The Student Room Group

I really hate uni and i think ive left it too late to do anything about it..

im in uni in my hometown but live in halls instead of home, and thats pretty much the only aspect ive enjoyed- the freedom.

I dont like my course, im lonely as i dont have any friends on my course or in halls and ive completely lost any motivation, and as a result ive began failing.
I have no idea what to do, as even if i could resit this year, i really dont want to but ive wasted so much time and money just for unhappiness and very bad anxiety, so that some days i cant even leave my room until i know there wont be anyone around halls.

I really dont know what to do, cant even bring myself to tell anyone, most of all my parents...
Reply 1
are you in first year?
Reply 2
yeah, and for a while i just convinced myself that itll probably be better next year and ill have another chance, but at this point dont think ill even get through or even if i want to.
i dropped out of uni when i was in my third year.
it's never too late.
Reply 4
What course do you do? It's possible to transfer to a slightly different course for your second year, I've seen this done countless times. There's no point doing a course you're not enjoying for the next 2 years since it's hard to concentrate and do well in something you don't particularly enjoy.

As for the social aspect, there's a lot of ways to meet lie minded people at uni. Have you tried joining societies or sports teams at all? These are great ways of making new friends.

I know a lot of people in your position and they found living in halls wasn't right for them since they were just homesick and it affected their academic work.
Reply 5
Original post by elinrjones
yeah, and for a while i just convinced myself that itll probably be better next year and ill have another chance, but at this point dont think ill even get through or even if i want to.

I get that. I'm in first year and i absolutely hate it, picked the wrong uni miles from home and couldn't manage to make friends. I'm moving back home to start at a new uni next year.
Do you like your course? If not you could consider changing it within the uni, loads of people do and uni staff are generally fairly understanding.
It's not too late to make friends, you can always go back to fresher's fair next year and do different groups to find people you like.
If you're in your hometown haven't a couple of your old friends stayed?
Reply 6
Original post by Kre
What course do you do? It's possible to transfer to a slightly different course for your second year, I've seen this done countless times. There's no point doing a course you're not enjoying for the next 2 years since it's hard to concentrate and do well in something you don't particularly enjoy.

As for the social aspect, there's a lot of ways to meet lie minded people at uni. Have you tried joining societies or sports teams at all? These are great ways of making new friends.

I know a lot of people in your position and they found living in halls wasn't right for them since they were just homesick and it affected their academic work.

Original post by Lwin
I get that. I'm in first year and i absolutely hate it, picked the wrong uni miles from home and couldn't manage to make friends. I'm moving back home to start at a new uni next year.
Do you like your course? If not you could consider changing it within the uni, loads of people do and uni staff are generally fairly understanding.
It's not too late to make friends, you can always go back to fresher's fair next year and do different groups to find people you like.
If you're in your hometown haven't a couple of your old friends stayed?

i do zoology, and i really dont like it, and i dont think ill be able to swap to do something else as im going to fail the year because i just couldnt make myself do any studying.

the thing is all the way through school art, design and history were my strongest subjects and what ive enjoyed, along with photography, but felt they would be a waste of time to study and such a change in direction probably isnt an option at this time in the year.

i see my family pretty much everyother week so i dont feel homesick at all, and the only reason i want to stay in the uni is to keep up with this system and not live at home.

i also did join quite a few societies and attended for about a month and a half but when i was still going to events on my own after all that time i just gave up and stayed in everynight. i just dont know how to make friends anymore, even though ill make an effort

(holy f, i must seem like such a winge to everyone!)
Reply 7
i do zoology, and i really dont like it, and i dont think ill be able to swap to do something else as im going to fail the year because i just couldnt make myself do any studying.

the thing is all the way through school art, design and history were my strongest subjects and what ive enjoyed, along with photography, but felt they would be a waste of time to study and such a change in direction probably isnt an option at this time in the year.

i see my family pretty much everyother week so i dont feel homesick at all, and the only reason i want to stay in the uni is to keep up with this system and not live at home.

i also did join quite a few societies and attended for about a month and a half but when i was still going to events on my own after all that time i just gave up and stayed in everynight. i just dont know how to make friends anymore, even though ill make an effort

(holy f, i must seem like such a winge to everyone!)

well first don't worry about sounding like a winge, you're looking for help which is fair enough.
Did you consider a degree in any of the three subjects? I can see how art and design might not be seen as career oriented subjects but history can lead on to further training in a lot of careers like law, consultancy, etc.
It seems like you're more of humanities student from the a levels so it makes sense that swapping to a more science based subject is going to be hard. Are there any aspects at all you like about the course?
Societies wise, well done for sticking it out so long I gave up after about three weeks! You could always try again next year with different ones or meeting new members of the societies you're already part of.

Honestly if the only thing you currently like about the uni is its location and you think you are going to fail academically, I would suggest going and talking to the university support staff and look at your options that way. If you're going to fail anyway, might as well try and get into a course you think you'll prefer no?
Change course to something you think you'd like more and move back home so you're not lonely anymore, best not to fail. Once you've graduated and get a job you can move out and have freedom for the rest of your life. You don't have to have independence all through uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Before exams in first year is probably the best time to drop out of uni, especially if there's a strong chance you'll fail. Don't feel like you've wasted the year either, as you've found something that isn't right for you and 1 year is better than 3/4 for that. If you drop out, you should still be ok for funding if you think of something else you want to do (assuming you haven't dropped out before) but don't be afraid to take a gap year to figure out what you really want.
Having a degree in something you hate can be worse than having no degree, as you won't get funding if you figure out what you really want to do after, and you'll spend a lot of time explaining to people why you don't want a job related to your degree.
im in uni in my hometown but live in halls instead of home, and thats pretty much the only aspect ive enjoyed- the freedom.

I dont like my course, im lonely as i dont have any friends on my course or in halls and ive completely lost any motivation, and as a result ive began failing.
I have no idea what to do, as even if i could resit this year, i really dont want to but ive wasted so much time and money just for unhappiness and very bad anxiety, so that some days i cant even leave my room until i know there wont be anyone around halls.

I really dont know what to do, cant even bring myself to tell anyone, most of all my parents...

I'd leave give it a couple of years get some money and then try again once your a little older and had some experiences be it travelling or working or both.

You'll be a little older and a little more mature not everyone is ready at 18 I wasn't ready until I was 21. good luck you still have 3 years of funding.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending