The Student Room Group

people searching me on the internet

Is it normal that my new friends in my first year at university seach my name on the internet and the following day suddenly ask me: hey, is it true that you did this.../went there.../played that online game.../wrote that...?

I've been stupid enough to have made some webpages when I was smaller (3-4 years ago) in which I - well - wrote BS.

Not the myspace/blog-like stuff, but you know, stuff you wouldn't like people you know in real-life to read. Philosophical stuff, game scores, political ideologies, utopias etc.

And I've also been stupid enough to write all of that with my real name/identity... i never used nicknames on the internet. let's say that it was a time in which i didn't care much about what others thought about me, reputation et al... But now things have changed... uni, new life, new friends.
I'm not feeling so sure anymore when others suddenly tell me what I did 3 years ago...

what should i do when others "investigate" on my background?
simply joke about "what I did when I was younger" (but 3 years isn't also that much, after all)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
erm no its not normal :s-smilie:
It depends, were you a communist? You'd never live that down.

Just laugh it off.
Reply 3
:ditto: Yeah I'd just laugh it off.
Sure, laugh it off. It's no big deal :smile:

You could also search them as well, just on the off-chance there's something they're hiding :wink:
Reply 5
Why don't you try to log back into this site and delete all the information about you?
Reply 6
Meh I wouldn't worry about it. One of my lecturers still posts stuff like that on the net. His latest blog entry was only a couple of months ago. It's amazing what a simple Google search can dig up :biggrin: And he's unlucky enough to have an uncommon name so nearly every page is about him. And there's 37,000 pages. He does post a lot of crap on the internet :biggrin:
Sausage
erm no its not normal :s-smilie:
And who are you to judge? You're the one proposing marriage to an actor in America, from your padded cell in England.
Just kidding, ya know I love you and everyone on TSR :love: :biggrin:.
But seriously you're weird.
Reply 8
say it's not you?
if they rip the piss out of you for what you put on a website 3/4 years ago, rip the piss out of them for looking them up, the stalker weirdos :biggrin:
Reply 10
Anyone who searches my name alongside "Edinburgh" will find two really embarrassing pub reviews. I regret those deeply.
Yeh that's weird. I havn't Googled anyone since i was 15 :s-smilie:
Reply 12
And he's unlucky enough to have an uncommon name so nearly every page is about him. And there's 37,000 pages. He does post a lot of crap on the internet

I happen to have his same unluck! Yeah, all the first search result pages on Google with my name are me. And I can't even say it isn't me because there's really lot of information typically me :P

, rip the piss out of them for looking them up, the stalker weirdos

Also a good idea :biggrin:
But they sort of have a stronger diplomatic power. They could go around telling everyone what I did/wrote when I was "young" :P
(something like that had actually already happened while I was still at school, when some of my friends printed out some of my stuff and pinned it on all walls of the school for everyone to read... hehe, and that wasn't a nice experience)

Why don't you try to log back into this site and delete all the information about you?

They are many sites, and some of them aren't even mine. Like things I've submitted to literary competitions, reviews, city councils, etc.... but quite "controversial" stuff let's say :biggrin:
Besides, everywhere I had put my own pages, I guess I've forgotten all the passwords :P

I actually don't feel ashamed of my past, but it wouldn't be good if, after much gossip, girls/employers came to know about that stuff...
Reply 13
People will do this, a lesson for the future - don't put things on the net you don't want people to see.
look at everyone pretending they don't do it. yeah...right... :rolleyes:

:p:

I have a very unusual last name so if someone does a search on me, the first thing that comes up is about me but I don't really care coz it's not embarrassing. I never sign anything with my name so it's the only thing anyone would find if they were bored enough to want to internet stalk me.
Reply 15
Nah, 100% norml tbh. I've had people check my MSN profile, follow the Favourite Link or whatever, then view my profile on another set of forums, then go to a site from my sig, then go to the About Me page on my blog, then follow a link from there to another forum where I have another profile with varied info.

Traced all of that via IP as I had admin on both sets of forums, and the blog was on my own server. Silly people get too nosey for their liking :p:
Reply 16
Say "You freak" and deny it
Reply 17
I google people I know and myself sometimes when I'm bored. I don't think there's anything weird about it. People google my name, my e-mail address name, my AIM screen name, and other things and then ask me questions about it all the time. Usually they do it when we're chatting online though, or when they're at my house, so I dunno...it doesn't seem as stalkerish.

Tbh, I feel more stalkerish when I go to peoples' myspace pages than I do googling their name.

I generally use a different alias for most things I do on the internet anyway :smile:
Reply 18
I searched a handful of people's names because I was curious.... And anyway I do music, so a lot of people will have reviews and things on the web.

It's a tad weird to do, but just shrug it off!
Reply 19
I admit I do it, my friend calls me a stalker for it. To me the word stalker means following and making malicious calls which I certainly don't do. I found out a friend's bf was advertising himself on a dating website, which he joined whilst in the relationship! Sometimes its better off not searching :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending