The Student Room Group

should there be less gender equality?? feminism??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ngb9320
No we need feminism.

Where would society be without it. Women would be in the kitchen 24/7 anyway that's for sure

No not really, I know plenty females who managed on their own without being stuck in the house all day and who also got partners but were not feminists Constantly complaining about howSociety treats woman. There are plenty of woman who don't victimize themselves and it should be like that.
Reply 21
Original post by ilem
Did you even understand what I said? I specifically said that some men, myself included, have no interest in being the typical masculine man and 'acting like men'.

Yes I did. I am saying guys should act how they want... There shouldn't be laws moulding how they should act. I am talking about straight men.
Reply 22
Original post by Alumna
Yes I did. I am saying guys should act how they want... There shouldn't be laws moulding how they should act. I am talking about straight men.

I am talking about straight men too. You're not saying guys should act how they want; you're saying guys should act how they want if that corresponds with what you consider to be acceptable behaviour for men.
Reply 23
Original post by ilem
I am talking about straight men too. You're not saying guys should act how they want; you're saying guys should act how they want if that corresponds with what you consider to be acceptable behaviour for men.

No I am not. You don't understand what I am saying, you are trying to make a debate over how a guy should act. My point is that they should act how they want WITHOUT laws moulding them BASED on t feminists views. I know what I mean, you just don't. when I gave my opinion on what I like in a guy that was my opinion, my point was not that there needs to be a law to make all men masculine... Even if you wanna act feminist and I may not like it, I don't care. But if a legislation is shaping males behavior, then it is worrying.
Reply 24
Original post by Alumna
No I am not. You don't understand what I am saying, you are trying to make a debate over how a guy should act. My point is that they should act how they want WITHOUT laws moulding them BASED on t feminists views. I know what I mean, you just don't. when I gave my opinion on what I like in a guy that was my opinion, my point was not that there needs to be a law to make all men masculine... Even if you wanna act feminist and I may not like it, I don't care. But if a legislation is shaping males behavior, then it is worrying.

I don't think there's any actual legislation regulating male behaviour though, is there? Anyhow I agree with that idea, men and women should be able to act however they please as long as it's legal.
Reply 25
Original post by ilem
I don't think there's any actual legislation regulating male behaviour though, is there? Anyhow I agree with that idea, men and women should be able to act however they please as long as it's legal.

I was inferring that woman should stop victimising themselves, that is where my argument stems from. No I don't think there is a law but as I mentioned before, men are considered rapist if they sleep with a drunk woman who didn't verbally consent.. Etc..

Okay I. Understand your view.
Reply 26
Original post by Alumna
I was inferring that woman should stop victimising themselves, that is where my argument stems from. No I don't think there is a law but as I mentioned before, men are considered rapist if they sleep with a drunk woman who didn't verbally consent.. Etc..

Okay I. Understand your view.

Yeah I do think that's stupid. Utterly bizzarre to see the two equally drunken people sleeping with one another and then the man gets accused of rape purely because he's a man.
Reply 27
Original post by Alumna
You gave me psychological based evidence which I don't care about one bit. I don't agree with some parts of psychological science so it would be too complex to go into. As for milestones and happiness, that has nothing to do with my point of who should parent a child. We, humans, naturally derived from a female just like other animals. Science is probably the evidence you want to back up my point.

It is humans that feel; being more modern is to be more sexual and they consider technology as such an achievement for this, when it really isn't.
P

Okay, well thats up to you if you want to agree / believe with that evidence.
Is it not? I guess that we have differing views on what parenting should be and include. In my opinion it should be the nurturing of the child to help them develop into well-adjusted adults.
There are many male animals that the father take an active parent role and work with the mother, so I do not understand where you are coming from.

Also your last point doesn't have much relevance.

But all of this has not got much to do with the fact that transgender individuals should have the right to have a family like any other person, and trans women are no less of a women than cis females, gender wise. Therefore they make just as good parents.
You don't even take into account same-sex parents, are these situations 'wrong' in your eyes?
Reply 28
Yes
es I agree, male and female should bring up children unless natural causes means 1 parent remaining. Yes and as I mentioned before transgender and same sex just shouldn't bring up children.as for my last point that you find irrelevant, well that is one of my underlining reasons to why people want to change their gender or get with same sex.

They either think it's cool,or they are not fancied by anyone else,or they don't have self confidence/ashamed in their own body to hide mental issues, or they do it for the sake. Those are my reasons to why people choose that lifestyle, they want to remain an underdog. As for when I said everyone is sexual well that's how modernisation is defined, females not wanting to be stereotyped, people accepting and normalising different sexual activities and ideas. I think rather than letting people carelessly bring kids into the world whom they can't look after, there should be a way of promoting this less careless behavior and stop making it popular.

yes it is deceitful for them to legally identify as a specific gender because imagine how many people w
Jould be attracted to someone and find out they are not really who they are.... Then they can't have kids... This just supports too much unethical behavior, how could anyone disagree
Reply 29
Original post by Alumna
Yes
es I agree, male and female should bring up children unless natural causes means 1 parent remaining. Yes and as I mentioned before transgender and same sex just shouldn't bring up children.as for my last point that you find irrelevant, well that is one of my underlining reasons to why people want to change their gender or get with same sex.

They either think it's cool,or they are not fancied by anyone else,or they don't have self confidence/ashamed in their own body to hide mental issues, or they do it for the sake. Those are my reasons to why people choose that lifestyle, they want to remain an underdog. As for when I said everyone is sexual well that's how modernisation is defined, females not wanting to be stereotyped, people accepting and normalising different sexual activities and ideas. I think rather than letting people carelessly bring kids into the world whom they can't look after, there should be a way of promoting this less careless behavior and stop making it popular.

yes it is deceitful for them to legally identify as a specific gender because imagine how many people w
Jould be attracted to someone and find out they are not really who they are.... Then they can't have kids... This just supports too much unethical behavior, how could anyone disagree

To be quite honest I can't really be bothered to reply properly due to your ignorance in the topic.
Thanks for the very depressing insight of what some people think, even though it is 2015 and I had hoped most of these outdated views had moved on a little.
Oh well.
Reply 30
Original post by Ruineth
To be quite honest I can't really be bothered to reply properly due to your ignorance in the topic.
Thanks for the very depressing insight of what some people think, even though it is 2015 and I had hoped most of these outdated views had moved on a little.
Oh well.

They have that's the reason I brought it up. OK.
Reply 31
Should there be less gender equality?
Hmm lemme think about that one!
Reply 32
Original post by Truths
Should there be less gender equality?
Hmm lemme think about that one!

Yes less.
Original post by Alumna
Yes

People might take you more seriously if you spoke with a shred of intelligence. That was quite frankly painful to read, as were all of your responses.
Original post by Alumna
Yes

I really want to burrow down as to why you think that transgender people can't raise children well.

A lot of what you have said rests upon the presumption that transgender people are not natural. Well of course they aren't natural, but that doesn't say whether it is right or wrong. This is known as the natural fallacy (see http://www.logicallyfallacious.com/index.php/logical-fallacies/132-naturalistic-fallacy). For example, I wear glasses. Glasses are not natural, and according to evolution and natural selection I would probably be dead if it weren't for them. Therefore they should be morally wrong, shouldn't they? Thus you can't say something is good or bad because it is natural because natural things are not necessarily good or bad (cyanide is natural too, you know).

Anyway, onto the main point. You have said transgender people can't raise children. Why though? Let us first look at what a good parent is. They are someone who looks after and loves there children, brings them up in a safe environment and protects them from harm. Now can any one of these qualities not be given by a transgender person: the answer is of course they all can. Indeed, give me one quality that a good parent would need that a transgender person can't give. Also, don't give something vague like 'motherly love', give a specific quality. I can't think that you will find any.

Indeed, to adopt children you need to pass very strict and stringent criteria. This means that not anyone can become a parent via adoption. However, anyone can become a parent via sex. Therefore, on average transgender parents should actually be better because there are more stringent checks in place.

You said that people become transgender because they think it is cool. Considering the hate (see your post) that transgender people get (over 50% of transgender youth attempt suicide), why on earth would they do it because it is 'cool'? It is not a choice, and even if it were that would not make it less valid.

You also said that it means they are deceitful because people will be attracted to them. That is like saying all gay people and lesbians are liars because some straight people might like them. In fact, it is like calling straight people liars because some gay people might be attracted to them.

Finally, having more transgender people does not encourage straight people to become transgender. You have given 0 evidence for this assertion. If it were true, then surely the opposite would be true as well. That is, since transgender people are surrounded by non-transgender people then they would be encouraged to be non-transgender too. Yet clearly we can see this is not the case.

A lot of your post deems things wrong because you do not like them. That does not make them wrong - it simply means you don't like them which is a key difference.
Original post by Ruineth
Oh well.

Thank you! I am glad that someone else on this thread does not hold medieval views on women and sexuality
Reply 36
Original post by iuyscvbh
I really want to burrow down as to why you think that transgender people can't raise children well.

A lot of what you have said rests upon the presumption that transgender people are not natural. Well of course they aren't natural, but that doesn't say whether it is right or wrong. This is known as the natural fallacy (see http://www.logicallyfallacious.com/index.php/logical-fallacies/132-naturalistic-fallacy). For example, I wear glasses. Glasses are not natural, and according to evolution and natural selection I would probably be dead if it weren't for them. Therefore they should be morally wrong, shouldn't they? Thus you can't say something is good or bad because it is natural because natural things are not necessarily good or bad (cyanide is natural too, you know).

Anyway, onto the main point. You have said transgender people can't raise children. Why though? Let us first look at what a good parent is. They are someone who looks after and loves there children, brings them up in a safe environment and protects them from harm. Now can any one of these qualities not be given by a transgender person: the answer is of course they all can. Indeed, give me one quality that a good parent would need that a transgender person can't give. Also, don't give something vague like 'motherly love', give a specific quality. I can't think that you will find any.

Indeed, to adopt children you need to pass very strict and stringent criteria. This means that not anyone can become a parent via adoption. However, anyone can become a parent via sex. Therefore, on average transgender parents should actually be better because there are more stringent checks in place.

You said that people become transgender because they think it is cool. Considering the hate (see your post) that transgender people get (over 50% of transgender youth attempt suicide), why on earth would they do it because it is 'cool'? It is not a choice, and even if it were that would not make it less valid.

You also said that it means they are deceitful because people will be attracted to them. That is like saying all gay people and lesbians are liars because some straight people might like them. In fact, it is like calling straight people liars because some gay people might be attracted to them.

Finally, having more transgender people does not encourage straight people to become transgender. You have given 0 evidence for this assertion. If it were true, then surely the opposite would be true as well. That is, since transgender people are surrounded by non-transgender people then they would be encouraged to be non-transgender too. Yet clearly we can see this is not the case.

A lot of your post deems things wrong because you do not like them. That does not make them wrong - it simply means you don't like them which is a key difference.

As I said previously I think it is wrong, I'm not going in to a huge debate with multiple people just because no-one agrees with me. I stand my what I WROTE, how you want to interpret it is up to you. You generalise my views too much, we do not have the same mentality, you're saying everyone should be free to do whatever they want and my idea is that no there should be boundaries, you have a bias view to back up your opinion and I have a biased view too. This discussion too complex, go create your own thread on this topic and get many other inputs. I won't change my opinion/fact, people choose to be it and need to grow thicker skin and find other ways to resolve their issues. I also mentioned people resort to it due to mental issues like depression and no confidence, maybe if they had a therapist then they can talk about all there problems. And yes some people think its cool, back in school people started doing it because THEY thought it was cool and other people did too and they did it for attention... Seeking. I don't think it is cool. And if you will generalise my views to makeup and cosmetic surgery well then you just don't understand what biased and double standards mean in this context...
Original post by Alumna
As I said previously I think it is wrong, I'm not going in to a huge debate with multiple people just because no-one agrees with me. I stand my what I WROTE, how you want to interpret it is up to you. You generalise my views too much, we do not have the same mentality, you're saying everyone should be free to do whatever they want and my idea is that no there should be boundaries, you have a bias view to back up your opinion and I have a biased view too. This discussion too complex, go create your own thread on this topic and get many other inputs. I won't change my opinion/fact, people choose to be it and need to grow thicker skin and find other ways to resolve their issues. I also mentioned people resort to it due to mental issues like depression and no confidence, maybe if they had a therapist then they can talk about all there problems. And yes some people think its cool, back in school people started doing it because THEY thought it was cool and other people did too and they did it for attention... Seeking. I don't think it is cool. And if you will generalise my views to makeup and cosmetic surgery well then you just don't understand what biased and double standards mean in this context...

You know this is a debate forum right? Yet you're refusing to debate or even listen to other view points. You know the whole point of debating is to see other view points that can possibly change opinions.

You're just showing yourself to be very ignorant.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by SophieSmall
You know this is a debate forum right? Yet you're refusing to debate or even listen to other view points. You know the whole point of debating is to see other view points that can possibly change opinions.

You're just showing yourself to be very ignorant.

You haven't even had any input you're just sitting back acting like a commentator, I said to the relevant people what I needed to say, my thread views went against the norm that was the point of it. End of
Original post by Alumna
You haven't even had any input you're just sitting back acting like a commentator, I said to the relevant people what I needed to say, my thread views went against the norm that was the point of it. End of

Please tell me why I should bother adding input when all you do is ignore what people say? You refuse to debate so why are you on the debate forum?

Not only that you haven't provided a shred of evidence for your claims, that shows you're not a good person to debate with. People who can't show evidence often don't bother even trying to be coherent ,or even take into account other views, all wile twisting arguments to suit themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending