The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Your Birmingham experience

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by She-Ra
I'm not sure if that is true - if you go into the job zone (in the Guild) they'll be able to advise you https://www.guildofstudents.com/jsv/jobs/students/

I found them to be very flexible - bar work is obviously daytime and evening including weekends. I never worked set days but of course things may have changed. There are lots of other options aside from bar work though.

Definitely pop in to the job zone and have a chat - they will be able to help :h:

Thank you for the help and I will check that out :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
The main problem I have is that the campus is in a very suburban part of the city, so you don't really experience that 'big city' vibe despite being in one (which some people may prefer). It's not the nicest city either, if I'm being honest. The city itself is very much a 'party' place at night, but you can't really get to anywhere by foot and I think you're better off going somewhere like Bristol or Manchester if you want the convenience of a big-city lifestyle outside of London.

The campus is grand, but it can be quite intimidating and sometimes you get that feeling of being back at school again.

The student village Selly Oak isn't very nice either. It's alright most of the time, but it gets a bit rough after termtime once the students leave and the chavs come out.

But it's still worth going for the reputation alone. Although I'd be interested in knowing which league table ranks Birmingham higher than Bristol, since there are quite a few (Birmingham is a better university, but that doesn't seem to be a very unaminous verdict from what I've read). For actual graduate prospects (which is more important than 'prestige' anyway) it seems to be one of the very best in the country at the moment, at least according to The Complete University Guide if that's anything to go by.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm going to have to come to the defence of Birmingham here. I currently live in Selly Oak and haven't been back to where I grew up since the start of first year for any real length of time. It's certainly quieter during non term time but the thing about chavs I certainly haven't noticed.

In response to the stuff about being suburban it's best of both worlds because you get a lovely green campus but on that campus is a train station. Birmingham is one of the best connected cities in the world and I feel I can quite easily get the big city experience. I think the comparisons with other cities are also unfair, Birmingham gets a bad rep in the media it doesn't deserve.

Not trying to go on the offensive! It's just my city and my uni, I'm pretty proud to call it home
Reply 23
Original post by Benji17023
Hi, I am currently studying AS and have found a perfect course for me at Birmingham university. Having researched Birmingham, on the surface it looks great - beautiful campus, great position in the league tables (above Bristol!!) and is very close to the centre of the UK's second city. However, I know a couple people who are studying at Birmingham and are really not enjoying it. Obviously this is a small group of people, but I just wanted to know if this overall feeling of disappointment is felt by the masses of Brum students? I'm sure this type of thread has been posted before, but any responses would be greatly appreciated ...

birminghams a hole. I made the same choice as you. picked birmingham because of superior course. but so regret that decision.

what are your other choices?
Reply 24
Original post by guntby

The student village Selly Oak isn't very nice either. It's generally okay most of the time, but it gets a bit dodgy after term time as soon as the students leave and the chavs come out.

I'm from Manchester and the equivalent of Selly Oak which is Fallowfield isn't nice either - everything you've said about Selly Oak can be applied to Fallowfield and I think this goes for the vast majority of student areas all over the country. So it's not something that should put you off a university because they're all pretty much the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by goodwinning
I'm from Manchester and the equivalent of Selly Oak which is Fallowfield isn't nice either - everything you've said about Selly Oak can be applied to Fallowfield and I think this goes for the vast majority of student areas all over the country. So it's not something that should put you off a university because they're all pretty much the same.

Fair enough.

To be fair I haven't even visited the universities at Manchester or Bristol, so I'm not in a position to assume they're better. I'd just imagine preferring them myself because the university departments are dotted around the city centre rather than being squished into one campus a bus journey away, and that there'd be more variation in where students typically live outside of Halls, but I could be wrong.
Reply 26
Original post by Mick.w
birminghams a hole. I made the same choice as you. picked birmingham because of superior course. but so regret that decision.

what are your other choices?

I'm interested in hearing all the different perspectives of current students at Bham as I've not yet made up my mind of whether to go through adjustment.

What, in your experience, are some of the worst things about Bham uni and conversely what are the good points? And what course are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by guntby
Fair enough.

To be fair I haven't even visited the universities at Manchester or Bristol, so I'm not in a position to assume they're better. I'd just imagine preferring them myself because the university departments are dotted around the city centre rather than being squished into one campus a bus journey away, and that there'd be more variation in where students typically live outside of Halls, but I could be wrong.

Yeah everyone has different preferences so choosing a uni isn't a "one size fits all" so to speak. I originally planned on going to Manchester but I used to work as a lab tech there so witnessing firsthand what little contact time time and how the tutors don't really have time for you due to the sheer number of students there just isn't for me. Main selling points for Bham for me was that it's great for my course and the tutors seemed more engaging. I'm the type of student that tends to go in depth when discussing with tutors so I don't think I'd do as well on my course if the tutors didn't give the time of day.

Bear in mind Bristol and Manchester are two very different cities. Wish you well in wherever you end up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by goodwinning
I'm interested in hearing all the different perspectives of current students at Bham as I've not yet made up my mind of whether to go through adjustment.

What, in your experience, are some of the worst things about Bham uni and conversely what are the good points? And what course are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was doing photography. I thought initially from visits to birmingham that it was a cool place. but living there is totally different entirely.

the city lacks a lot of cohesion. like no one really knows whats going on there half the time. and i mean the locals mind you. like marilyn manson played there and like nobody knew. or like you'll ask someone for directions and they won't know anything about their own city.

its really not worthy of being called a second city. everything shuts down really early and for its size it lacks a lot of variety and stuff. if you want a big city outside of london try manchester. if you want cool and quirky art stuff try bristol.

like birminghams art culture really sucks. a long with local music scene. its not a very innovative or trend setting place.

and if you live pretty much anywhere other than south birmingham its all quite grim n grey.

the rent there is stupid. like the quality of housing and how much it costs is disgusting. in many parts of birmingham they don't have wheely bins so when its a bin day people just leave trash bags out on the street. which means that you should get used to the notion of having a rat problem.

the food variety in birmingham is ok but not what you'd expect from a big city.

the club scene in birmingham again is pretty bland. with all students spending their time between snobs and rainbow room. the arcadian is like a load of bars that are all the same that look good from the outside but are crap when you get in.

a few black night clubs if your into black music but even then thats pretty bad for a city with so many black people.

the main economic force driving birmingham is the asian community so really everything that isn't muslim related is kinda just not really as good as anywhere else. you have the odd place like mechu bar which is just... sad. its like their posh club but its like... so so so overrated.

then theres gate crasher. which if you want to dance to chart hits thats ur bag.

the travel theres pretty bad. you need a bus pass cuz they have this coin slot machine system. a lot of cities i've been to their buses all lead back to the city central bus station eventually so if you get on the wrong bus you can always go back to the city. but in birmingham theres buses that just skip the city centre and leave you ina random place.

the taxi drivers are pretty much your typical stereo type of an asian grooming gang guy. if your a girl it'll be a rarity if they don't try or say something sexually innapropriate and if your a guy and make conversation with them don't be suprised if they offer you drugs or prostitutes which (and here's the selling pitch) YOU DON"T EVEN HAVE TO RAPE THEM? so great prostitutes then...

birmingham is just a city that seems to just not really be good at anything. like its not awful at somethings. but its just not that good either.

bristol or leeds or london's night life is awesome.

and even places like leicester and hertfordshire have way better life styles cause the students have made the whole thing cater to them.

basically birmingham is just a slightly larger luton. but whereas luton has a sort of Southern sharpness that u might associate with londoners birmingham has none of that sharpness. the droning mooing local accent loses its charm quickly and will eventually start to turn you more stupid than you were before you moved there.

i had a choice between brum and bristol. i so regret not picking bristol.
Reply 29
Original post by Mick.w
I was doing photography. I thought initially from visits to birmingham that it was a cool place. but living there is totally different entirely.

the city lacks a lot of cohesion. like no one really knows whats going on there half the time. and i mean the locals mind you. like marilyn manson played there and like nobody knew. or like you'll ask someone for directions and they won't know anything about their own city.

its really not worthy of being called a second city. everything shuts down really early and for its size it lacks a lot of variety and stuff. if you want a big city outside of london try manchester. if you want cool and quirky art stuff try bristol.

like birminghams art culture really sucks. a long with local music scene. its not a very innovative or trend setting place.

and if you live pretty much anywhere other than south birmingham its all quite grim n grey.

the rent there is stupid. like the quality of housing and how much it costs is disgusting. in many parts of birmingham they don't have wheely bins so when its a bin day people just leave trash bags out on the street. which means that you should get used to the notion of having a rat problem.

the club scene in birmingham again is pretty bland. with all students spending their time between snobs and rainbow room. the arcadian is like a load of bars that are all the same that look good from the outside but are crap when you get in.

a few black night clubs if your into black music but even then thats pretty bad for a city with so many black people.

the main economic force driving birmingham is the asian community so really everything that isn't muslim related is kinda just not really as good as anywhere else. you have the odd place like mechu bar which is just... sad. its like their posh club but its like... so so so overrated.

then theres gate crasher. which if you want to dance to chart hits thats ur bag.

the travel theres pretty bad. you need a bus pass cuz they have this coin slot machine system. a lot of cities i've been to their buses all lead back to the city central bus station eventually so if you get on the wrong bus you can always go back to the city. but in birmingham theres buses that just skip the city centre and leave you ina random place.

the taxi drivers are pretty much your typical stereo type of an asian grooming gang guy. if your a girl it'll be a rarity if they don't try or say something sexually innapropriate and if your a guy and make conversation with them don't be suprised if they offer you drugs or prostitutes which (and here's the selling pitch) YOU DON"T EVEN HAVE TO RAPE THEM? so great prostitutes then...

birmingham is just a city that seems to just not really be good at anything. like its not awful at somethings. but its just not that good either.

and even places like leicester and hertfordshire have way better life styles cause the students have made the whole thing cater to them.

basically birmingham is just a slightly larger luton. but whereas luton has a sort of Southern sharpness that u might associate with londoners birmingham has none of that sharpness. the droning mooing local accent loses its charm quickly and will eventually start to turn you more stupid than you were before you moved there.

Ah, I see, you're more dissatisfied with the city itself not the actual university.

Personally, I don't particularly like any city in England after having lived abroad for a number of years. It's one of the reasons why I chose my course as it has a lot of opportunities for work abroad and I definitely don't plan on staying in Birmingham after I've graduated. I find Manchester so boring after coming back from my travels so I'm really not too bothered how Birmingham is as a city; I'm more concerned about the uni itself and my course because uni is just a stepping stone for me. But I suppose this is coming from the perspective of someone who has lived away from England for 7 years and done a lot of travelling and I'm 21 so I guess my mindset and priorities would be different from the average fresher.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mick.w

Metal x 2
Ska
Bhangra
Grime

Birmingham was at the forefront of all of those. In what way is it not a trendsetting place? FFS the ****ing mellotron was invented there.

You can add Tennis and the Football League to that as well. And The Lord of The Rings.

Maybe you just don't listen to anything other than **** Northern white guitar bands?

Curry capital of Europe and more Michelin restaurants than Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds combined.
Original post by Mick.w

I agree with most of that (although I've never had that with taxi drivers). I wish I knew all of this before coming to be honest. The accommodation for students in first year is pretty tight, especially The Vale which seems to get increasingly rah each year. Culturally Birmingham pales in comparison to other cities like Manchester, especially musically. There are of course lots of clubs but you're right, not a huge deal of variety between them (which is not a problem if you only listen to chart music). Gatecrasher is also one of the worst places I've been to.

I've also noticed that with the buses, it's so stupid that you need to pay the exact money in change (who decided that?). As a side note I often leave that bus journey from the centre to Selly Oak feeling utterly miserable afterwards (granted that is just one of several bus journeys). The actual 'city' part of Birmingham isn't as huge as I expected either. It's mostly suburbs and estates, which makes you think maybe Birmingham is a better place to settle in than to study at?

The student bar on The Guild is also a disappointment. It's fine during the day but it's usually completely dead at night and often closes before 11 (except for on Sports Night and for Fab). A bit strange considering how cheap the drinks are and that something like 30,000 students attend this university. You can't even smoke in the back bit outdoors anymore, which seems a bit unnecessary. We're not kids anymore.

But it is a good university and ultimately that's the main thing. Maybe not in the same league as Imperial/UCL/Durham (although not exactly far off) but seems to do better in league tables than a lot of other reputable big city universities (Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Southampton, Newcastle), if league tables are to be trusted.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by guntby
Culturally Birmingham pales in comparison to other cities like Manchester, especially musically.

No, just no, it is a myth that Manchester is a great music city. But you don't have the national broadcaster waxing lyrical over Birmingham music 24/7 until the message drip, drip, drips through.

Birmingham's music is worldwide. How many Manchester bands have had number 1 albums in America? Led Zep had six. Moody Blues had two, Fine Young Cannibals and Black Sabbath had one each. Steve Winwood had one as well. If you include bands with a Brummie in it then you can add Pink Floyd with four and Fleetwood Mac with three. How many Madchester bands did that? I think inventing Heavy Metal - a genre that has lasted the ages and has worldwide appeal - is more significant than five years of Madchester.

I haven't even mentioned Elgar either. Or our Reggae scene, Steel Pulse were the first outside of Jamaica to win a Grammy.
Original post by Wilfred Little
No, just no, it is a myth that Manchester is a great music city. But you don't have the national broadcaster waxing lyrical over Birmingham music 24/7 until the message drip, drip, drips through.

Birmingham's music is worldwide. How many Manchester bands have had number 1 albums in America? Led Zep had six. Moody Blues had two, Fine Young Cannibals and Black Sabbath had one each. Steve Winwood had one as well. If you include bands with a Brummie in it then you can add Pink Floyd with four and Fleetwood Mac with three. How many Madchester bands did that? I think inventing Heavy Metal - a genre that has lasted the ages and has worldwide appeal - is more significant than five years of Madchester.

I haven't even mentioned Elgar either. Or our Reggae scene, Steel Pulse were the first outside of Jamaica to win a Grammy.

Doesn't matter that they didn't have any number 1 albums in America, to me that's not a measure of how good something is. I prefer Joy Division/New Order/The Smiths/The Stone Roses (etc.) to most of those bands anyway. Also Led Zeppelin originated in London and I'm not sure any of their bandmembers are even from Birmingham.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by guntby
Doesn't matter that they didn't have any number 1 albums in America, to me that's not a measure of how good something is. I prefer Joy Division/New Order/The Smiths/The Stone Roses (etc.) to most of those bands anyway. Also Led Zeppelin originated in London and I'm pretty sure none of their bandmembers even lived in Birmingham.

No mate, I didn't say how 'good' it was, and what you prefer is what you prefer. You said we are lacking culturally in music. That is just wrong. Birmingham has had a bigger impact on music worldwide and that is a fact.

It would be like me saying I don't like any music from London therefore they are lacking culturally in music.

Bonham and Plant are Brummies, they are from the B postcode area, if you argue against this you can remove Joy Division and New Order from your Manchester argument. Two of Led Zep are southerners but when the lead singer and drummer are both from Brum and they started out playing in the Birmingham music scene I think it's safe to say we have a claim.
People who say the music scene in brum is **** clearly haven't ventured past broad street on a night out.

Gatecrasher on broad street is just a shiny ritzy nightclub trying to ride the wave from the original at republic in Sheffield. It's an insult to what crasher really was about, but is a sign of what happens when clubs get greedy. If you want a proper clubbing experience get yourself down somewhere in digbeth like the custard factory or to code for one of their nights.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by moonkatt
People who say the music scene in brum is **** clearly haven't ventured past broad street on a night out.

I am not trying to turn this into a race issue here, but it goes without saying, the negative perception of Brum has something to do with how multicultural we are. Look at the reputation of places like Leicester and Bradford for example.

This also applies to the music scene. If it's not white guitar music, it doesn't exist apparently.
Jesus, this thread has gone absolutely toxic.
If Birmingham is such a ****hole, why do over million people live there?
It can't be as bad as Belfast. That's why I reckon the city's fine.
Birmingham is a cold city, I have to confess. But it does have it's good parts, such as Bournville and Sutton Coldfield, to name a few. The university I quite liked the feel of when I visited, but it is very concrete, and not green enough for my liking.
Original post by Shane Webb
Jesus, this thread has gone absolutely toxic.
If Birmingham is such a ****hole, why do over million people live there?
It can't be as bad as Belfast. That's why I reckon the city's fine.

It happens every time this city is mentioned on here, but then that doesn't surprise me, it's a middle class white website. The little Englanders wade in with piss poor posts slating the city.

I have no issue with Belfast btw. Granddad is from there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending