The Student Room Group

Damn these things!

Ears!

I was stupid enough to start poking around tonight with those things you stick in your ear to get wax out (mmmmm lovely) Not surprisingly one of them is properly blocked, and now I am deaf in one ear :frown: How can I get it to go? Or if there aren't any atcual methods, how long should it take to go away? It's already been about 2 hours.

ta

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you get ear drops they will help get it out
Reply 2
you clever trevor!
Reply 3
Had exactly the same thing. Went to the doctor and got a spray. Took a week to go. I know it's bloody annoying, but it will go eventually and you've just gotta put up with it!

I've not poked around in my ears since. Basically what happens is the ear canals swell so the sound can't get through very well. Felt like there was water trapped in there for me.
Reply 4
Shmerm
Had exactly the same thing. Went to the doctor and got a spray. Took a week to go. I know it's bloody annoying, but it will go eventually and you've just gotta put up with it!

I've not poked around in my ears since. Basically what happens is the ear canals swell so the sound can't get through very well. Felt like there was water trapped in there for me.

a week??? Nooooooo, seriously, I can't live with this for a week. I won't be able to hear in calss properly and it's constantly on my mind. I've been told that warm olive oil helps, but yeah I'm wondering if that's just a stupid old wives tale. Still, I'm willing to try anything.
Reply 5
if you get free medicine goto the doctors and get a prescription, else just get some ear drops, I did the same thing, got alot better after a day, gone in about 3.
Reply 6
LostRiot
if you get free medicine goto the doctors and get a prescription, else just get some ear drops, I did the same thing, got alot better after a day, gone in about 3.

Was that with drops? Or just on its own.
Reply 7
i once stuck one in each ear at a mates (to clean my ears) and my mate walked past me and nudged my elbow... they bled.

omg.

the pain.
You should never be using cotton buds in your ears anyway, they are for the exterior of the ear, to clean the inside either get a spray or use tisuue paper and just shake youe ear about with the tissue paper wrapped round your finger if you get what I mean. But in the long term using cotton buds inside the ears will cause damage.
Sausage
i once stuck one in each ear at a mates (to clean my ears) and my mate walked past me and nudged my elbow... they bled.

omg.

the pain.

this is one of my fears :frown:
Reply 10
Ooh i did this last weekend! it's horrible, thankfully now it's cleared but try getting some eardrops from the chemist. Suffice to say i will not be poking around with cotton buds anymore!
Reply 11
sol89
Yep, this is nasty, I did it a couple of months back.
It will be back to normal in 1-2 weeks if you're lucky (which I was).

If you are unlucky, you may have perforated your eardrum which is pretty serious and you may have to go and see a doctor.

Wait for a week or two, and if it isn't better then go and see your doctor.

I've never used one since doing that lol, I use toilet paper to clean my ears now.

I don't think it's perferated, my mum looked in my ear and said it was just filled with wax. And I can like feel the pressure if that makes sense. Also, I've felt it get slightly better, but then I go deaf again, when it blocks up again. So it's just a qestion of shiftihn this wax.
Reply 12
34 person
Was that with drops? Or just on its own.

ear drops,

use them just for the experience, hearing you ear wax bing dissolved inside you ears is mental
In year 1 I put a piece of glass in my ear and had to go to hostpital for the doctor to tweezer it out :biggrin:. They gave me it in a little plastic bottle, but I lost it :frown:. And now I'm sad :frown:.
Reply 14
You would absolutely KNOW if you'd perforated your ear drum, as someone suggested. Trust me, it's the most painful thing.

Olive oil does help, not just an old wives tale.
Why did my post get deleted :frown:
Reply 16
mine did too :frown:
What did yours say? Mine was about the BFG having big ears =[
Reply 18
it makes my eyes water just thinking about it :| warm water
Reply 19
TakingBackJaney<3
What did yours say? Mine was about the BFG having big ears =[

i said that she would be the talk of the town for having said big ears.

and then i said ROFFLECOPTER.. it was highly amusing :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending