The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Angel83
I admit I do it, my friend calls me a stalker for it. To me the word stalker means following and making malicious calls which I certainly don't do. I found out a friend's bf was advertising himself on a dating website, which he joined whilst in the relationship! Sometimes its better off not searching :frown:

Probably better for your friend that you did though :smile:
I'm incredibly careful about my online identity.

But really, the website I made 7 years ago is still up and regularly gets mentioned on my current websites forums, along with the pics of me as a 12 year old with peroxide blonde hair, it's all very funny - except my humourous fan fictions of various things, which are funny precisely because they're not funny.
thats a bit wierd. i met a guy who was a friend of a friend, we got on really well so we swapped msn. he then did a 30 min net search and managed to find my address, some photos, my entire family tree going back hundreds of years, where my parents worked... if i didnt allready know he was stark raving mad i would have been scared. as it is i am now much more careful about what info i give out on the net and i affectionaly call him my stalker.
high priestess fnord
thats a bit wierd. i met a guy who was a friend of a friend, we got on really well so we swapped msn. he then did a 30 min net search and managed to find my address, some photos, my entire family tree going back hundreds of years, where my parents worked... if i didnt allready know he was stark raving mad i would have been scared. as it is i am now much more careful about what info i give out on the net and i affectionaly call him my stalker.

:eek: That's worrying!
Phantom Phoenix
:eek: That's worrying!

he also stole my shoes and threatened to carry me back to my mum when she came to pick me up XD
Reply 25
Phantom Phoenix
Probably better for your friend that you did though :smile:

Well, she was hurt that I didn't personally tell her and found out off another friend. Not heard off her since 6 months ago, but she still talks to this jerk and got back with him for a week but felt it was fake and she couldn't trust him :rolleyes:
Well, she was hurt that I didn't personally tell her and found out off another friend. Not heard off her since 6 months ago, but she still talks to this jerk and got back with him for a week but felt it was fake and she couldn't trust him

At least she's not with the ******* any more. Sorry to hear you lost a friend though :frown:

he also stole my shoes and threatened to carry me back to my mum when she came to pick me up XD

WTF????!!!!! That's just STRANGE! :biggrin:
Phantom Phoenix

WTF????!!!!! That's just STRANGE! :biggrin:

the man is nutty as a fruit cake. code monkeys are all wierd.
Unfortunately the internet is intrusive and if you want privacy you have to use really obscure names. There's someone on here who always searches through my posts obsessively and then replies to every single topic that I've made a reply on...I find it really odd. I have searched people's names on the internet before just out of interest, I must admit, but I don't trawl through pages and pages of their posts just for entertainment-that's incredibly sad!
id say thats a bit bizarre! i read my friends myspace, and also facebook has that "feed" thing that you cant avoid (ie you see what people have done, after you sign in)

but id never just randomly search, thats sad.

im lucky that i share my name with a celeb anyway..so theyd never find my stuff!!
Reply 30
i sort of stalk anyone i can on myspace

i'm also a bit strange

perhaps i just, like, right NOW, caught myself on the road to becoming a dangerous stalker? wow
ph9
i sort of stalk anyone i can on myspace

i'm also a bit strange

perhaps i just, like, right NOW, caught myself on the road to becoming a dangerous stalker? wow

difference is, people sign up for myspace..and message people on myspace...knowing that everyone with an internet connection can read it

thats different to being "caught" using an online game (like the OP), that you played for 10mins when you where bored, not expecting anyone to know
Anonymous
Is it normal that my new friends in my first year at university seach my name on the internet and the following day suddenly ask me: hey, is it true that you did this.../went there.../played that online game.../wrote that...?

I've been stupid enough to have made some webpages when I was smaller (3-4 years ago) in which I - well - wrote BS.

Not the myspace/blog-like stuff, but you know, stuff you wouldn't like people you know in real-life to read. Philosophical stuff, game scores, political ideologies, utopias etc.

And I've also been stupid enough to write all of that with my real name/identity... i never used nicknames on the internet. let's say that it was a time in which i didn't care much about what others thought about me, reputation et al... But now things have changed... uni, new life, new friends.
I'm not feeling so sure anymore when others suddenly tell me what I did 3 years ago...

what should i do when others "investigate" on my background?
simply joke about "what I did when I was younger" (but 3 years isn't also that much, after all)?

I wouldn't necessarily take it as a bad thing. Personally I've often found it a good thing.

If they've google'd you then in all probability they are just interested in you, and getting to know you. Thats a much a compliment as you can wish for having just met someone.

When they bring up stuff they've read about you I wouldn't feel ashamed, either they're genunily curious in you, or they're a complete jerk. At Uni and HE, the former is far more likely.

Besides, it gives you something to talk about, something they feel you are probably interested in. God knows, it is hard getting to know someone when a conversation barely exists.

If they act jerkish, like real pricks as opposed to gentle mocking obviously then you know who to avoid and with good reason too. Sucks that soo many people are cruel jerks, but if it means isolating those who arn't so you can be friends with them, all the better!

Latest

Trending

Trending