by using Also, in addition, further etc. or just write the sentence and leave out the joining word
5) For intro give an overview and hint on the themes you are going to explore. In conclusion, answer the question illuminating the most important contributions to the specific themes

Example using your quote:
The author states, "the temptation of a discovery so singular and profound at last overcame the suggestions of alarm" highlighting the intense desire to experience the unknown and explore the mysterious side of their personality. This is similar to the way Adam and Eve were enticed to eat the apple from the tree in the Bible.

(I do not know the book this is just general, hope it helps)

Thank you very much for your advice!! Even if my analysis is awful this will make it more sophisticated haha, I got a C last time so the only way is up. Now to show my blonde side.. PEEL is Point Evidence Explain ...L? sorry haha:colondollar:
Reply 3
L is for Link back to the question :smile: Just think of creative ways to interpret the text. There are many you tube videos on line to help as well, good luck x
- What year are you in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending