The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature B (LITB3): Elements of the Gothic 11th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by S.Mundane
Same here but for Macbeth! It's the one text I don't know much. I'm also stuck on the essay structure.

Lool for macbeth I just repeat the same thing like in every essay tbh I need to go through all my texts properly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ammaarah01
Lool for macbeth I just repeat the same thing like in every essay tbh I need to go through all my texts properly

Posted from TSR Mobile

We haven't even finished studying it yet so I'm kinda worried :/ I just really hope my knowledge on Frankenstein and Wuthering Heights will be enough haha
Original post by Nerdy_Birdy96
That's interesting, I prefer Macbeth to my other texts. I find it the easiest to analyse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, like when I can talk about it easily but I find it hard to write it. Even in AS Section B is hard man.
Original post by bethabbott
Just thought I'd post this blog I just found, it's got The Bloody Chamber, Macbeth & Wuthering Heights materials (Incredibly useful for TBC I believe) :smile:

ohh where is this blog please? :smile:
Does anyone have any predictions about section A Macbeth questions/ section B questions?
Original post by heythere123
Does anyone have any predictions about section A Macbeth questions/ section B questions?

I dunno why but section B I have a feeling religion may come up and my teacher thinks presentation of women may come up as well :/
I dunno why but section B I have a feeling religion may come up and my teacher thinks presentation of women may come up as well :/

I think I would be okay with the woman question but religion noooo!!! hopefully as there are 3 questions one will be okay!! :smile:
Reply 47
This might sound silly, how do you analyse and evaluate?? I got an A last year but this year the best mark I have got is 19/40 and I'm really struggling

My teacher tells me I'm too narrative but she hasn't done any lessons on exam technique and is planning on going over all the books again until the exam so she's not going to do any lessons on exam technique, can anyone help??

Posted from TSR Mobile
I found this website soooo helpful for Wuthering Heights !! http://www.wuthering-heights.co.uk/index.php
Original post by Jo890
This might sound silly, how do you analyse and evaluate?? I got an A last year but this year the best mark I have got is 19/40 and I'm really struggling

My teacher tells me I'm too narrative but she hasn't done any lessons on exam technique and is planning on going over all the books again until the exam so she's not going to do any lessons on exam technique, can anyone help??

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did u get an A last year? I'm struggling with my AS retake!

I find that the best way to analyse is to plan each point according to the AOs. So AO1 I jot down key terms, AO2 I add quotes and techniques (words on how it shapes the story), AO3 I write different views that relates to the question and AO4 I add either a critic or a bit about the context. When I write it out, I kinda just make sure it all links together, make sure I have the question in mind. At the end of each paragraph I always end with
a sentence that links to the question.

Evaluation I just add words like 'significantly' or 'effectively', 'powerful'. Basically describe the technique used.
Original post by Jo890

Posted from TSR Mobile

My teacher gave us a basic frame to go by to include in each paragraph (this is for Section A questions, not sure if it applies to Section B):

Start each paragraph with a point that is clearly referring back to the question.

Find a quotation/incident from the novel/play that supports your views.

Explain what relevance that quotation has to the point you have made.

Analyse what the quote tells us and how it contributes to answering the question, relating to the Gothic.

Evaluate why the author/playwright may have included this element and what overall significance it has to the question posted.

Basically we were told to get Band 5/6 you need to relate back to WHY the author chose to include this aspect in their novel, relating it back to context at the time or wider significance.

If that doesn't really make sense she gave us an example paragraph but it's on Northanger Abbey, so if you do that I could send you it?

I'd quite like a women and a religion question tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd quite like a women and a religion question tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here. I think women would be a lot easier to talk about for Macbeth though. And there's too much to say about religion in Wuthering Heights for me to narrow it down haha.

How is everyone memorising quotes? I'm struggling!
Reply 53
How did u get an A last year? I'm struggling with my AS retake!

I find that the best way to analyse is to plan each point according to the AOs. So AO1 I jot down key terms, AO2 I add quotes and techniques (words on how it shapes the story), AO3 I write different views that relates to the question and AO4 I add either a critic or a bit about the context. When I write it out, I kinda just make sure it all links together, make sure I have the question in mind. At the end of each paragraph I always end with
a sentence that links to the question.

Evaluation I just add words like 'significantly' or 'effectively', 'powerful'. Basically describe the technique used.

Thank you, I really don't know just link it all and add AO3 I think I fluked it though hence why I'm struggling this year :/

Original post by amforsyth
My teacher gave us a basic frame to go by to include in each paragraph (this is for Section A questions, not sure if it applies to Section B):

Start each paragraph with a point that is clearly referring back to the question.

Analyse what the quote tells us and how it contributes to answering the question, relating to the Gothic.

Evaluate why the author/playwright may have included this element and what overall significance it has to the question posted.

Basically we were told to get Band 5/6 you need to relate back to WHY the author chose to include this aspect in their novel, relating it back to context at the time or wider significance.

If that doesn't really make sense she gave us an example paragraph but it's on Northanger Abbey, so if you do that I could send you it?

Could you please! I'm not doing northanger abbey but it might be useful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
I'm retaking this exam. I got a C. Last year's questions were so horrible l felt like crying. Hopefully, this time round luck will be on my side.

I'm doing Macbeth, Bloody Chamber and Frankenstein.

With the A03 differing interpretation, is that just your for and against argument?

Also, what does it mean to evaluate? Evaluating is the only thing I have trouble with. Can someone give an exemplar paragraph on it please?
Original post by maymuyt
I'm retaking this exam. I got a C. Last year's questions were so horrible l felt like crying. Hopefully, this time round luck will be on my side.

I'm doing Macbeth, Bloody Chamber and Frankenstein.

With the A03 differing interpretation, is that just your for and against argument?

Also, what does it mean to evaluate? Evaluating is the only thing I have trouble with. Can someone give an exemplar paragraph on it please?

Hey, for AO3 you can offer an alternative interpretation that disagrees with your original point, or you can offer critical approaches (e.g a feminist or Marxist interpretation) as this usually allows you to hit AO4 as well.

As for evaluation, I don't have any exemplar paragraphs but I can tell you what I do. I take my original point and the alternative offered for AO3 and then say which is stronger/weaker or which one I agree with more, justifying my reason. That's what has seemed to get me marks so I assume it works.

Hope that helps :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
Hey, for AO3 you can offer an alternative interpretation that disagrees with your original point, or you can offer critical approaches (e.g a feminist or Marxist interpretation) as this usually allows you to hit AO4 as well.

As for evaluation, I don't have any exemplar paragraphs but I can tell you what I do. I take my original point and the alternative offered for AO3 and then say which is stronger/weaker or which one I agree with more, justifying my reason. That's what has seemed to get me marks so I assume it works.

Hope that helps :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, that makes total sense. So do l do that throughout the essay or just where l can?

With the evaluating, is it just explaining which interpretation is significant and why? So Lady Macbeth for instance, (l hope you're doing Shakespeare so you can understand lol) one could say she's the fourth witch and I'll explain that. To counteract that, l could say she's actually being misread as a woman as she is the epitome of social elevation and from then, I'd decide which is significant and give a reason why?

Is that right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Does anyone have any example a-c grade essays?
Preferably on macbeth, frankenstein or the changeling so I understand, but I would be grateful for anything :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by amforsyth

Could you please send it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maymuyt
Ah, that makes total sense. So do l do that throughout the essay or just where l can?

With the evaluating, is it just explaining which interpretation is significant and why? So Lady Macbeth for instance, (l hope you're doing Shakespeare so you can understand lol) one could say she's the fourth witch and I'll explain that. To counteract that, l could say she's actually being misread as a woman as she is the epitome of social elevation and from then, I'd decide which is significant and give a reason why?

Is that right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd try and give alternatives in every paragraph if you can, it bolsters your arguments that way.

Yep that's it. Make those two points about Lady Macbeth and either say which one you think is stronger or which one you agree with. For example, "whilst both of those points are valid, I believe that Shakespeare is portraying Lady Macbeth as a fourth witch, as it would have been very controversial for him to place women in a position of power in the extremely patriarchal society of Jacobean Britain. As such, Shakespeare depicts Lady Macbeth as a fourth witch because her power is akin to the supernatural."

Something like that anyway :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending