The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Your Birmingham experience

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Novelist
Birmingham is a cold city, I have to confess. But it does have it's good parts, such as Bournville and Sutton Coldfield, to name a few. The university I quite liked the feel of when I visited, but it is very concrete, and not green enough for my liking.

****ing hell.

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/apr/03/birmingham-san-francisco-oslo-global-green-biophilic-cities-club

Yeah, not green enough.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

The university, not the City.
I want to go to B'ham to do ChemENG =P It looks similar to Bradford as a city, but larger..
Original post by Wilfred Little
I am not trying to turn this into a race issue here, but it goes without saying, the negative perception of Brum has something to do with how multicultural we are. Look at the reputation of places like Leicester and Bradford for example.

This also applies to the music scene. If it's not white guitar music, it doesn't exist apparently.

My issue with Birmingham has nothing to do wiih multiculturalism. I've got on well with most people I've met in Birmingham and I like it as a community. I just don't find it very attractive as a place, that's all. Most UK cities aren't for the most part, including where I'm from, but there's something about Birmingham in particular that fills me with feelings of doom. Maybe I'm a bit of a wuss, but it's probably because I personally had a rotten time at uni and I mentally associate the more austere parts of the city with the 3 years of disappointment and social isolation I had there, but I like the community very much.

To be honest I don't know a lot about the music scene from Birmingham, all I really know is that heavy-metal pioneers Black Sabbath originated there. That doesn't mean I'm not interested in other genres, I'm just more familiar with the post-punk/indie of Manchester and the trip-hop of Bristol (for instance). I'm not denying the Birmingham music scene's cultural significance, and I'll admit what I said earlier might sound like that. I just happen to think it's 2nd tier compared to some other cities.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by guntby
My issue with Birmingham has nothing to do wiih multiculturalism. I've got on well with most people I've met in Birmingham and I like it as a community. I just don't find it very attractive as a place, that's all. Most UK cities aren't for the most part, including where I'm from, but there's something about Birmingham in particular that fills me with dread. It's probably because I personally had a rotten time at uni and I mentally associate my commute to the campus with 3 years of disappointment and social isolation, but I like the community very much.

That's your own problem. Nothing to do with our city.

To be honest I don't know a lot about the music scene from Birmingham, all I really know is that heavy-metal pioneers Black Sabbath originated there. That doesn't mean I'm not interested in other genres, I'm just more familiar with the post-punk/indie of Manchester and the trip-hop of Bristol (for instance). I'm not denying the Birmingham music scene's cultural significance, and I'll admit what I said earlier might sound like that. I just happen to think it's 2nd tier compared to some other cities.

Most don't, and it goes back to what I said before about the national broadcaster. Best music city? Well it's Manchester innit. And I know this because I hear it on 6 Music. Every. ****ing. Day.

It isn't 2nd tier compared to other UK cities. There is no debate to be had regarding Birmingham's musical output and Manchester's.

Try some Steel Pulse - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ6fcv5Ixxc
(edited 8 years ago)
It happens every time this city is mentioned on here, but then that doesn't surprise me, it's a middle class white website. The little Englanders wade in with piss poor posts slating the city.

I have no issue with Belfast btw. Granddad is from there.

Personally I wouldn't care if you insulted my home city. It's not a big deal, it's just a place I don't happen to find very attractive. You shouldn't take too much pride from the city you come from because if you do, you're the Little Englander.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by goodwinning
Ah, I see, you're more dissatisfied with the city itself not the actual university.

Personally, I don't particularly like any city in England after having lived abroad for a number of years. It's one of the reasons why I chose my course as it has a lot of opportunities for work abroad and I definitely don't plan on staying in Birmingham after I've graduated. I find Manchester so boring after coming back from my travels so I'm really not too bothered how Birmingham is as a city; I'm more concerned about the uni itself and my course because uni is just a stepping stone for me. But I suppose this is coming from the perspective of someone who has lived away from England for 7 years and done a lot of travelling and I'm 21 so I guess my mindset and priorities would be different from the average fresher.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had the same pragmatic approach. but trust me. the city will make a difference on your every day life.

living a nice lifestyle in a nice place makes up for a bad job or a bad course.

i didn't go to Birmingham uni so i can't say how it is. i have heard dissatisfaction from the people i've met goin/went there.
Original post by guntby
Personally I wouldn't care if you insulted my home city. It's not a big deal, it's just a place I don't happen to find very attractive. You shouldn't take too much pride from the city you come from and if you do, you're the Little Englander.

Not really, only so many times you can read "Birmingham is a ****hole" or people slagging off the music scene when it is not correct before it pisses you off. I actually saw someone post on here that there are not that many famous bands from Birmingham. That is actually ridiculous. People are saying that because they simply aren't aware. You admitted that yourself.

I don't know a lot about the music scene from Birmingham, all I really know is that heavy-metal pioneers Black Sabbath originated there. That doesn't mean I'm not interested in other genres, I'm just more familiar with the post-punk/indie of Manchester

You did not counter any of my points either. Nor has the lad I originally quoted.

I love where I come from and there is nothing wrong with that. Birmingham has it's faults but I will correct people when they post rubbish.
That's your own problem. Nothing to do with our city.

Most don't, and it goes back to what I said before about the national broadcaster. Best music city? Well it's Manchester innit. And I know this because I hear it on 6 Music. Every. ****ing. Day.

It isn't 2nd tier compared to other UK cities. There is no debate to be had regarding Birmingham's musical output and Manchester's.

Try some Steel Pulse - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ6fcv5Ixxc

I understand your frustration and I agree that Manchester is probably a washed-up landfill full of poor Smiths-imitation bands now (or not? I don't know), but it just so happens that no band from Birmingham has written an album as good as The Queen Is Dead.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm more interested to know about the university . . .
Reply 50
Metal x 2
Ska
Bhangra
Grime

Birmingham was at the forefront of all of those. In what way is it not a trendsetting place? FFS the ****ing mellotron was invented there.

You can add Tennis and the Football League to that as well. And The Lord of The Rings.

Maybe you just don't listen to anything other than **** Northern white guitar bands?

Curry capital of Europe and more Michelin restaurants than Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds combined.

Metal. its not popping there. scruffy murphy's... then what. its a nice pub. that's it.
the fact that the marlin manson concert wasn't even close to being half full just shows what im talking about.
and then the gigs i have been to have been sooooo dead. like brummy has the worst mosh pits.

i went to the dubstep awards back wen they were on in brum and the were so dead. the moshpits got closed down so soon cuz bouncers kept chuking people out. n the people moshing probably weren't even from brum anyway hence the lack of understanding.

n kerrangs radio there shut down.

hardley saw any ska in brum. when i did see it it was usually supporting something else inappropriate.

bhangra.... probably. but erm. im not bothered personally.

grime. brummy grime is awful. no originality. its taken sooooo long from brum to catch up and drop the whole acting american thing.
then the whole bassline thing was more a northern thing but they adopted that first over grime.

only now that grimes largely got dropped by everyone are brummies catching up with it.

black brummy culture is always behind.

london had grime up north had bassline and meanwhile brummies were still tryna put on american accents with their raps.

brums music scene is like from ozzy osbournes n ub40's time. since then its dead.

name a music brand that is not asian and i'll tell you a better city to go to for it.

curry capital yet it sucks for curry. like there's literally like 4 good curry places and they are over charged anyway.

i memba reading a review from a food critic from brum admiting its curry was awful considering how asian it is there.

its literally like chinese food most of the time. its just pick your meat pick your sauce then ur sides.

as for the more mitchellin stars then all those cities combined im not sure about that. i can't vouch for it but if you have a reference feel free to pass it on. but it don't sound right to me.
Original post by guntby
I understand your frustration and I agree that Manchester is probably a washed-up landfill full of poor Smiths-imitation bands now, but it just so happens that no band from Birmingham has written an album as good as The Queen Is Dead.

Paranoid & Black Sabbath certainly are better. They invented a worldwide genre. Basically every metal band will acknowledge that as well.

Led Zep 1, 2, 3, 4 and Physical Graffiti?

Oh and this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Days_of_Future_Passed
Original post by Mick.w
as for the more mitchellin stars then all those cities combined im not sure about that. i can't vouch for it but if you have a reference feel free to pass it on. but it don't sound right to me.

I am not going to read your piss poor post in full. Be succinct and write properly.

As for this bit though:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/birmingham-retains-four-michelin-stars-7829508

Facts mate.
Paranoid & Black Sabbath certainly are better. They invented a worldwide genre. Basically every metal band will acknowledge that as well.

Led Zep 1, 2, 3, 4 and Physical Graffiti?

Oh and this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Days_of_Future_Passed

Physical Graffiti is a very good album, I'll give you that. But it wasn't recorded in Birmingham, it can't be assumed that its brilliance is because of an impact Birmingham as a place had on the bandmembers, and half of the bandmembers aren't even from Birmingham :s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 54
No, just no, it is a myth that Manchester is a great music city. But you don't have the national broadcaster waxing lyrical over Birmingham music 24/7 until the message drip, drip, drips through.

Birmingham's music is worldwide. How many Manchester bands have had number 1 albums in America? Led Zep had six. Moody Blues had two, Fine Young Cannibals and Black Sabbath had one each. Steve Winwood had one as well. If you include bands with a Brummie in it then you can add Pink Floyd with four and Fleetwood Mac with three. How many Madchester bands did that? I think inventing Heavy Metal - a genre that has lasted the ages and has worldwide appeal - is more significant than five years of Madchester.

I haven't even mentioned Elgar either. Or our Reggae scene, Steel Pulse were the first outside of Jamaica to win a Grammy.

if only we could visit brummy back in the 80s when it had this. since then tho....
It happens every time this city is mentioned on here, but then that doesn't surprise me, it's a middle class white website. The little Englanders wade in with piss poor posts slating the city.

I have no issue with Belfast btw. Granddad is from there.

Yeah, you're right about.
I love how all these people spend paragraphs and paragraphs bashing Birmingham, then open another statement by saying "Manchester is so much better because...."
Really? They are like a 2 hour drive apart and giant cities. I highly doubt one is exempt from the problems of the other.
Original post by guntby
Physical Graffiti is a very good album, I'll give you that. But it wasn't recorded in Birmingham, it isn't lyrically or musically stunning because of the impact Birmingham as a place had on the bandmembers, and half of the bandmembers aren't even from Birmingham :s-smilie:

You ignored the rest of my post. Half of the band members are from Birmingham.

Original post by Mick.w
if only we could visit brummy back in the 80s when it had this. since then tho....

There isn't a single Manchester act that has had the impact of The Streets post 2000. Most of what I posted wasn't even in the 80s as well.

If they let you into uni then they are letting anyone in.
You ignored the rest of my post. Half of the band members are from Birmingham.

Yes, which must mean that half of the bandmembers are not from Birmingham. That's what I was acknowledging.

I'm not into Black Sabbath. I can't stand heavy-metal. But yes, they are albums of high critical acclaim and kudos to them for kickstarting (or being a cog in) the marmite of all genres.
(edited 8 years ago)
Please talk about the university!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 59
I am not going to read your piss poor post in full. Be succinct and write properly.

As for this bit though:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/birmingham-retains-four-michelin-stars-7829508

Facts mate.

your not going to read the post? sounds like a towel being thrown in.

no curry restaurants... not surprised.

I've eaten at most of those places and they were damn good tbf. but really thats due to the fact that it was a tasting menu with like 6-8 courses.
which is, including wine. like almost 200 a person.

not something you can affored all the time.

however when you eat just a standard 3 course. i have to say manchester, leeds and britsol to a great job.

in fact the nicest curry i had was in bristol.

but i did give it to brum that it had good places to eat. if you had the money.

but theres no like. cool family run italian places. i was looking for one for aaaages. couldn't find it. i mean che juelz was french and i made do with that but even thats shut down now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending