The Student Room Group

AQA History HIS1L 13th May Britain 1906-51

Hey Guys

Anyone else doing HIS1L (Britain 1906-51)?

How is revision coming along?

What do you predict this year for the questions?

Have you done much revision?

How are you finding it?

Scroll to see replies

I'm resitting this from last year.

I haven't done much revision as of yet but I don't find the content too bad, just a bit boring unfortunately.
Reply 2
Original post by smozsolution
I'm resitting this from last year.I haven't done much revision as of yet but I don't find the content too bad, just a bit boring unfortunately.

What did you get last year?

I feel like this topic is more easier to remember than Nazi Germany albeit there being so many dates to remember :cry:
Original post by Valyrian
What did you get last year?

I feel like this topic is more easier to remember than Nazi Germany albeit there being so many dates to remember :cry:

I got a D after working at an A all year :frown: really upset me on results day as I thought the exam had gone really well. I also did Nazi Germany last year haha! I was scraping Cs and Ds throughout the year and when I did the exam, I came out with a very high B.

Luckily this year I only need either a low C for a B overall or a low A for an A overall, so at least a B would be fine :smile:

My one big tip is to not let your technique let you down though, that's what cost me the marks in this paper after I got my script back. I made so many stupid mistakes on quite straightforward questions.
Reply 4
I got a D after working at an A all year :frown: really upset me on results day as I thought the exam had gone really well. I also did Nazi Germany last year haha! I was scraping Cs and Ds throughout the year and when I did the exam, I came out with a very high B. Luckily this year I only need either a low C for a B overall or a low A for an A overall, so at least a B would be fine :smile:My one big tip is to not let your technique let you down though, that's what cost me the marks in this paper after I got my script back. I made so many stupid mistakes on quite straightforward questions.

What bothers me is that I do not really know how to prioritise effectively in questions and which categories, those really affect my potential marks to get 12/12. I usually only get about 10/12 for the first question and a mere 16/24 for the second :cry:
What bothers me is that I do not really know how to prioritise effectively in questions and which categories, those really affect my potential marks to get 12/12. I usually only get about 10/12 for the first question and a mere 16/24 for the second :cry:

The way I did it was the most important reason first, then second, then third. I'd try to link them by synoptic factors - is it political, social, economic, leadership etc. For 24 markers where it asks for how successful something was for instance, have 2/3 factors on each side of the argument in order of what was most/least successful and a reason why. :smile:
Reply 6
The way I did it was the most important reason first, then second, then third. I'd try to link them by synoptic factors - is it political, social, economic, leadership etc. For 24 markers where it asks for how successful something was for instance, have 2/3 factors on each side of the argument in order of what was most/least successful and a reason why. :smile:

Thank you for the tips! Do you have any feelings about what the questions could be this year?!
Thank you for the tips! Do you have any feelings about what the questions could be this year?!

You're welcome - remember, technique over knowledge. Use your knowledge to plump up your technique. That's probably the main thing I'd say to remember above the content haha.

Hmm, last year it was about the Liberals 1906-1911 ish, then one about the 1920s and finally one about the war and a bit after the war.

I'm guessing something potentially to do with the 1910s-20s and maybe the 30s? It's always difficult to predict though, which doesn't make revision any easier :frown:
Reply 8
You're welcome - remember, technique over knowledge. Use your knowledge to plump up your technique. That's probably the main thing I'd say to remember above the content haha.Hmm, last year it was about the Liberals 1906-1911 ish, then one about the 1920s and finally one about the war and a bit after the war.I'm guessing something potentially to do with the 1910s-20s and maybe the 30s? It's always difficult to predict though, which doesn't make revision any easier :frown:

Dont they give options of 3 pairs of 2 questions so it is quite a wide range to predict, but from the past papers a lot of questions about Labour and Liberals have come up :cry:
Dont they give options of 3 pairs of 2 questions so it is quite a wide range to predict, but from the past papers a lot of questions about Labour and Liberals have come up :cry:

Yeah it is, but usually the pair of questions are from the same time period.

Ideally I'd like more stuff on the Liberals to come up as I like it, but it has done quite a lot before so it may not again :frown:
I'm doing it too, a lot more boring than Vietnam.
Yeah I'm doing it. I'm finding revising it a bit hard especially the economic policies- very hard to get your mind around! Also my teacher said we should skip revision on the 2nd labour gov as we should just answer the before first world war and second world war question, has anyone else been told this? Its so much to learn! Much prefer the vietnam side tbh
Original post by sweetnsugax
Yeah I'm doing it. I'm finding revising it a bit hard especially the economic policies- very hard to get your mind around! Also my teacher said we should skip revision on the 2nd labour gov as we should just answer the before first world war and second world war question, has anyone else been told this? Its so much to learn! Much prefer the vietnam side tbh

Hi, just saying that I wouldn't recommend this and our teacher has specifically advised against skipping any sections of the course. Because you don't know what they are going to select, for example one year the first set of questions could be from 1906-1914, whereas the next year the beginning could be 1918? So you might plan on skipping a certain section but what if you don't like the other two questions available,if that makes sense. I just wouldn't recommend not revising a section as a single piece of information could be crucial in the exam :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rosieschofield
Hi, just saying that I wouldn't recommend this and our teacher has specifically advised against skipping any sections of the course. Because you don't know what they are going to select, for example one year the first set of questions could be from 1906-1914, whereas the next year the beginning could be 1918?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are restricted to asking a different time period for each section. You will never get two sections of the paper on, let's say, 1906-14. So, technically, you are able to skip a couple chapters in the syllabus, as long as that makes up solely one section. Don't skip two sections though lol
Oh, and i'm confident that 1945-51 will come up as it does every year + I feel like they have neglected the Crisis & Recovery segment of Section 2, that being the General strike and Lloyd George's downfall etc.
Original post by michiganpapi
They are restricted to asking a different time period for each section. You will never get two sections of the paper on, let's say, 1906-14. So, technically, you are able to skip a couple chapters in the syllabus, as long as that makes up solely one section. Don't skip two sections though lol

Im aware of that, but the first set of questions could skip the first 15 years of the course, so by skipping a section you could jeopardise an essay. Obviously it's everyone's choice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rosieschofield
Im aware of that, but the first set of questions could skip the first 15 years of the course, so by skipping a section you could jeopardise an essay. Obviously it's everyone's choice

Posted from TSR Mobile

ohhhhh, kay I see what you mean lol
Reply 17
Oh, and i'm confident that 1945-51 will come up as it does every year + I feel like they have neglected the Crisis & Recovery segment of Section 2, that being the General strike and Lloyd George's downfall etc.

Ugh Lloyd George is sooooo long T_T
Ugh Lloyd George is sooooo long T_T

he's hot though
Reply 19
he's hot though

No he's not, are you blind :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest