The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

MalaysianDude
I got strong A`s for for units 1,2 and 4 so far (80+/90)
taking 3 ,5 and 6 this term cause i kinda screwed up unit 3 last term argh..

at this present moment i only have an A in phy 2 i got like 90% for that one
and good B's in 1,,3,4
so im resiting them 3 plus modules 5 and 6, i shud get an A though,
i resat phy 3 practical already, tht went very well
Reply 41
chats
i didnt do that experiment i do one with the current and pd, and the springs with the mass. sorry hav i got a different sylabus than u lot? physics OCR

I did that one too. went okay.
Reply 42
You guys have made me all so happy! Glad I wasn't only one who messed up capacitor's question! Our teacher had to read this thing out from Edexcel before hand about how we needed to add a switch into our circuit so that it would work properly (they'd tried expt the other day, found problems nd foned edexcel!) and I was like "omg" and started to panic (i always do when I'm told there are mistakes on the paper). And I was having difficulty working the switch and my teacher was walking around watchin me and stupidly I didn't use the initial value of V we had to find at the beginning of the experiment to work out the charge stored (I stupidly used the tiny reading on the voltmeter!!! <slams head against wall>)! So as a result I got the wrong stored charge and then I got a silly answer for X (like 23microfarads) and thus the wrong explanation to "has all charge been transferred". Then he said "5mins left with apparatus" and I was like shit!!!! So I started depth question and then when I came back to that question later I was like "i know im being really thick, but should it be the value of V-o that I use in working out the charge" and stupidly I didnt change my original calculation.

Glad we've all got similar sort of results for the block, k-value and the final current. All in all I thought it was a reasonable paper, just annoyed that I messed up first bit (hoping only few marks lost and a few ECF marks gained!). I suppose I'll just blame Edexcel for messing up the circuit to start with :tongue:
Reply 43
Whoa, I messed up on the capacitors question too!

I got 9.2A for the current, 158g for the wooden block and 0.223 m/s (too many s.f.?) for the speed of the water wave.

Looking at the numbers in this thread, I was wondering whether Edexcel specifies a set weight for the wooden block, or whether schools just use any they like and write the weight on the front of the paper?

My k value was around 7.9, and my uncertainty in d was around 16%, so I wrote that there must have been a systematic error in my experiment lol (no idea what it was though).

But on the whole the paper went ok, I did better than I expected.
Reply 44
baba
Whoa, I messed up on the capacitors question too!

I got 9.2A for the current, 158g for the wooden block and 0.223 m/s (too many s.f.?) for the speed of the water wave.

Looking at the numbers in this thread, I was wondering whether Edexcel specifies a set weight for the wooden block, or whether schools just use any they like and write the weight on the front of the paper?

My k value was around 7.9, and my uncertainty in d was around 16%, so I wrote that there must have been a systematic error in my experiment lol (no idea what it was though).

But on the whole the paper went ok, I did better than I expected.

just realised i forgot to explain why i had a big uncertainity in d (14%) drat!!
Reply 45
Did ne 1 do aqa physics B 2day?
Wot did ye think!?
Reply 46
Hoofbeat
You guys have made me all so happy! Glad I wasn't only one who messed up capacitor's question! Our teacher had to read this thing out from Edexcel before hand about how we needed to add a switch into our circuit so that it would work properly (they'd tried expt the other day, found problems nd foned edexcel!) and I was like "omg" and started to panic (i always do when I'm told there are mistakes on the paper). And I was having difficulty working the switch and my teacher was walking around watchin me and stupidly I didn't use the initial value of V we had to find at the beginning of the experiment to work out the charge stored (I stupidly used the tiny reading on the voltmeter!!! <slams head against wall>)! So as a result I got the wrong stored charge and then I got a silly answer for X (like 23microfarads) and thus the wrong explanation to "has all charge been transferred". Then he said "5mins left with apparatus" and I was like shit!!!! So I started depth question and then when I came back to that question later I was like "i know im being really thick, but should it be the value of V-o that I use in working out the charge" and stupidly I didnt change my original calculation.

Glad we've all got similar sort of results for the block, k-value and the final current. All in all I thought it was a reasonable paper, just annoyed that I messed up first bit (hoping only few marks lost and a few ECF marks gained!). I suppose I'll just blame Edexcel for messing up the circuit to start with :tongue:

Oh drat, we didn't have a switch! and ARgh, didn't explain huge uncertainty. Bollocks. :mad:
i didnt do well in tht test
15/16 for section C, i got the wrong range
10/16 for section B
9/16 for section A

b/c for tht paper but its all good ill smack up fields n forces papa, i got 90% in mock
Reply 48
mathematician
i didnt do well in tht test
15/16 for section C, i got the wrong range
10/16 for section B
9/16 for section A

b/c for tht paper but its all good ill smack up fields n forces papa, i got 90% in mock

wait. backtrack. how do you know what you got?
Reply 49
Mysticmin
wait. backtrack. how do you know what you got?

I think s/he is just guessing how they think they did. I'm hoping:

A = 12/16
B = 15/16
C = 16/16 which would still give me an A!
Reply 50
Damn IT!!!!

for my current i got 0.93A!!!!!
But i was sure this was right because when i plugged it back into the equation i got the right answer but when i tried 9.3A i was out by a factor of ten!!!
But i suppose as u lot all got the same urs was right :frown:
Reply 51
what did you guys put for the range of current on the ammeter in part (b) cause I was going to put 1-6A but got a value for 9.3A later in the second part of the question and therefore changed it to 1-12A. I get the feeling that I shouldn't have changed it!
Also, what are you supposed to talk about with the validilty of the capacitor reading? Was it only worth 1 mark?
Will i lose a mark for not drawing a setsquare on the diagram? (in part (a))
Thanks guys
Reply 52
jtaylor
what did you guys put for the range of current on the ammeter in part (b) cause I was going to put 1-6A but got a value for 9.3A later in the second part of the question and therefore changed it to 1-12A. I get the feeling that I shouldn't have changed it!
Also, what are you supposed to talk about with the validilty of the capacitor reading? Was it only worth 1 mark?
Will i lose a mark for not drawing a setsquare on the diagram? (in part (a))
Thanks guys

I put 0-6A as the range and didnt change it, even though I later got 9.1A. No-one else (well there's only 3 of us) did in my physics group either. What do u mean by the validity of the capacitor - do u mean that one of the capacitances must be very much larger so all charge is transferred. You probably will lose a mark for not drawing the set square, but then it's only 1 mark out of 48! lol

I'm sure everyone did fine! :smile:
Reply 53
I put the ammeter range as 0-10A as this is a fairly standard range that would cover all the possible readings (I decided on this before calculating 9.3A). Are you talking about the set square in question A to check the ruler was vertical or was I meant to include one in question C?
Reply 54
Bezza
I put the ammeter range as 0-10A as this is a fairly standard range that would cover all the possible readings (I decided on this before calculating 9.3A). Are you talking about the set square in question A to check the ruler was vertical or was I meant to include one in question C?

I meant in QB where it was the oscillation. I didn't use one in A (we weren't provided with one and our teachers told us later that they'd checked with exam board and we weren't supposed to be given one) and I didn't even think of using one in C! lol
Reply 55
Bezza

there wasn't one in A, but i used one in B. I put 0-10A to cover my mistakes :smile:
Reply 56
Sorry I meant question B - we didn't get one for A and there wasn't one on the list for C either. I just got myself confused because I did B first! :rolleyes:

Latest