The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL or Warwick ???

UCL vs. Warwick

Which one is the best for straight econ?
Which one has got the best reputation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi Vinay

both unis are good for straight Econ

But the question u need to ask is
are u looking to work in the city

if you are then from recruitment point of view
UCL is better

My son had to decide the same for his insurance and he will be choosing
UCL

HOPE THIS HELPS
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Both have excellent reputation for Economics. Warwick's reputation as a university is narrower whilst UCL's reputation is over wider over more disciplines. Not easy to choose between the two on Economics reputation alone so you will have to find other issues to help you choose, like whether you will not dislike a city environment or a more quiet campus atmosphere, bearing in mind that living and studying in London can be an experience of a lifetime too.
Original post by Vinay R.
UCL vs. Warwick

Which one is the best for straight econ?
Which one has got the best reputation?

UCL is better for Econs. Although just narrowly.

In regards to best reputation, UCL takes that hands down. It is a superior reputation locally and internationally.

The only other consideration that could swing you to pick Warwick is if you want a campus feel.
Reply 4
I've done my undergraduate in Warwick and my MSc in UCL. I say go for Warwick, there isn't one thing that UCL does better than Warwick. It's so much more organised and Warwick Business School is one of the best in the world. As someone who studied in both universities I say go to Warwick.
Warwick and UCL are the same in terms of academic rep, but Warwick is stronger for Econ.
Reply 6
Warwick= UCL. Go for either. Warwick is better for eco though.
Studying Economics in UCL in London would be like having your cake and eating it.
Recruitment prospects seem higher at UCL if you're looking to work in London. The only issue I have with UCL is maintenance costs, accommodation in the halls is VERY expensive and London in general is expensive. That being said, alongside the reputation UCL has a very good nightlife, community and all round experience.

In terms of Warwick Eco is slightly better there however there isn't much of a dramatic difference between them both.

Good luck on gaining a place!
Reply 9
Eventually my son insured UCL
above Warwick

Purely from recruitment and convenience
as we live in London
Original post by AQUF42
Eventually my son insured UCL
above Warwick

Purely from recruitment and convenience
as we live in London

there is absolutely no advantage being at ucl for recruitment as you put it, warwick has been voted number one in many categories for getting employed by the strongest organisations within london.
Original post by LutherVan
UCL is better for Econs. Although just narrowly.

In regards to best reputation, UCL takes that hands down. It is a superior reputation locally and internationally.

The only other consideration that could swing you to pick Warwick is if you want a campus feel.

completely incorrect, warwick is better for econ, if you havent attended either uni i think you giving a wrong opinion is not beneficial. ucl locally isnt even close to being "hands down" better rep, internationally ucl is known for being in london hence a better rep, again absolutely nothing to suggest its better than warwick
Warwick and UCL are the same however Warwick is better for Economics.
I think I'd be firming Warwick for Economics too!
UCL anyday
UCL obviously. No competition.
Those who are blindly saying UCL "no comp", it is a stupid remark. Firstly, I rejected LSE and UCL for Warwick. Go look at the rankings, Warwick is always above UCL. Go look at the linkedin rankings. Warwick is above UCL. But the difference is by two or three places, so it doesn't mean anything. Warwick and UCL are the same. The only thing that makes UCL more known over the world is that it is in London. London. Central London. The city everyone is dying to come to. The world rankings are blind, they're based on where international students are most likely to go. Warwick and UCL are the same, even though Warwick is always above UCL.
Original post by ShafTJB
Those who are blindly saying UCL "no comp", it is a stupid remark. Firstly, I rejected LSE and UCL for Warwick. Go look at the rankings, Warwick is always above UCL. Go look at the linkedin rankings. Warwick is above UCL. But the difference is by two or three places, so it doesn't mean anything. Warwick and UCL are the same. The only thing that makes UCL more known over the world is that it is in London. London. Central London. The city everyone is dying to come to. The world rankings are blind, they're based on where international students are most likely to go. Warwick and UCL are the same, even though Warwick is always above UCL.

You rejected LSE Economics for Warwick? No way.
Reply 18
Exactly
LSE over UCL and Warwick any day

Warwick is slightly better than UCL but
since we live in London with UCL we have
added advantage

World rankings are not stupid
More weightage is given to unis which
does medicine

look before you leap
Reply 19
I have known oeople rejecting Cambridge over LSE