The Student Room Group

Subject Selection Help

Im about to start theIBDP

Im thinking of

HL MATH CHEMISTRY ECONOMICS
SL HINDI B ENGLISH BIOLOGY

Should i change biology and chemistry?
is MATH BIOLOGY CHEMSTRY a very hard combination?

thoughts on my combination?
any tips and advice?
Reply 1
Hello!

I'm going to be taking the same combination next year :smile:

Math, Biology and Chemistry at HL is definitely a hard combination, but if you're willing to put in the effort then it's totally fine.

Chemistry Is mainly about your understanding and how proficient you are at grasping new concepts. On the other hand, Biology is mainly about memorising as opposed to understanding (p.s. Bio is too much to memorise). All in all, comes down to personal preference at the end.

Best of Luck!
Original post by Medukal
Hello!

I'm going to be taking the same combination next year :smile:

Math, Biology and Chemistry at HL is definitely a hard combination, but if you're willing to put in the effort then it's totally fine.

Chemistry Is mainly about your understanding and how proficient you are at grasping new concepts. On the other hand, Biology is mainly about memorising as opposed to understanding (p.s. Bio is too much to memorise). All in all, comes down to personal preference at the end.

Best of Luck!

Thanks
Original post by nameera Meghjani

Im thinking of

any tips and advice?

I'm in year 12 currently doing HL maths, chemistry and biology, and the workload is definitely manageable- just make sure you understand all concepts taught in the lesson- then maths and chemistry become less difficult to revise :smile:
Original post by nameera Meghjani

Im thinking of

any tips and advice?

It really comes down to why you are picking the subjects that you are. Here are some tips:

Pick what’s right for you if you enjoy a subject, you will automatically put more effort into it and perform better

Pick the Higher Level (HL) subjects first the HL subjects are more demanding and should only be things you are good at and enjoy

Don’t worry excessively about university requirements you don’t have to study History to get a Law degree and top universities will not reject you just because you took Business & Management. Be sensible in your choices but don’t get swayed by common misconceptions.

Consider the effect of your subject choices on your workload some subject combinations are more challenging than others and unless you really want to study those subjects or need them for university (eg Maths HL to pursue a Maths degree), it would be advisable to pick easier choices. The IB will have plenty going on to keep you busy.

More at http://callidolearning.com/blog/2015/05/28/blogib-subject-selection-which-subjects-should-i-choose/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending