The Student Room Group

South Carolina Police Officer shoots dead unarmed black man

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by InnerTemple
No. But it doesn't warrant being shot dead.

As far as I am aware, use of lethal force is only justified in certain circumstances. You don't blow someone away in order to effect an arrest - do you?

It's a bit like theft isn't ok. If someone stole something, the police would come around and arrest that person. They wouldn't turn up and summarily execute them.

I agree. He should've been shot in the legs instead, not the back.
This is the first of the Race Panic incidents in the US that is truly credible. It is notable that it is also the only one that resulted in charges before rather than after the broadsheet press piled in.
Footage on the BBC is edited. The full footage is even worse - showing the officer planting evidence and also revealing the initial report to be a pack of lies.

Pretty bad stuff.

I'd like to see the full footage.

We've had a recent spate of these shootings and when the full facts emerge th police have been vindicated.
Original post by Exon

Oh yeah. Cool. :rolleyes:

Original post by Observatory
This is the first of the Race Panic incidents in the US that is truly credible. It is notable that it is also the only one that resulted in charges before rather than after the broadsheet press piled in.

The worst thing is that it is only credible because (read: the white guy is only being prosecuted because) it was filmed.

Had this not been filmed, the police department's original report would have stood. Scott's name would be tarnished and he would be to blame.

You'd have the local community up in arms and the TSR "White genocide" gang going loopy.
Original post by Exon
The victim didn't deserve being accused of stealing a taser. That cover-up attempt is probably what got the cop (rightly) charged.

You don't run away from a cop though, that's just asking to get shot. Not in the back but the legs maybe?

You think a white man would be shot like this? The cop practically pulled out his gun and unloaded like he was doing target practice.

He then casually strolls over and plants a gun on a dead body. That is pure evil!
Reply 25
Original post by Silver Arrow
You think a white man would be shot like this? The cop practically pulled out his gun and unloaded like he was doing target practice.

He then casually strolls over and plants a gun on a dead body. That is pure evil!

I don't see why not.

I mentioned that in my first post. It was wrong, no questions asked but it's not relevant to my second point.
Reply 26
Oh yeah. Cool. :rolleyes:

The worst thing is that it is only credible because (read: the white guy is only being prosecuted because) it was filmed.

Had this not been filmed, the police department's original report would have stood. Scott's name would be tarnished and he would be to blame.

You'd have the local community up in arms and the TSR "White genocide" gang going loopy.

Isn't it standard practice to record these things? I would've thought so.
Original post by Exon

Difficult enough to sheet the torso with a pistol let alone at limbs.

That's why police and military are taught to shoot for centre mass.

Famous case in the 70s of a soldier shooting to wound in Belfast and killing a girl.
Reply 28

The Tamir Rice one was pretty credible IMO.
Original post by MatureStudent36
I'd like to see the full footage.

We've had a recent spate of these shootings and when the full facts emerge th police have been vindicated.

It's around - quite easy to obtain.

The officer is clearly trying to detain Scott. But it isn't really anything serious - they are both standing.

An object is knocked from the officer's hands. It falls behind him on the ground. This object turns out to be a taser.

Scott immediately runs away. He is a fair distance away before the 8 shots are discharged.

The officer goes over to Scott. He handcuffed Scott who is clearly not concious - I'd imagine dead.

The Officer then walks back, picks up the taser and proceeds to put it by Scotts body.

The police report says that the Officer attempts CPR. The video, this records the aftermath, shows no first aid being given.

It is pretty damning - the video and the fact it shows the officer setting Scott up and also reveals the report to be lies.
Original post by Exon
The Tamir Rice one was pretty credible IMO.

Credible in the sense that it happened, but I could see it happening in a white area in Britain too.

Without the evidence it wouldn't be credible and people arguing for prosecution probably would be motivated by racial animus rather than logic. I'm not sure if that is what you are saying though.
Original post by Exon
That cover-up attempt is probably what got the cop (rightly) charged.

I think you'll find it was killing someone who posed no threat to him that got him charged.
It's around - quite easy to obtain.

The officer is clearly trying to detain Scott. But it isn't really anything serious - they are both standing.

An object is knocked from the officer's hands. It falls behind him on the ground. This object turns out to be a taser.

Scott immediately runs away. He is a fair distance away before the 8 shots are discharged.

The officer goes over to Scott. He handcuffed Scott who is clearly not concious - I'd imagine dead.

The Officer then walks back, picks up the taser and proceeds to put it by Scotts body.

The police report says that the Officer attempts CPR. The video, this records the aftermath, shows no first aid being given.

It is pretty damning - the video and the fact it shows the officer setting Scott up and also reveals the report to be lies.

Can't find it so can't comment.

If it's as you say he should go down, but we've had a lot of damning eyewitness account that backs up the police accounts.
Wait a few days until the full footage gets released.

For someone who complain about antisemitism in Europe you don;t half jump to the "it's always the black thugs fault" side in these shootings :erm:

Even when there is actual video evidence.
Without the evidence it wouldn't be credible and people arguing for prosecution probably would be motivated by racial animus rather than logic. I'm not sure if that is what you are saying though.

I'm not sure.

Even without video you'd have had the witness - i.e. the person who made the video in the first place. I guess it would be their word against the officer.

I still doubt it would result in the officer being prosecuted though.

I mean look at some of the posts on this thread - some people here just can't believe that the black guy could be without blame and the officer in the wrong.

Can't find it so can't comment.

If it's as you say he should go down, but we've had a lot of damning eyewitness account that backs up the police accounts.

Really? Accounts from who?!

The video exists on liveleak (dot) com - which is the media's go to place when they want to source nasty videos.
Reply 36
Original post by Good bloke
I think you'll find it was killing someone who posed no threat to him that got him charged.

What I said exposed his motives.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
For someone who complain about antisemitism in Europe you don;t half jump to the "it's always the black thugs fault" side in these shootings :erm:

Even when there is actual video evidence.

Not at all.

Merely highlighting the 'poor innocent black teenager gunned down by the police' stories recently result in 'black gang member with criminal past attempted to injure or kill police officer.'

I'm not sure what facts could possibly emerge that would exonerate a police officer who clearly fired eight times at an unarmed suspect that was running directly away from him. He was in a residential district and the bullets that missed could easily have injured or killed people in the houses around. He then reportedly just handcuffed the body, without immediately checking the victim's health, and proceeded to plant the taser on the body.
Original post by Exon
What I said exposed his motives.

Eh? The video exposed him.

Quick Reply

Latest