The Student Room Group

In university do you have to work in groups and give presentations?

I thought it was just a case of turning up to lectures and then studying independently in your own time. When do people give lectures and work in groups? Does it depend on the course? Thanks :smile:
I think it depends on the course, but certainly in some courses you will have to do group presentations etc in your seminars. :smile:
Reply 2
In almost every course you will have to work with others on a piece of coursework at some point, and yes this may involve giving presentations. Why? Because in a job, these are useful skills to have.
Original post by ElChapo
In almost every course you will have to work with others on a piece of coursework at some point, and yes this may involve giving presentations. Why? Because in a job, these are useful skills to have.

Oh the idealism of youth. Your last sentence should read: "Why? Because this reduces the marking-load by three quarters."
Reply 4
Original post by cambio wechsel
Oh the idealism of youth. Your last sentence should read: "Why? Because this reduces the marking-load by three quarters."

They could find other ways to reduce their marking load so I don't think your point is strictly true, no doubt an interesting view though
Reply 5
I have done presentations for 5 yrs in education, when at uni ur groups get picked for you. Depending on the people and yourself it can be a good experience, but personally I have had nothing but trouble as most don't see the relevance of doing presentations and leave things to last minute.
Original post by Maya331
I thought it was just a case of turning up to lectures and then studying independently in your own time. When do people give lectures and work in groups? Does it depend on the course? Thanks :smile:

I've only had to work in a group once and there was only two of us. We met up once, planned our presentation, presented it in a seminar and that was it.

I think it really depends on the course and the modules you take. I haven't really heard much from my friends about working on group projects either. I think some universities aren't as heavy on group presentations.
Reply 7
My last university has done a lot of analysis of graduate requirements with employers. The ability to work in a group was highlighted as a key employment skill, so my uni has some level of group work in each year of all degrees. They currently have new multi-million pound buildings under construction which concentrate on providing more collaborative working spaces, so they take it pretty seriously.

It will depend on each uni and course as to how much (if any) group work you end up doing.
Reply 8
For science courses, group work and presentations are inevitable.
Yep, most courses require group work and presentations. I once had to do a group presentation on a module that was completely irrelevant to my course :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending