The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Did you use Weatherill's book for EU, it was our recommended text book - we complained so much the law school scrapped it.
Lewisy-boy
Did you use Weatherill's book for EU, it was our recommended text book - we complained so much the law school scrapped it.

I know this isn't directed at me but since it was mentioned in this thread, I checked my module handbook and it is a recommended textbook in my uni at least
Lewisy-boy

Why?

I was thinking cost but this is Nottingham University. Daddy covers everything.
Because it's a terrible book, I haven't spoken to one person who actually liked it. Just full of extracts and stuff which really weren't very good. I had a quick glance at that Craig and de Burca one which was the old recommended and it was way better, but they went for an even newer one this year. It annoys me when they do this: not only have my year been used as guinea pigs for new books loads, but then they scrap it as the recommended so we can't flog them on to the year below and screw them :frown:.

Daddy most certainly pays nothing for me, btw.
Craig and De Burca is quite good but it's a bit out of date now, think it's 2000 the only good one I've come across is John Fairhurst 2006 European Union book
Reply 45
Pretty Boy Floyd
Why?

I was thinking cost but this is Nottingham University. Daddy covers everything.

Unfortunately law appears to be full of people with daddies who cover everything. im struggling to afford the flipping set books!
Lol, there's a girl in my year whose dad is worldwide managhing partner at A&O - textbook example!
Reply 47
I feel very poor when i talk to people on my course lol. Ah well. Money isn't everything... well... so i hear lol
I feel terribly poor when I talk to about 95% of people at uni!
ha thats how ill feel 2. oh well, we'll all be self made men lol which feels quite good. btw lewisy boy, u no u told us about your part time jobs in 6th form. how did u actually raise enough cash to support uself at uni. advice needed please.
Ermm well I've always been a saver rather than a spender, so I had saved vast amounts through birthdays and the like already... then I worked 20 hours a week during upper sixth (I was a year ahead - so not old enough to work in lower sixth properly) and then really worked loads in the holidays. Then last summer I worked so so much in bars I almost killed myself.

But, to be honest, the main trick as to how I do it involves my bar management position. Although it was voluntary: after term 1 of uni I hardly paid for a drink (Except when I went out afterward, but I would ensure I was already at a suitable level and just had to keep topping myself up with drinks on a rare basis), that's nearly 2 whole years of no drinks bought out my own pocket and I still spent all my loan! Living off just a loan must be tough.
wat jobs u do outta interest?
During sixth form it was just a 5 quid an hour supermarket job.
I bought a few shares in O2 when it kicked off when I was 19 (used to be called BT cellnet), that keeps me going :wink: . Its not much but a little cheque here and there really helps pay for food.

I think working is great for self-esteem. I guess money does not always make people happy, sometimes it helps them rot away in their own world. Sorry I am thinking of a story I read
LauraWalker
I bought a few shares in O2 when it kicked off when I was 19 (used to be called BT cellnet), that keeps me going :wink: . Its not much but a little cheque here and there really helps pay for food.

I think working is great for self-esteem. I guess money does not always make people happy, sometimes it helps them rot away in their own world. Sorry I am thinking of a story I read

Asceticism is the key whilst in education, methinks.
Well they do say asceticism is the key to higher levels of spirituality- spirituality being particularily helpful when learning about Captial Gains Tax on your BCL. The spirit of learning how to give to a greater cause later in life, i.e the tax man. We bless you
Lewisy-boy

I've heard of an additional good book for EU Law, have you CWTF?
Just had to look that word up - was there any real need to use such a word? Either I'm ignorant and it's common, or you are one of these people who gets a kick out of using pointless long words whenever possible :wink:.
Again, just like Ethereals words, I would not use them when shopping in Tesco
Lewisy-boy
Just had to look that word up - was there any real need to use such a word? Either I'm ignorant and it's common, or you are one of these people who gets a kick out of using pointless long words whenever possible :wink:.

This is an academic forum. I use academic terms when I wish to articulate myself in one word instead of a sentence.

Either I'm ignorant and it's common, or you are one of these people who gets a kick out of using pointless long words whenever possible :wink:.

Or...maybe you just aren't as 'knowledgeable' as you think you are. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending