The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scandinavian Studies at Edinburgh 2015

Original post by SarahLund
I really like Abbeyhill and Deaconess too I reckon I'll be applying for the same :smile:

Cool :smile: What course have you applied for?
Original post by a320airbus97
Cool :smile: What course have you applied for?

Scandinavian Studies and Linguistics but I'm still deciding whether to do Danish or Swedish :biggrin:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Scandinavian Studies and Linguistics but I'm still deciding whether to do Danish or Swedish :biggrin:

Jag talar lite svenska: det är ett vackert språk :smile:
If I were you I would choose Swedish as there are more speakers, and it sounds beautiful. I've spent a few months studying Swedish using online resources and study books (~2 hours a week) and it's really enjoyable.
Danish would also be cool to learn, but apparently it can be quite hard to pronounce.
Why not Norwegian?
Jag talar lite svenska: det är ett vackert språk :smile:
If I were you I would choose Swedish as there are more speakers, and it sounds beautiful. I've spent a few months studying Swedish using online resources and study books (~2 hours a week) and it's really enjoyable.
Danish would also be cool to learn, but apparently it can be quite hard to pronounce.
Why not Norwegian?

Oh wow! I thought about beginning to learn one of the languages but I'm still so indecisive. I like the sound of both Swedish and Danish, but yeah Danish pronunciation is pretty difficult.

I've heard Norwegian grammar is quite complex so that put me off a little bit. That said, I do love grammar (why I'm doing Linguistics!). Also, they didn't run that language last year because not many people choose it so I kind of thought it would be the same this year.
Oh wow! I thought about beginning to learn one of the languages but I'm still so indecisive. I like the sound of both Swedish and Danish, but yeah Danish pronunciation is pretty difficult.

I've heard Norwegian grammar is quite complex so that put me off a little bit. That said, I do love grammar (why I'm doing Linguistics!). Also, they didn't run that language last year because not many people choose it so I kind of thought it would be the same this year.

Even though I'm going to study mathematics, I've studied a lot of languages and Swedish since primary school (I'm Finnish). I personally don't like the sound of Danish. In my opinion, Swedish grammar is VERY simple, compared to French or English, for example. And I like the language so I'd recommend Swedish. :smile:
Original post by wonko-the-sane
Even though I'm going to study mathematics, I've studied a lot of languages and Swedish since primary school (I'm Finnish). I personally don't like the sound of Danish. In my opinion, Swedish grammar is VERY simple, compared to French or English, for example. And I like the language so I'd recommend Swedish. :smile:

Oh cool! Yeah I was leaning slightly more towards Swedish too. The grammar would make my life easier too :smile:

There is a website (and app) called duolingo. It's a free language learning platform and has both Danish and Swedish (Norwegian is coming soon): it's quite basic (most of the sentences are 'I am a man' 'the Apple is red' etc, especially in the earlier lessons, but it does go more in depth as you progress). I use it to improve my French (I dropped it after AS Level): you should sign up and give it a go. If you use it to learn the basics of both Danish and Swedish, it may help you decide which language you wish to pursue at university.:smile:
As wonko-the-sane mentions, Swedish grammar is really easy and quite a lot of words are similar to English.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7

I'm a fluent Swede. It's very straightforward to have conversations with Norwegians if they are from Oslo, as the dialect is very similar. They sometimes have the words in a different order and occasionally there is confusion because of a word that isn't shared but 95% of the time there's no problems. Norwegian from the far north is a different matter xD -- I have only met one or two but I'd imagine perhaps it is like Danish where after you have a while to 'tune in' you can get the gist of what is being said. Danish is undoubtedly further from Swedish though and personally I think it sounds quite strange too.

My blind patriotism leads me to recommend Swedish but I suppose all I wanted to say is that if you have a good understanding of written Swedish you will quickly find yourself having a good understanding of Norwegian too.
There is a website (and app) called duolingo. It's a free language learning platform and has both Danish and Swedish (Norwegian is coming soon): it's quite basic (most of the sentences are 'I am a man' 'the Apple is red' etc, especially in the earlier lessons, but it does go more in depth as you progress). I use it to improve my French (I dropped it after AS Level): you should sign up and give it a go. If you use it to learn the basics of both Danish and Swedish, it may help you decide which language you wish to pursue at university.:smile:
As wonko-the-sane mentions, Swedish grammar is really easy and quite a lot of words are similar to English.

Thanks I'll check it out. Yeah I noticed the similar words, it's actually something I've been looking into for Linguistics and put on my personal statement funnily enough!
Original post by Thorsas
I'm a fluent Swede. It's very straightforward to have conversations with Norwegians if they are from Oslo, as the dialect is very similar. They sometimes have the words in a different order and occasionally there is confusion because of a word that isn't shared but 95% of the time there's no problems. Norwegian from the far north is a different matter xD -- I have only met one or two but I'd imagine perhaps it is like Danish where after you have a while to 'tune in' you can get the gist of what is being said. Danish is undoubtedly further from Swedish though and personally I think it sounds quite strange too.

My blind patriotism leads me to recommend Swedish but I suppose all I wanted to say is that if you have a good understanding of written Swedish you will quickly find yourself having a good understanding of Norwegian too.

Really? That's quite helpful actually. Haha it might be Swedish then! :biggrin:
Reply 10
Really? That's quite helpful actually. Haha it might be Swedish then! :biggrin:

The only thing that really confused me one time was me and a Norwegian dude were having a conversation about family and he said "far din" ('father yours') whereas in Swedish it'd just be "din far". But I wasn't thinking right or he spoke too fast for me and I just thought it was a completely different word xD -- then later I was like OHHHHH, and once you've heard it once you never make the mistake again.

Sometimes Norwegians are interviewed on Swedish chat shows and they tend to just speak Norwegian, though I assume they are careful to avoid sentence structures or words that'd be confusing.
Original post by Thorsas
The only thing that really confused me one time was me and a Norwegian dude were having a conversation about family and he said "far din" ('father yours') whereas in Swedish it'd just be "din far". But I wasn't thinking right or he spoke too fast for me and I just thought it was a completely different word xD -- then later I was like OHHHHH, and once you've heard it once you never make the mistake again.

Sometimes Norwegians are interviewed on Swedish chat shows and they tend to just speak Norwegian, though I assume they are careful to avoid sentence structures or words that'd be confusing.

haha so there is quite good mutual intelligibility with the languages then!

Norwegian grammar isn't especially more difficult than Danish or Swedish. I should add that Norwegian did run this year (and does every year) - there's 30 people in this year's first year group.
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Norwegian grammar isn't especially more difficult than Danish or Swedish. I should add that Norwegian did run this year (and does every year) - there's 30 people in this year's first year group.

really? I thought I saw it on the website. Must have misread it :colondollar: that's interesting, I have that to consider too now!
I think the most difficult thing about Danish is the pronunciation and a bit of the grammar can be difficult. I'm Danish and I would say the pronunciation is probably the hardest for foreigners. However, the words itself will not be too difficult because it is very similar to english. And Danish doesn't sound wierd! It's awesome haha :b If you get to learn Danish you'll most likely also be able to understand both written and spoken Norwegian (bokmål is easier than nynorsk, but both are understandable for a Danish speaker.) Swedish is more difficult, I think. But not impossible - it is by far the easier to understand written Swedish rather than spoken - it just sounds really wierd to be honest. But if I concentrate I can understand lol.

I do think that from an English speakers perspective that Danish is easier to learn than Swedish or Norwegian because its closer connected. Danes find it easy to learn English and I read somewhere once that a research said that Danes were the best English speakers on average among non-first language speakers (if that makes sense). I think it's due to some cultural thing but also because it's so similar. Therefore, I also think it should be the same the other way around...

Anyway, in the end I think it's going to be individual whether you prefer one over the other.
Hello!
Norwegian exchange student coming over for a year of Scandinavian studies in September. I currently study Scandinavian at the University of Oslo.

I am a little disappointed at the amount of courses to choose from for an exchange student. I have not yet completed two years at my uni, so I am not qualified for third or fourth year courses, even though it obviously would not be difficult, having one and a half years of Scandinavian in uni, being a native in the language and growing up with the culture.
Studying any of the languages would be useless, so there is not a lot left to choose from. My uni expects two of my courses to be relevant to my degree in Norway, and this is my main problem.

On the other hand, I've got 40 points (80 Edinburgh points) I can do whatever I want with, so Gaelic, here we go!

Yet to receive my offer from Edinburgh though, but I've heard from both of the universities that all of the Norwegian exchange students are automatically accepted, no questions asked. Still, it will be a relief when I finally get that offer.

By the way. Choose Norwegian, guys! :biggrin: Wonderful language! Or I'd go for Swedish. Pretty much because it would be easier to communicate with a larger group of people. Plenty of Swedish people here in Oslo, so we're used to hearing it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending