The Student Room Group

Help needed please. Architecture choices.

Hey guys, I wanted to get some help in choosing one of the listed Universities for the Architecture BA(Hons) Program. Please tell me which one you would prefer and why. The choices are :-
1) Northumbria University, Newcastle
2) University of the Arts, London
3) Oxford Brookes University
4) The University of Nottingham
Reply 1
Original post by arjunjhaveri
Hey guys, I wanted to get some help in choosing one of the listed Universities for the Architecture BA(Hons) Program. Please tell me which one you would prefer and why. The choices are :-

Well Nottingham here would be the obvious choice as its a Russell group. Have you been to visit any of them? If so which one did you like better?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I'm sorry but I'm not on the same page here. What exactly is the Russell group? And no, I have not been to any of them.
Reply 3
I'm sorry but I'm not on the same page here. What exactly is the Russell group? And no, I have not been to any of them.

They are 24 leading universities which have very good research and teaching skills
http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/our-universities/ this shows the list of the 24 where Nottingham is included.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
But does it mean that if a University is part of the Russell group, all of their courses are good? Because not all universities are great for all the courses they provide. And i'm specifically looking for the Architecture Undergrads Program
Reply 5
But does it mean that if a University is part of the Russell group, all of their courses are good? Because not all universities are great for all the courses they provide. And i'm specifically looking for the Architecture Undergrads Program

No it doesn't mean that all their courses are the best it just means they have a better reputation. Have you looked at the course modules for architecture on the uni's websites?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I have looked up the course modules and they are pretty much the same at all unis. Which is why I'm really confused in picking one. Somebody says UAL (Central Saint Martins) is good, the other says Northumbria is good, just goes on and on with different opinions.
Reply 7
Ignore all this russell group elitism rubbish. It doesn't mean anything in architecture. I don't know much about csm but the other 3 are very good for architecture. If you can visit them and the cities you should use that to make a judgement, not stupid league tables. I loved brookes when I visited but I've never been to the other 2
Original post by HarryW03
Ignore all this russell group elitism rubbish. It doesn't mean anything in architecture. I don't know much about csm but the other 3 are very good for architecture. If you can visit them and the cities you should use that to make a judgement, not stupid league tables.

Yeah, rankings (especially at undergrad) mean very little in architecture. All your four choices have very reputable architecture courses, and it's mainly important that you go somewhere you're happy and get the most out of the course! There are probably current students from some, if not all of your choices bashing around here somewhere who might be able to inform you a little more about the course. If not, it's probably worth contacting the departments - although nothing's as good as paying them a visit yourself (though obviously this can be tricky, especially with exams looming and distances and whatnot!)
Reply 9
Thank you so much for your responses. But, the problem in visiting these schools is that I'm from India. So yeah, that's totally out of question and since this is a forum where I can interact with a lot of students studying/applying to the UK, it makes that coefficient of mine in judging schools a lot more easier. I would still find it more convenient if you could list all these 4 in a preference order and also suggest me some more universities which are not yet included on my list which are probably on the same or higher level than these.

I didn't look into Oxford Brookes so I can't comment much on that one, however my friend is going there and loves it, it was his first choice also a colleague of mine who studied there for 3 years said it is a great place to study. Northumbria is more on the arts side, it has good studios and is improving quickly however is still a relatively new one compared to Nottingham. Nottingham is nice, i have studied in the city for 2 years and the course is great however it just wasn't for me because I've done a lot of the modules already however i would recommend it for the best job prospects for when you come out, out of the 4. UAL is a place of creativity, not known to be the best course however it may be more what you are looking for, however i never visited it. If you have any more questions on Northumbria or Nottingham then feel free to ask.
There's a good chance you'll want to do something other than architecture after your degree so you may as well do it at Nottingham out those choices, at least then you have a degree from a Russell Group uni which non-architectural employers will respect more than the others.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending