The Student Room Group

would you give 16-17year olds the vote???

Yes or no

Approximately that is about 4800000
In UK England Scotland Wales
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
no
Not a chance.

The vast majority are too simply too immature and don't have enough life experience to make an informed vote.

(And TSR does not represent the nations 16-17 year old population.)
Reply 3
Even the 18/19 year olds who are able to vote this year either don't want to (due to a lack of knowledge) or plan to vote for a party just for the sake of 'banter'. 16/17 year olds will be too easily influenced by the decisions of others due to being ill informed.
No, I had nowhere near enough life-experience or maturity to vote at 18, let alone 16. Obviously the maturity factor will not apply to everyone, but at 24 I feel like this is the first election where my vote is reasoned. Keep the voting age at 18.
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Not a chance.

The vast majority are too simply too immature and don't have enough life experience to make an informed vote.

This exactly

(would rep if I could)
God, no. When I was 16, I was dumb as ****. Most 16 year olds are.
Hell to the no.
For the majority of 16-17 year olds, I don't think many are that interested in it, nor do they know much about it. Why would you give the vote to disinterested 16-17 year olds when only a minority are campaigning for it? You'd end up with one, most likely a bad turnout and 2, an ill informed decision.
Definitely not. I'm 16 and the majority of the people I know are 16...the majority of those people are idiots.
Government thinks 16-year olds are responsible enough to parent a child, 17yo's to drive a potentially life-endangering vehicle.

but not to vote, lmao.

The view they won't vote seriously or aren't informed enough says something about our education system more than anything
I do agree with giving young people votes, but education needs to be better. As I said in a similar thread yesterday:
There are educational issues. The primary education system and the secondary education system would have to be completely scrapped and replaced with an education system that actually teaches students.
Also, politics should be taught in schools. I know it is commonly available at A-level, but students should be taught a reasonable amount about politics up to year 11 without having to take an extra A-level.
Thom Yorke described Spotify in relation to the music industry as "the last desperate fart of a dying corpse".

I think that quote would apply equally to giving the vote to that age group, politics is already in terminal decline and has been for a while, this would just be one last desperate way to bolster voter numbers to make politics appear legitimate.
No
No because Labour will win.
No. I am 16 and I can just look at the people around me to say a definite wholehearted 'NO'! Some of my classmates think UKIP are great because the seem edgy and do it for 'banter'.
No because majority are as dumb as ****. They simply havent grown up by that point
No because I am 17, and lets just say, I don't really know much about politics apart from the little I learnt from GCSE History.

:redface:
Reply 18
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Not a chance.

I don't want them to either. And I calculated the estimate myself, if someone knows the figure let us know
Reply 19
No.....im 17 but I have to say a lot of 16/17 year olds don't know enough to vote.....it'd be a joke to most of us

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending