The Student Room Group

Eating disorder and uni halls

I'm about to apply for hall for university.
My preference would be a shared standard catered option which ensures I get meals and has shared bathrooms and a shared room.

I'd be really nervous of not getting this as I've previously had an eating disorder which is never far from my mind.
If I have to cater for myself I'd end up not cooking in an attempt to lose weight.
If I don't share bathrooms it'll be extremely easy for me to begin purging again.
If I have my own room I don't know what I'd end up doing, but sharing a room would ensure somebody would tell me to go to meals or monitor my eating habits (if I stash food and binge in the room, skip many meals etc.)

This type of accommodation is extremely oversubscribed which is why I'm overthinking things.

Any advice on what to do when applying to emphasise the fact I'd much prefer these halls?

Thank you.
Can you get a letter from your GP explaining why this type of accommodation would benefit you?
Reply 2
Original post by OU Student
Can you get a letter from your GP explaining why this type of accommodation would benefit you?

I was never diagnosed; always kept it a secret from everyone, even my close friends and family.
You could potentially go and see your GP just with the purpose of getting such a letter. If you explain your situation to them, then they should be able to help you out regardless of whether you wish to get any further help from them or not (I take it from your OP that you're currently not actually acting on any ED thoughts, but just that you're worried you might do).

Also, while I'm sure having a roommate would be beneficial, I wouldn't suggest placing such a great responsibility on them, at least not from the outset. You'll both have your own separate lives to live and they may not be able to be around as much as you'd like them to be, not in a way that they can monitor your eating to such an extent. It might sound slightly childish, but I know one girl who used a star chart to mark off every time she ate a meal, and would set herself rewards for certain targets. That might be a good way for you to self-monitor your own eating habits of your own accord? You could even have it up in your room, where both you and your roommate could see, if you did want some encouragement or help from another person without them needing to be there in person. (Of course, every person with an ED is different, though)
Hi
Original post by Anonymous
I'm about to apply for hall for university.
My preference would be a shared standard catered option which ensures I get meals and has shared bathrooms and a shared room.

I'd be really nervous of not getting this as I've previously had an eating disorder which is never far from my mind.
If I have to cater for myself I'd end up not cooking in an attempt to lose weight.
If I don't share bathrooms it'll be extremely easy for me to begin purging again.
If I have my own room I don't know what I'd end up doing, but sharing a room would ensure somebody would tell me to go to meals or monitor my eating habits (if I stash food and binge in the room, skip many meals etc.)

This type of accommodation is extremely oversubscribed which is why I'm overthinking things.

Any advice on what to do when applying to emphasise the fact I'd much prefer these halls?

Thank you.

Send an email explaining the situation.
I asked for a specific type of room at my uni and they were very helpful.
It may be a little difficult if you have never been diagnosed as a note really does help, but if you make a good case for it they should be helpful. Id expect you can probably manage to get catered if you mention your fears about eating disorder.

If you need and support while you are at uni or before you get there remember there will be a student support centre.

Quick Reply

Latest