The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature B (LITB3): Elements of the Gothic 11th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by Kaydan
Yeah, that would be great.. Do you reckon it's religion or something this year?

I think it could be something to do with Lady Macbeth and her role as a female gothic character just because they've only asked about her once before.
Reply 201
Original post by The Egg
I think it could be something to do with Lady Macbeth and her role as a female gothic character just because they've only asked about her once before.

I wonder what section B will be like, as they've basically gone over everything except for the role of women, religion, etc..
I got a Band 5 in a Section B essay I did the other day. I'll post it up later, along with the Section A one on Wuthering Heights that I did say I'd upload.
All the teachers I asked said they have no predictions :frown: because its too hard to predict as the questions are quite complicated and the exam board tends to be quite random and repeat ideas in no particular pattern.

Also, I just sent off and got back another essay, this time for Wuthering Heights (Sec A). It was Band 6, but she said I needed a better conclusion, perhaps an overview of the Gothic in relation to the question. Just tell me if you don't want me to keep posting them - I'm not sure if they are any use to you guys and my handwriting is pretty much illegible so....
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 204
Please don't stop posting the, so helpful! :smile: But the file appears upside down if it's not too much trouble is it possible to flip it please ? :smile:

Original post by ameliaedmondes
All the teachers I asked said they have no predictions :frown: because its too hard to predict as the questions are quite complicated and the exam board tends to be quite random and repeat ideas in no particular pattern.

Also, I just sent off and got back another essay, this time for Wuthering Heights (Sec A). It was Band 6, but she said I needed a better conclusion, perhaps an overview of the Gothic in relation to the question. Just tell me if you don't want me to keep posting them - I'm not sure if they are any use to you guys and my handwriting is pretty much illegible so....
Original post by Kaydan
I wonder what section B will be like, as they've basically gone over everything except for the role of women, religion, etc..

religion and presentation of women both came up in Jun 2010. Also, presentation of woman is kind of used indirectly in Sec A like the question specifically on Lady Macbeth. But ideas are often repeated I have noticed looking through them just now...like violence has propped up four times in Sec A (for my texts) and Sec B. I've noticed that some questions are just reworded and used again, like good vs evil was in Sec B and then almost the exact same question was used again for Frankenstein.

Other ideas that are repeated (anywhere in both sections):
- Death (3 times)
- (Fear of) the unknown
- Extremes in the character
- Whether the text is shocking
- Tension/suspense
- Gothic characters (protagonist, villain etc.)
- Entrapment
- Fear in the mind
- Whether the text is comic
- Subconscious desires

Some ideas that have only come up once (but maybe for the other texts I don't do):
- Religion
- Haunted by past
- Disruption of natural order
- Danger of aspiration
- Sexuality
- Dark side of humans
- Double/doppelganger
- Most of the Bloody Chamber questions are quite unique

Also, something to consider for Sec A is that specific characters are sometimes mentioned:
- Macbeth, they've done the witches, Macbeth and L.Macbeth
- Frankenstein, they've never focused on one specifically, but have looked at Victor and monster as a double
- Wuthering Heights, they've only done Heathcliff (so maybe Catherine might come up?)
- The Bloody Chamber, no specifics

This is probably not helpful at all...I attempted to find a pattern but didn't really :frown: all we can basically conclude is that they could give us something repeated or something completely new...who knows!
Original post by BOWE
Please don't stop posting the, so helpful! :smile: But the file appears upside down if it's not too much trouble is it possible to flip it please ? :smile:

Oh...whoops! Must have sent it to my teacher like that too. If you are in adobe reader, go to 'view' and then click 'rotate view' and that should do it :smile: If you still can't just let me know and I'll try uploading it again.

A couple more tips (I am no expert, believe me, but these are just things I do...):
- address all parts of the question (you can agree with some and not all of it if you want to make a unique argument)
- Finish each paragraph with a link back to the question
- Repeat words from the question all the time. I don't bother with synonyms because I want to make sure I am linking back to the question.
- familiarise yourself with a critical approach (psychoanalysis is my personal favourite, because I find it applies all the time, but that's probs because I'm doing psychology at uni - could also do feminism, marxism etc.)
- Try to talk about the author's intentions

(haha reminding myself and reinforcing this all in my own brain while writing this)

You don't have to listen to me though honestly :smile: I have only posted my last three essays which are the only Band 6 ones I have done, so basically I only just started getting my technique right and I am desperately trying to keep it up (I hope my teacher isn't giving me Band 6 just to make me feel better!)
Reply 207
religion and presentation of women both came up in Jun 2010. Also, presentation of woman is kind of used indirectly in Sec A like the question specifically on Lady Macbeth. But ideas are often repeated I have noticed looking through them just now...like violence has propped up four times in Sec A (for my texts) and Sec B. I've noticed that some questions are just reworded and used again, like good vs evil was in Sec B and then almost the exact same question was used again for Frankenstein.

Other ideas that are repeated (anywhere in both sections):
- Death (3 times)
- (Fear of) the unknown
- Extremes in the character
- Whether the text is shocking
- Tension/suspense
- Gothic characters (protagonist, villain etc.)
- Entrapment
- Fear in the mind
- Whether the text is comic
- Subconscious desires

Some ideas that have only come up once (but maybe for the other texts I don't do):
- Religion
- Haunted by past
- Disruption of natural order
- Danger of aspiration
- Sexuality
- Dark side of humans
- Double/doppelganger
- Most of the Bloody Chamber questions are quite unique

Also, something to consider for Sec A is that specific characters are sometimes mentioned:
- Macbeth, they've done the witches, Macbeth and L.Macbeth
- Frankenstein, they've never focused on one specifically, but have looked at Victor and monster as a double
- Wuthering Heights, they've only done Heathcliff (so maybe Catherine might come up?)
- The Bloody Chamber, no specifics

This is probably not helpful at all...I attempted to find a pattern but didn't really :frown: all we can basically conclude is that they could give us something repeated or something completely new...who knows!

Thank you very much - this is definitely helpful! I'm having a problem finding 2009, 2010 & 2011 past papers.. Can you help me locate them?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kaydan
Thank you very much - this is definitely helpful! I'm having a problem finding 2009, 2010 & 2011 past papers.. Can you help me locate them?

I just have a booklet that was made by my teachers with all the questions from 2010-2013 for the texts I'm doing. So I haven't actually got the 2009 or 2014 papers. I can send you the questions for 2010 and 2011 if you like?
Reply 209
I just have a booklet that was made by my teachers with all the questions from 2010-2013 for the texts I'm doing. So I haven't actually got the 2009 or 2014 papers. I can send you the questions for 2010 and 2011 if you like?

Yeah, that would be great 😊
My dream for section A, Macbeth would be something psychoanalysis-related, but I'm doubtful. I know somebody else has predicted religion, but has anyone else got any other ideas?

Also, any section B predictions?
Original post by bradshawsl
My dream for section A, Macbeth would be something psychoanalysis-related, but I'm doubtful. I know somebody else has predicted religion, but has anyone else got any other ideas?

Also, any section B predictions?

Do you have any resources you could share on Macbeth?it would be great to see how you apply psychoanalysis to Macbeth :smile:
Original post by Kaydan
That would be great, haha - Btw, what grades did you get last year and what grade are you planning on getting this year?

Original post by BOWE
Hey, these are the three texts I am doing, and I also HATE wuthering heights!
Although I do enjoy frankenstein. I am doing an intensive self taught A level course so I have also had my AS exams this summer, so have neglected A2 revision. Any practice essays or plans you have would be incredibly helpful , if you have some could you please post them? thank you :smile:

hey guys, here's a couple of essays I've done that I said I would upload. I have a couple more but I still need to type them up, so I'll get them to you as soon as possible. These all got 30 marks or above, hope they help.
Do you have any resources you could share on Macbeth?it would be great to see how you apply psychoanalysis to Macbeth :smile:

Sure - I posted on my revision blog about the uncanny/psychoanalysis last night. There's a bit where I applied it to Macbeth there :smile: Some of the other Macbeth essays I've posted probably have little bits of psychoanalysis in them too.
Original post by Kaydan

Jan 2010
Sec A
Macbeth - what do you think is the significance of the witches?
Frankenstein - to what extent do you agree with the view that Mary Shelley is exploring "the dark side of the human psyche"
Wuthering heights - "violence breeds violence" in light of this comment, consider the presentation of violence in the novel.
The bloody chamber - many readers have been shocked by the stories. Do you find them merely shocking?
Sec B
To what extent do you think the Gothic is characterised by a fascination with death?
"Gothic settings are desolate, alienating and full of menace" in light of this comment, consider some of the ways writers use settings in the texts you have studied
Consider the view that the Gothic often explores the powerlessness of humanity when faced with the power of the supernatural
June 2010
Sec A
At the end of the play, Malcolm describes Macbeth as a "butcher". Do you think that Macbeth is merely portrayed as a butcher?
To what extent do you agree with the view that the humans are more monstrous than the monster?
"In the world of WH extremes of behaviour are presented as the norm and moderation is neither known nor desired" to what extent do you agree?
"In the bloody chamber, childhood fairy tales become the stuff of adult nightmares" how far do you agree?
Sec B
"Religion is central to readings of gothic texts" how far do you agree?
Consider the view that gothic writing explores the "nightmarish terrors" that lie beneath the orderly surface of the "civilised mind"
"In gothic writing, woman are presented as either innocent victims or sinister predators or are significantly absent" consider the place of women in gothic writing in light of this comment
Original post by Kaydan

Sorry got too lazy to type the rest!
Reply 216
Sorry got too lazy to type the rest!

Thank you very much! This is definitely going to help.. Now to what questions will come up 😁
Hey!

Does anyone have any notes on horror and terror for The Bloody Chamber, Dr Faustus or Wuthering Heights?
Reply 218
Does anyone have the AQA January 2012 exemplar script for the Litb3 exam, elements of the gothic ?
Also does anyone have any essays on this question 'To what extent do you agree with the view that, in gothic writing, death is the punishment for sin?'.
Please could you email me if you have any exemplar scripts for the AQA January 2012 Litb3 exam.
Thanks in advance.
Hi, my teachers have said that women in texts haven't come up in a while, but it is so hard to predict!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending