The Student Room Group

Student - Income Support please help

Hello

I am going to be studying in September. I have applied for student finance and looks like I am going to get the full amount of grant and loan. And the parent allowance which is not means tested.
I am a single parent and was wondering roughly how much income support I will get?
Is there anyone in my position who would be able to tell me how much they get, Income support won't tell me till September when I make the change to my account.

Thanks Sewing Bee
Original post by sewing bee
Hello

I am going to be studying in September. I have applied for student finance and looks like I am going to get the full amount of grant and loan. And the parent allowance which is not means tested.
I am a single parent and was wondering roughly how much income support I will get?
Is there anyone in my position who would be able to tell me how much they get, Income support won't tell me till September when I make the change to my account.

Thanks Sewing Bee

Hi,

It depends on the age of your child when you start the course. If your child/youngest child is under 5- you can claim income support dependent on your income and savings etc. If you have children older than 5 but younger than 16, you can claim income support in the summer holidays only.

Your tuition fee loan doesn't count as income, but your maintenance loan and grant do, so this will affect the amount of income support you will get. Your best bet might be to put all the income/savings you'll have in September into the http://www.entitledto.co.uk/ calculator- this will tell you exactly what you're eligible for. You'll probably be eligible for child tax credits etc. as well as other benefits you might not have thought of.
Reply 2
I just want to inform by daughter is 3 so under 5. Turn to us wont work as if your employed you are not entitled to income support and there isn't a student option. That's why I wanted to ask someone in my position.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending