The Student Room Group

Job satisfaction vs career...

Right, this is going to seem crazy to some of you reading but hear me out, looks long but it kinda simple.

I got my second proper job (at the age of 21, after doing A-Levels etc...) last month, p/t at Laser Quest, which is--literally--an ideal job for me, which is especially significant given that I've been unemployed for the best part of 18 months, and that despite the qualis coming out of my ears I had no idea what I wanted to do in life really.

But being a jobseeker I still had to sign on, and applied for an Admin Asst job at the DWP with the Jobcentre, and to my surprise I've now got an interview for this job, which probably were I to get, I'd have to give up the p/t at LQ to survive in. Obv Civil Service work is incredibly good for career prospects etc, but this is where it gets complex.

I've done admin work before, albeit unsociable hours and before my depression was being treated, but suffice it to say I wasn't setting the world alight with my productivity. Anyways, if I were offered this DWP job, and assuming I couldn't keep LQ as well, what should I do? I know that I could happily work at LQ for years and not have problems (too many people are obsessed with 'bettering yourself' and having bags of money, when you've lived my life that's a load of crap and happiness is more important to me), but given the nature of the work should I then accept the DWP job even if it would make me far less happy?

Any opinions, and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Does anyone want to reply at all?
Reply 2
The-Lennon
hmm theyre both pretty crap jobs. Do something else

lol lennon.

If i had to choose, it would have to be the job with most prospects.
Reply 3
Do what makes you happy

I was going to do accountancy until I realised how bored I would be doing that for the rest of my life so now Im only thinking of jobs that I would really enjoy.

Ive changed my mindset from thinking about the money to what would give me real job satisfaction.:biggrin:
Reply 4
From what little you've said you aren't doing enough hours at laser quest to get off JSA - that means if you get offered the job at the job centre and you refuse then your benefit will be stopped.

However you may be able to arrange hours to work at Laser Quest as well.

The job isn't that bad (I stuck it for several years, it was only meant to be a summer job)
Reply 5
Okay I should perhaps clarify that point :smile: Atm I'm over JSA signing off amount, this may change but I can't be sure; for the purpose of this thread assume that I'm doing enough hours, and that the JSA people have no bearing on my decision regarding forced acceptance of job.
Reply 6
If you can survive on either amount - go with what will make you happy.

If you can only survive on one then go for that.

What sort of hours do you do at Laser Quest? All the jobcentres I've worked at have been flexi time so if you don't startat the other till after 4 then you could probably work it - I think we had to do till 5 every so often on a rota to ensure coverage but majority of staff can leave after 4. If you, for example did 3 nights a week at Laser Quest and offers to do your 'late' nights on the others most colleagues wouldn't have a problem with it
Reply 7
Atm I'm 12-4 Saturdays and probably going to be similar on Sundays, then the rest of the week it's likely to be a couple of days 11-9 quite often as it's more cover for others during the week, this is why I ain't sure if I'd be able to hold both jobs.

Latest

Trending

Trending